South Africa has edged out England to be named host nation of the 2009 IPL. The decision was made after a meeting between the IPL commissioner, Lalit Modi, and the Cricket South Africa chief executive, Gerald Majola, in Johannesburg on Tuesday. IPL also announced that a final schedule for the 59 matches and the host venues for the eight franchises will also be announced shortly.
Modi and Majola had a press conference for 3pm GMT, where an official announcement was made. Cricinfo understands that the IPL's opening ceremony will be held in Cape Town, and the tournament will commence on April 18, a week later than initially scheduled. Sources said Johannesburg, Durban, Centurion, Port Elizabeth, East London and Cape Town would be the host venues.
South Africa had been considered the favourite to host the IPL's second season since IPL officials voiced concerns over the effect England's springtime weather might have on the tournament. England also faced issues in the form of cost, scheduling and the likelihood of conflict between television rights holders. South Africa's chances were further boosted after the country's government got actively involved in wooing the IPL, throwing in assurances on security and speedy clearance of visas for players and officials.
"A lot of factors were considered by us while evaluating the final choice for the host venue," N Srinivasan, secretary of the Indian board, said in a press release. "However, in the final analysis I think it was the South African weather, which prevailed and tilted the balance in favour of the Rainbow Nation."
In the event, the IPL's decision to move to South Africa has been greeted with relief by the league's franchises and players. Muttiah Muralitharan, who plays for Chennai Super Kings, said it was the right decision for the league because "the game must go on, else cricket would die". Amrit Mathur, the chief operating officer of the Delhi franchise, said the team was happy that the issue has been settled. "We are very happy and with the clarity on venues, we can proceed to make the necessary arrangements," he said.
There had been much speculation as to where the IPL's second season would be based after Cricinfo identified South Africa as a possible destination last Friday. Senior officials from the IPL and CSA denied the report at the time, but have since been locked in intense discussions to finalise the unprecedented move.
With the decision now made, the real work begins. Security arrangements - which forced the tournament out of India - will need to be arranged, and an estimated 400 players and officials will require visas and accommodation. In all, 59 matches will be held over a six week period. Given the severe time constraints, it seems unfeasible that this year's IPL will possess the bells and whistles of 2008.
Modi was initially scheduled to fly to London on Tuesday night to meet with ECB officials, but it is unclear whether he will adhere to those travel plans. With time of the essence, logistical issues delayed the opportunity for a coherent response from the ECB, whose chairman, Giles Clarke, and chief executive, David Collier, had been on opposite sides of the world in Australia and Guyana respectively, when contacted by IPL officials on Saturday. The pair reconvened for the first time at Lord's this morning, by which stage discussions with CSA were well underway.
"It is very important for world cricket that this tournament is staged, but ultimately it is a matter for the BCCI where it is staged," Clarke told Cricinfo hours before the IPL decided on South Africa. "We're happy to help, but if it's not staged here, we've got a great deal to do this season anyway. That is how we see it. It is not a competitive situation from our point of view, at all. It can be staged here, the government is keen support it, but the most important thing is that this tournament goes ahead, wherever it is staged."
Initially, England had emerged as the preferred venue to host the tournament after a powerful lobby within the BCCI and the Indian team management felt that such a move would help in preparing for the World Twenty20 in June.
However, weather has turned out to be the principal factor to have swayed the BCCI officials, a bulk of whom had been in favour of England until Monday morning when the realisation occurred that rain could seriously affect "as many as 70% of the matches" in the Twenty20 tournament.