iPhone prices could go up 20% if Apple forced to build in US

konfab

Honorary Master
Apple is the perfect company to target IMO. Its not as if the iSheep care how much their toys cost.

R13...

Honorary Master
Apple is the perfect company to target IMO. Its not as if the iSheep care how much their toys cost.
Ignorant remark that. China will impose a reciprocal tariff meaning Apple would have to look at the net effect of it. Make products in the US at a higher cost and then import them to China and have a tariff imposed on them or continue to make products in China and only pay the US tariff? They'd also have no incentive to repatriate profits if they're forced to make products in different markets.

konfab

Honorary Master
Ignorant remark that. China will impose a reciprocal tariff meaning Apple would have to look at the net effect of it. Make products in the US at a higher cost and then import them to China and have a tariff imposed on them or continue to make products in China and only pay the US tariff? They'd also have no incentive to repatriate profits if they're forced to make products in different markets.
Either option will mean the iSheep will pay more, and even if that is isn't the case, Apple can absorb the impact quite easily as they have a 37% profit margin.

Takkies

iPhone prices could go up 20% if Apple forced to build in US

Following recent statements from US President Donald Trump that Apple should produce its devices in the US to avoid Chinese import tariffs, analysts have weighed in on the matter.
Aren't Apple getting a tax incentive though? Apple could probably absorb this quite easily
Seems to me that making them in the US may even be better in the long run. It would provide American jobs and I'm sure the product would not suffer at all.

R13...

Honorary Master
Aren't Apple getting a tax incentive though? Apple could probably absorb this quite easily
Seems to me that making them in the US may even be better in the long run. It would provide American jobs and I'm sure the product would not suffer at all.
Or Trump could stop with the tariff threats and they make even more money. Part of the tax incentive was to encourage the likes of Apple to bring back some of the money they hold overseas to avoid US taxes.

Knyro

Honorary Master
Or they could just produce them in another cheap country and avoid tarrifs that way. Then keep moving as required.

Should be fun watching Trump systematically slap tarrifs on the whole world country by country. :p