ipods

skuzzy

Expert Member
does anyone here have an ipod or an ipod mini because i want to get and i want to know the pros and cons of them.....

ThAnKs

No pixels were harmed in the making of this post............. :)

kilps

Expert Member
I am not sure about the iPod mini but from what I an see (at www.apple.co.za) It would just be better to get the normal iPod (unless you want what the iPod mini has compared to the iPod)

I have seen that Makro have a iPod on special but have not compared the prices etc.

All that I ask is that you try out a Mac - kilps

Spamtheman

Jesus, someone let the evangelical mac fiends out of the closet again, but I do have to admit, the iPod is the single product apple have developed that I would not kill someone just for owning.

skuzzy

Expert Member
yea, it is the only apple product that i like...........and yes the king of macs is out again.

martin

Expert Member
Mac bashing aside, I still consider the Creative Nomad to be a superior product.

All that I ask is that you try out a Mac, coke and fries - martin

ipodmusicman

I have an iPod, the 4th Gen 40GB model and I love it! I had the Creative Nomad Jukebox Zen Xtra 40GB before that - got that last year October. I sold that and got the iPod instead - got it from the USA. It is a far more superior product (sorry Martin). I know mini_itch wanted some info and here it is.

1. The iPod is small! So small, it fits nicely into any pocket. Now that I could not do with my Zen Xtra.
2. I absoluately love the erganomics of the iPod controls - the ClickWheel of the 4G iPod. It is amazing! I can get to the music I need very quickly - the interface is very user friendly and navigating though it is a breeze.
3. The support for the iPod out there is unbelievable! You can get accessories galore for it - even an adaptor that will allow you to connect it up to the your car head unit's CD changer interface and not only have the clear audio coming through your head unit, but also control your iPod from your head unit / steering controls (if you have them). Dension, Alphine, and BMW have some good offerings - Dension has a distributor in SA and the Dension product is compatible with many car and aftermarket head units out there - even those found in Europian cars like Renault, Peugoet, Citroen, etc. Other accessories include car chargers, a device that you'd connect to your digital camera to download your pics to the iPod, voice recorders, etc.
4. I also like the fact that you can put your iPod in a dock while in use. Very nice!
5. The connectivity to your PC is great! it appears as a drive letter on "My Computer" like a flash drive or removeable hard drive would so making copying data files very easy and quick. But to upload mp3s, use software like Anapod Explorer from Red Chair Software (I don't use iTunes). There is also a lot of other 3rd party iPod management software too.
6. USB2.0 and FireWire :) The battery charges via USB which is nice!
7. The display is large and text is ledgeable.
8. The sound quality is also out of this world. I don't have the Dension adaptor in my Renault yet, but even playing it through a tape adaptor and besides the legandary tape hiss, it is very good.

What else can I say - it is an amazing product and I would recommend it to anyone!

Only downside though, is the battery life. The new Zen Touch beats it hands down. And I would also recommend getting a skin like a leather pouch for it - it can scratch easily.

I am still to meet somebody here in South Africa who has an iPod. Like to share the experience.

Ok, comments please.

skuzzy

Expert Member
Thanks pyrit, I am getting a 20GB 4th gen ipod with a dock.........I am looking forward to reciving it.

ipodmusicman

Any reason why you not getting the 40GB (besides the price)? Let me know if you have any questions. I'll be more than happy to answer them.

skuzzy

Expert Member
the price difference and i dont need 40gigs of space

ipodmusicman

The frighting thing is that I have 10GB to go until mine is full - very scary. But I've heard rumours of a 60GB colour iPod - maybe out by Christmas or early next year. But then, I am only in the market to play mp3s and not watch videos and view photos.