iPhone stolen, how to retain number/SIM swop?

riscbroker

Expert Member
A friend just had his iPhone stolen, we tracked it, tried calling it but it goes straight to voice mail, so presumably it is switched off. All content is locked and everything is backed up to the cloud.

Chances of recovery are about nil, so how do we go about retaining the number - it's a prepaid SIM?

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
Something similar happened to me about 7 years ago
I just went to my closest Vodacom shop with my ID, proof of residence etc and got a new sim for 30 bux or whatever it was and they did a sim swap. If thats what it is called. Pretty painless and within 24hrs the new sim was working

riscbroker

Expert Member
All done, phone remotely erased and blacklisted, SIM swop done at the Vodacom outlet. He needs to wait until about 8pm apparently before putting the new SIM into a replacement phone. Guys at the Vodacom shop reckon there is no chance of the thief activating the phone.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
All done, phone remotely erased and blacklisted, SIM swop done at the Vodacom outlet. He needs to wait until about 8pm apparently before putting the new SIM into a replacement phone. Guys at the Vodacom shop reckon there is no chance of the thief activating the phone.
How was it stolen?

Tander

Executive Member
Less than zero. It's "iCloud locked" - so its good as a door stop now.

riscbroker

Expert Member
How was it stolen?
He was sunning himself on the beach - there were very few people around, one lady nearby and a couple of kids. He had his dog with him and all his stuff in a carry bag, the furthest he went from his stuff was about 10 metres so he's really not sure how it was taken. We tracked it to a local township shortly afterwards, then it was turned off.

The_Hobbit

Honorary Master
He was sunning himself on the beach - there were very few people around, one lady nearby and a couple of kids. He had his dog with him and all his stuff in a carry bag, the furthest he went from his stuff was about 10 metres so he's really not sure how it was taken. We tracked it to a local township shortly afterwards, then it was turned off.
Opportunists everywhere these days... eish man.

riscbroker

Expert Member
This is why I love iPhone.
@riscbroker tell your friend to be on the lookout for scammy SMS' or Whatsapp messages claiming to be from Apple requesting a 2fa code to trace the old phone. Thieves will be trying to unlock the old phone this way.
Thanks, will do. But how would they get his number? The phone was locked when they pinched it and I don't think they would have had time to guess his PIN code.

The_Hobbit

Honorary Master
Thanks, will do. But how would they get his number? The phone was locked when they pinched it and I don't think they would have had time to guess his PIN code.
Stick his sim in a burner phone briefly and dial *135*501#
But if it was locked at sim level, not sure... some fundi may know more.
He could have an insider at Voda get it for him from the sim.

riscbroker

Expert Member
Stick his sim in a burner phone briefly and dial *135*501#
But if it was locked at sim level, not sure... some fundi may know more.
He could have an insider at Voda get it for him from the sim.
Of course, I didn't even think of putting the SIM in another phone.......
@Ockie should be able to tell us

Last edited:

Neuk_

Expert Member
A friend had his iPhone stolen yesterday during a robbery at the complex he lives in and the spamming started today :rolleyes: Is there any fun to be had?