iPhone WiFI hotspot function disappeared

lotus123

Hi all

We have an iPhone 8 using Cell C prepaid (this SIM has been active for years).

The WiFi hotspot function suddenly disappeared from the menu a couple of weeks ago.

I suspect this may have something to do with APNs or a switchover to Vodacom roaming (calling and LTE data are working okay).

As expected, the Cell C shop and Apple store have no answers.

Has anyone seen this and can suggest a fix?

TIA

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Hi all

We have an iPhone 8 using Cell C prepaid (this SIM has been active for years).

The WiFi hotspot function suddenly disappeared from the menu a couple of weeks ago.

I suspect this may have something to do with APNs or a switchover to Vodacom roaming (calling and LTE data are working okay).

As expected, the Cell C shop and Apple store have no answers.

Has anyone seen this and can suggest a fix?

TIA

Just thought, but I had no WiFi hotspot function on my iPhone when I was using Orange network in Senegal. Apparently Orange disabled it so you couldn't share and as a way of keeping the data usage down. I'm wondering if Vodacom have somehow disabled it on the package you are on so you can't share and keep the data usage limited only to your device?

Further to this, when I downgraded contract type earlier in the year, even though it was the same phone number and nothing else changed except I downgraded to Smart S+, Vodacom somehow disabled my VoWiFi and it took ages before I found someone online who admitted it and turned it back on.

Go to a store and ask them to check if it is enabled.

lotus123

Just thought, but I had no WiFi hotspot function on my iPhone when I was using Orange network in Senegal. Apparently Orange disabled it so you couldn't share and as a way of keeping the data usage down. I'm wondering if Vodacom have somehow disabled it on the package you are on so you can't share and keep the data usage limited only to your device?

Further to this, when I downgraded contract type earlier in the year, even though it was the same phone number and nothing else changed except I downgraded to Smart S+, Vodacom somehow disabled my VoWiFi and it took ages before I found someone online who admitted it and turned it back on.

Go to a store and ask them to check if it is enabled.
Sadly the store staff were baffled by this.

And now my daughter has discovered that her iPhone with Cell C has the same problem. And when she tries to set up the personal hotspot she gets the message "call Cell C for assistance in setting this up".

But after numerous calls to 147 we're still waiting for someone to call us back to assist, after the service desk operator took our contact details.

Maybe the Cell C rep on this forum can help out?

• Sad
Reactions: Yuu

Cell_C

Cell C Representative
Company Rep
Sadly the store staff were baffled by this.

And now my daughter has discovered that her iPhone with Cell C has the same problem. And when she tries to set up the personal hotspot she gets the message "call Cell C for assistance in setting this up".

But after numerous calls to 147 we're still waiting for someone to call us back to assist, after the service desk operator took our contact details.

Maybe the Cell C rep on this forum can help out?
Hi Lotus123

Please PM us the Cell C/ID number in question so we can investigate and assist with this issue.

^NZ