iPhone - SMS Delivery Reports Vodacom

Anony-mousse

Expert Member
there is obviously no way for vodacom users to have a ridiculous delivery report. with all these flaws the iphone has i am seriously considering selling this piece of junk and buy an x1.

LandyMan

Honorary Master
Ok, I don't have an iphone, and never even used one, but this can't be too difficult, can it?
I mean, if you look at a normal phone, you have a tick box for delivery report or not.

So what exactly happens with this tick box? I would imagine that the tick box is injecting some sort of code into the number, or into the data being sent, otherwise how can you control this from your handset?

What I am trying to say is this: this *rrr# type thing is most probably available on the network (unless the other phones handle this differently), it is just a question of figuring out exactly what the phone/network does and to replicate this on the iPhone

fxit_man

Executive Member
Ok, I don't have an iphone, and never even used one, but this can't be too difficult, can it?
I mean, if you look at a normal phone, you have a tick box for delivery report or not.

So what exactly happens with this tick box? I would imagine that the tick box is injecting some sort of code into the number, or into the data being sent, otherwise how can you control this from your handset?

What I am trying to say is this: this *rrr# type thing is most probably available on the network (unless the other phones handle this differently), it is just a question of figuring out exactly what the phone/network does and to replicate this on the iPhone

Exactly why I asked Vodacom3G.. I assumed that the phone's with delivery report support simply request the deliver report code (e.g. on MTN, the "rrr" code), and automatically, behind the scene without the user knowing, injects this into the message..

So it's just a case of asking someone who knows their sh*t at Vodacom..

If i'm wrong, then I'm sure it's not that hard to implement anyways..Just a case of it actually being done, hence the reason of this thread..

Please please please Vodacom DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS!!!

:(

fxit_man

Executive Member
Have been speaking to VodacomData (the new voda representative on the site) and he explained that this query has been escalated to HPS in the UK

Not sure what HPS is but it sounds good :)

/awaits reply from VodacomData again :D

hypn

speaking to a sound board

I have phoned the entire Vodacom and even used autopage to phone the entire vodacom and the standard reply, we don't offer such a service. I don't think it's a service it's part of programming a phone - if the entire world uses it what makes vodacom the one company that manage to beat the process.

I hear the call of MTN again and this just after I ported a month ago - Damn

chris2.0

MTN even has one... rrr is reported to be working on MTN as a Delivery Report code.. Type it at the beginning of your message

Man, going to try that on my Palm Centro tonite - one of the reasons I stopped using it was the missing delivery reports!!! Never could find a code that worked for VC or MTN!

But yeah, chalk up another EPIC FAIL for the iPhone and VC... Just hope they don't get their hands on the Palm Pre, or it fscked...

hypn

reply that vodacom is going to get from me - "my money is not good enough for Vodacoms lack of trying"

fxit_man

Executive Member
reply that vodacom is going to get from me - "my money is not good enough for Vodacoms lack of trying"

that is the same thing i said..

maybe its time to make the move... MTN has much better EDGE coverage anyway (for my 2G)

Vodacoms EDGE coverage (or lack thereof) is pathetic

WyldPhoenix

Is it just me or did we not used to get Delivery Reports back in the day?

I am pretty sure that my g/f uses them extensively on her Nokia?!?

Or am I loosing it?

fxit_man

Executive Member

Or am I loosing it?

iPhone does not have a SMS delivery report function..

So we asked Vodacom if they could provide a code for us to type at the beginning of a message e.g.

rrr Hello

Will reply with a SMS delivery report.

Other providers throughout the world have this (even Vodafone, who I understand extensively if not fully owns Vodacom). MTN also has this.

fxit_man

Executive Member
just an update on this for the record.

iPhone SMS delivery is now available.. you need to jailbreak your phone first

iPhoneDelivery is the name of the app. See my sig for more details

WyldPhoenix

WyldPhoenix said:

Or am I loosing it?

Just to confirm: My girlfriend is using a new model Nokia on Contract, on the Vodacom network at the moment.

She does not get a "SMS" in her inbox as a delivery report, but what she DOES get is a little "Message Delivered" message that gets displayed on her screen once the SMS she sent is delivered to the recipient!

I have tested it by turning MY iphone off, and then using her Nokia to send me a SMS - she only gets the confirmation "Message Delivered" message once I turn my iphone back on, and actually receive her SMS.

I don't think that she pays for this "Message Delivered" confirmation.

Any ideas?

just an update on this for the record.

iPhone SMS delivery is now available.. you need to jailbreak your phone first

iPhoneDelivery is the name of the app. See my sig for more details

EXCELLENT NEWS fxit_man, BUT what's it going to cost us as the iPhone users?

Are we going to be charged for receiving the delivery report?

If we have a SMS bundle, does the delivery report cost come out of that?

:D

fxit_man

Executive Member
EXCELLENT NEWS fxit_man, BUT what's it going to cost us as the iPhone users?

Are we going to be charged for receiving the delivery report?

If we have a SMS bundle, does the delivery report cost come out of that?

:D

Nothing. It's free :) Can either be a flash message like the nokia one you mentioned or a seperate SMS. Very nifty.