Iphone or Android users who are considering switching to Huawei model with no Google Mobile Services

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
If you are a Iphone or user of a Android device which has got GMS on it, but you are looking into getting one of the newer Huawei models which comes without Google Mobile Services but instead with Huawei Mobile Services, then I am broadcasting a how to guide on how to move your WhatsApp over to the new HMS Huawei handset.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Windows Phone all over again
Exactly!

It was an excellent operating system that died for me personally when Google stopped supporting it.

I’ll not take that risk again with anything.

At least on iPhone if they ever (stupidly) decided to pull the plug I would simply flip everything to Apple and say good riddance Google.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Play Services is the heart of Android. The minute you need to start side loading and find hacks to do things, you can't call it Android anymore.
Lol that's like saying Linux without the redhat package manager isn't Linux.

newby_investor

Expert Member
Exactly!

It was an excellent operating system that died for me personally when Google stopped supporting it.

I’ll not take that risk again with anything.

At least on iPhone if they ever (stupidly) decided to pull the plug I would simply flip everything to Apple and say good riddance Google.
Huawei are not likely to stop supporting their products. Even if just to cater to their own domestic market where Google isn't allowed.

If you aren't embedded in Google's eco-system, I see this as very low-risk.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Huawei are not likely to stop supporting their products. Even if just to cater to their own domestic market where Google isn't allowed.

If you aren't embedded in Google's eco-system, I see this as very low-risk.
I didn’t infer Huawei would stop supporting their products, I was referring Google would stop supporting Huawei’s products with the example should they ever do this on Apple I would just happily switch to Apple’s own virtually identical products.

Those don’t exist for Huawei or simply aren’t on par.

Exact same thing happened with Windows Phone when Google pulled the plug and it became useless to me personally.

newby_investor

Expert Member
I didn’t infer Huawei would stop supporting their products, I was referring Google would stop supporting Huawei’s products with the example should they ever do this on Apple I would just happily switch to Apple’s own virtually identical products.

Those don’t exist for Huawei or simply aren’t on par.

Exact same thing happened with Windows Phone when Google pulled the plug and it became useless to me personally.
Ok, fair point.

I personally use very few of Google's products regularly except for YouTube and maps, both of which can be accessed from a mobile browser just fine. So for me, the lack of GMS wouldn't be a big deal at all.

The rest of my cloud functionality is all self-hosted and I would be able to implement it regardless of the platform I think.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Ok, fair point.

I personally use very few of Google's products regularly except for YouTube and maps, both of which can be accessed from a mobile browser just fine. So for me, the lack of GMS wouldn't be a big deal at all.

The rest of my cloud functionality is all self-hosted and I would be able to implement it regardless of the platform I think.
“Just fine” is however not good enough and immediately loses you a great many features that made it useful in the first place.

Let’s see, Google hosts my...

Navigation (When not using Apple Maps)
Mail
Calendar
Contacts
Photos
Bookmarks
Documents
Meetings
Chats
Notes
YouTube

Probably more I can’t think of right now. Many of these are in a business capacity which would make a device without them dead in the water.

Partly why even as an Apple die hard I haven’t switched many of them voluntarily as there would still be many that remain and therefore the effort seems pointless.

newby_investor

Expert Member
“Just fine” is however not good enough and immediately loses you a great many features that made it useful in the first place.

Let’s see, Google hosts my...

Navigation (When not using Apple Maps)
Mail
Calendar
Contacts
Photos
Bookmarks
Documents
Meetings
Chats
Notes
YouTube

Probably more I can’t think of right now. Many of these are in a business capacity which would make a device without them dead in the water.

Partly why even as an Apple die hard I haven’t switched many of them voluntarily as there would still be many that remain and therefore the effort seems pointless.
Yeah Google does provide a fair amount of convenience, but I've specifically avoided becoming too dependent on the eco-system. I've been burned by vendor lock-in in the past so I try to go with open stuff that I can control as much as possible. I'm also wary of Google somewhat, as there have been reports that they arbitrarily close peoples' accounts for "TOS violations" and then goodbye access to all your data.

So from your list, I use the following apps on my phone
Navigation (but since I am mostly a creature of habit and don't go new places much I seldom need this)
YouTube (though I mostly avoid using a phone, why use a 5" screen when I have a big one to watch videos on)
Contacts - just for convenience really, and switching to another service is pretty trivial

I don't use
Mail - I have a gmail address but my primary one is on my own domain which I host on another provider. Since I own the domain I can switch around as much as possible
Calendar - don't really use this for my personal capacity, for work I just use work-provided one. Sync it up with my desktop PIM app.
Photos - I self-host this on a microserver with backups at my folks' place
Bookmarks - firefox sync
Documents - also self-hosted
Meetings - work uses Zoom, so I've got no need for this really
Chats - we've got a self-hosted slack clone at the office for professional stuff, and for personal things everyone uses whatsapp so that's what I go with
Notes - also self-host this

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Yeah Google does provide a fair amount of convenience, but I've specifically avoided becoming too dependent on the eco-system. I've been burned by vendor lock-in in the past so I try to go with open stuff that I can control as much as possible. I'm also wary of Google somewhat, as there have been reports that they arbitrarily close peoples' accounts for "TOS violations" and then goodbye access to all your data.

So from your list, I use the following apps on my phone
Navigation (but since I am mostly a creature of habit and don't go new places much I seldom need this)
YouTube (though I mostly avoid using a phone, why use a 5" screen when I have a big one to watch videos on)
Contacts - just for convenience really, and switching to another service is pretty trivial

I don't use
Mail - I have a gmail address but my primary one is on my own domain which I host on another provider. Since I own the domain I can switch around as much as possible
Calendar - don't really use this for my personal capacity, for work I just use work-provided one. Sync it up with my desktop PIM app.
Photos - I self-host this on a microserver with backups at my folks' place
Bookmarks - firefox sync
Documents - also self-hosted
Meetings - work uses Zoom, so I've got no need for this really
Chats - we've got a self-hosted slack clone at the office for professional stuff, and for personal things everyone uses whatsapp so that's what I go with
Notes - also self-host this
Well they aren’t going to arbitrarily close an account that you paid for, they like money too much especially when there are a few hundred other accounts attached to it.

Personal accounts are a different story because they are “free” and therefore have many more conditions applicable of course.

While there certainly are always alternatives very rarely are they better or even on par, otherwise I would be using them.

It’s silly to compromise just because things are open source or ticks some arbitrary box.

Sticking with Huawei in this context is exactly such a compromise.

newby_investor

Expert Member
Well they aren’t going to arbitrarily close an account that you paid for, they like money too much especially when there are a few hundred other accounts attached to it.

Personal accounts are a different story because they are “free” and therefore have many more conditions applicable of course.

While there certainly are always alternatives very rarely are they better or even on par, otherwise I would be using them.

It’s silly to compromise just because things are open source or ticks some arbitrary box.

Sticking with Huawei in this context is exactly such a compromise.
We've got down to use-cases again and mine are clearly different. The only thing mentioned where Google is miles ahead is YouTube (IMO) and I'd struggle to replace that.

Sure, someone else might use Google's (or any other provider's) products differently than me, and rely on that in some way. For me, they are in fact the subpar alternatives. I used to use Gmail a lot more, but come on, it's email. It hardly stands out. The only reason they ever stood out or caught hold I think is that they're "free", and so a lot of people use them.

My point was that, since I'm not so reliant on Google, that a switch to Huawei wouldn't be a problem for me at all. Everything I want to do, I can do. (Yes, I try to use open-source stuff wherever I can but I'm not religious about it, and it's also a separate issue.)

It would be like moving to another country where beef is difficult to get - sure, they have no boerewors, but if I'm a vegetarian, does it matter?

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
We've got down to use-cases again and mine are clearly different. The only thing mentioned where Google is miles ahead is YouTube (IMO) and I'd struggle to replace that.

Sure, someone else might use Google's (or any other provider's) products differently than me, and rely on that in some way. For me, they are in fact the subpar alternatives. I used to use Gmail a lot more, but come on, it's email. It hardly stands out. The only reason they ever stood out or caught hold I think is that they're "free", and so a lot of people use them.

My point was that, since I'm not so reliant on Google, that a switch to Huawei wouldn't be a problem for me at all. Everything I want to do, I can do. (Yes, I try to use open-source stuff wherever I can but I'm not religious about it, and it's also a separate issue.)

It would be like moving to another country where beef is difficult to get - sure, they have no boerewors, but if I'm a vegetarian, does it matter?
Sure thing, problem is I can almost guarantee you are the outlier and minority through your examples and therefore they don’t apply to Joe Average.

Huawei sells phones to Joe Average who will in time stop using them if they can’t get all the things to work like they want it to.

Even a single thing such as YouTube being missing or not working as expected is enough to turn many a person away.

We’ve seen this all before, it’s how Windows Phone died. This isn’t anything new at all.

As much as you consider yourself special and catered to, the reality is that companies don’t market and sell to minorities.

newby_investor

Expert Member
Sure thing, problem is I can almost guarantee you are the outlier and minority through your examples and therefore they don’t apply to Joe Average.

Huawei sells phones to Joe Average who will in time stop using them if they can’t get all the things to work like they want it to.

Even a single thing such as YouTube being missing or not working as expected is enough to turn many a person away.

We’ve seen this all before, it’s how Windows Phone died. This isn’t anything new at all.

As much as you consider yourself special and catered to, the reality is that companies don’t market and sell to minorities.
I don't really know about Windows Phone, being a Linux guy myself I never really paid it any attention.

That being said - I know a fair amount of people who aren't invested in Google at all. Non-techies mostly - getting a new phone they always seem surprised that they need to remember a gmail password (or in fact a login). If the phone has WhatsApp, Instagram, Facebook, internet banking, then they seem sorted. And Huawei seems to have taken pains to assure people that most stuff is functional on their platform.

I realise my experience is anectodal and not necessarily representative.

Companies can and do market and sell to minorities. They may not be the most profitable, but if there's enough of a niche that they can sell (and in a global market, there usually is) then it can profitable enough to be sustainable.

But then again maybe not. Huawei are successful enough in their own domestic market that I'm pretty sure they're not going away. It may be that they end up not bothering to sell in any other country though. I guess we'll see.