IPPs could double generation without government restrictions

Lupus

Honorary Master
Grid Tie Home Solar CoJ

Has any home user in CoJ area managed to do a solar+battery "grid-tie" system and get paid for excess generation?

Was it simple?
Was it quick to get approval?
What additional costs were incurred?
It it worthwhile for home users?
They pay to little to make it worth while

j4ck455

Executive Member
Wouldn't it be cool if we could remove government interference totally and generate all the power we need and save money..
It sounds like the precursor to an infomercial, but yes that would be great, where do I sign up?

Grid Tie Home Solar CoJ

Has any home user in CoJ area managed to do a solar+battery "grid-tie" system and get paid for excess generation?

Was it simple?
Was it quick to get approval?
What additional costs were incurred?
It it worthwhile for home users?
I seriously doubt that CoJ would pay enough money to help recoup the costs, assuming that CoJ actually pays to start with.

The CoJ devil I know giveth some and taketh a hell of a lot more.

RVQ

Expert Member
The tenderprenaurs with the big coal and other contracts are fighting hard against IPP and Green Energy. They know when it goes private they can't steal in the billions like they do now. Many are high ranking union members, Eskom employees and ANC elite so they are easily tying up the process in beuraceay.

Sometimes I wonder if its best for the way past EOL Stations just to go critical and destroy themselves leaving no option but forward

Lupus

Honorary Master
The tenderprenaurs with the big coal and other contracts are fighting hard against IPP and Green Energy. They know when it goes private they can't steal in the billions like they do now. Many are high ranking union members, Eskom employees and ANC elite so they are easily tying up the process in beuraceay.

Sometimes I wonder if its best for the way past EOL Stations just to go critical and destroy themselves leaving no option but forward
You know IPPs aren't only renewables right? There are IPP coal, octgs, gas, the only one we don't have is nuclear.

RVQ

Expert Member
You know IPPs aren't only renewables right? There are IPP coal, octgs, gas, the only one we don't have is nuclear.
There's not alot of tenders in new renewable and any for IPPs, the big money is trucking coal, or supplying the aging coal stations thats owned and run by Eskom with services and equipment

system32

Expert Member
Approach City power, but they are next to useless and you can only go to the one walk in Centre in Booysens.
Sounds like that's a no.
Not encourage to do feedback.
No easy accessible information/guides.
What a pity, I really wanted to help.

EDIT:
Found this on post powerforum:

Seems like lots of red tape:
  • 10 sets of electrical compliance regulations need to be met.
  • multiple inspections by various engineers.
  • No prepaid allowed.
  • New meter required.
  • Migrate to Time-of-use (TOU) metering.
I'm on pre-paid
If I switch to TOU, the fixed fees are about 50% of my bill.
My Solar system is being installed, I'll check with the installer if it makes financial sense to grid-tie.

Last edited:

Slegdehammer67

The sooner this is done the better...oh shti you dummkopf, of course! How will The-Arseholes-That-Be [ATB] enrich themselves then?

What a shame, we came close there...