iPhone shipments plummet in China as Huawei tightens grip

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
iPhone shipments plummet in China as Huawei tightens grip

Apple Inc.’s Chinese smartphone shipments plummeted an estimated 20 percent in 2018’s final quarter, underscoring the scale of the iPhone maker’s retreat in the world’s largest mobile device arena against local rivals like Huawei Technologies Co.

The domestic market contracted 9.7 percent in the quarter, but Apple declined at about twice that pace, research firm IDC said in a report on Monday.

[Bloomberg]

whatwhat

Executive Member
Anecdotal, but I go to China often and the number of people with cracked screen iPhone 6/7/8's here outnumber the X/XS/XR/Max users by a long shot. So yes, people don't seem to be upgrading their phones as much as they used to. I see the same in Hong Kong where I stay.

Airpods however are plentiful everywhere.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Anecdotal, but I go to China often and the number of people with cracked screen iPhone 6/7/8's here outnumber the X/XS/XR/Max users by a long shot. So yes, people don't seem to be upgrading their phones as much as they used to. I see the same in Hong Kong where I stay.

Airpods however are plentiful everywhere.
Funny how Airpods have gone from ridicule to 'cool' recently.

And funny how Apple launches a physical dual sim iPhone to boost sales in China and it flopped, when I reckon it would boost sales anywhere else in the world and they didn't release one.

whatwhat

Executive Member
Funny how Airpods have gone from ridicule to 'cool' recently.

And funny how Apple launches a physical dual sim iPhone to boost sales in China and it flopped, when I reckon it would boost sales anywhere else in the world and they didn't release one.
The problem with the eSim phone is that very few providers support it. Only around the end of this year will you see better support for it, but it will still take about 2-3 years for it to become more of a standard as more phones support it.

My contract sims for Asia and the USA are all eSim now, so it's a breeze to change when I fly around. Leaves the sim slot free for my trusty Cell C sim when I go back to Africa (pending loadshedding for cellular signal)

Spizz

Goat Botherer
The problem with the eSim phone is that very few providers support it. Only around the end of this year will you see better support for it, but it will still take about 2-3 years for it to become more of a standard as more phones support it.

My contract sims for Asia and the USA are all eSim now, so it's a breeze to change when I fly around. Leaves the sim slot free for my trusty Cell C sim when I go back to Africa (pending loadshedding for cellular signal)
I'm waiting with bated breath for Vodacom to support eSim, but I just know it's going to be a long wait and an even longer sob story.

I'm in Indonesia just now and they have the gray imports form China which I am seriously considering. Xr comes in around R13k for a 128gb model which is cheaper than SA by a couple of grand, but I already have an Xr and am praying eSim support comes soon becasue it would be much more preferable for me than the physical dual sim.