IPV6 Wall Of Shame :-)

Gimli

@websquadza Very insightful. I haven't spent days on understanding their methodology but I did read somewhere that they have some java script built into adds that is placed randomly and then used to gather statistics like ASN and IPVersion etc. From there they aggrigate by day/ network/country/region. They gather 70 mil samples worldwide per month. So the smaller the sample, the greater the potential variance. Looking at Websquad the sample size is about 430 in 30 days, so probably not large enough to be very consistent though over the longer periods it does show a trend.
At country level their stats are consistent with Google and akamai (broadly speaking)

Toastmaster

@websquadza Very insightful. I haven't spent days on understanding their methodology but I did read somewhere that they have some java script built into adds that is placed randomly and then used to gather statistics like ASN and IPVersion etc. From there they aggrigate by day/ network/country/region. They gather 70 mil samples worldwide per month. So the smaller the sample, the greater the potential variance. Looking at Websquad the sample size is about 430 in 30 days, so probably not large enough to be very consistent though over the longer periods it does show a trend.
I would like to point out that the more technical know-how people playing with IPv6 will probably also block ads (esp those signing up for IPv6 trials etc), so if that is how they gather stats, I wouldn't trust their source that much.

Gimli

Yes, many challenges, and different organization measure differently, all with their own challenges. But as I said they seem to be broadly in line with Google at a country level.

Gimli

Ok doesn't seem to be the same as what Afrihost are planning on doing, at least judging by those settings vs what I've gathered on the ipv6 thread (Openserve)
Have they made progress on openserve yet? I am on Openserve but via websquad and IPV6 works well for me

blunt

Expert Member
Have they made progress on openserve yet? I am on Openserve but via websquad and IPV6 works well for me
No ipv6 on my OS connection, haven't heard anything outside of their ipv6 thread here

cavedog

Honorary Master
So far I have only seen Afrihost IPv6 peers on torrents. Haven't seen any other ISP.

a_ipv6.png

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep
I prefer https://speed.cloudflare.com/ to fast.com - much more detailed stats

I find that @websquadza london speedtest server prefers ipv6 but not sure if its public so wont give the url yet

Our London and New York servers are hosted off net on digital ocean- so you’re welcome to test against them. Chose DI because they’re not locally peered unlink AWS and azure. And their pricing is reasonable

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep
Yes, many challenges, and different organization measure differently, all with their own challenges. But as I said they seem to be broadly in line with Google at a country level.

It’s good to know that the general stats line up with google. Google, Facebook, cloud flare and Netflix are probably in the best position to accurately map v6 adoption- their content is all IPv6 ready and v6 clients will automatically favour v6; and considering the amount of traffic these guys traverse, would provide the best insight.

Gimli

Our London and New York servers are hosted off net on digital ocean- so you’re welcome to test against them. Chose DI because they’re not locally peered unlink AWS and azure. And their pricing is reasonable
How about sharing their urls?

Gnome

Executive Member
When you market strategy is shaming and showing everyone showing "statistics" of how far behind they are, your product is broken.

IPv6 has been saying the same things for years and it is unlikely IPv4 will go away any time soon.
Nor that IPv6 will be required for the majority of the internet.

The biggest mistake in IPv6 was that they tried to "fix" IPv4.
One of the biggest problems being the lack of NAT.

IPv6 would have been a LOT more successful if they simply bumped the version number of IP to 6 and made the address longer.
But no, they had to go and try re-implement the whole thing.

Say what you want about IPv6 even the hardest pundits of it cannot disagree that as a whole, it has largely been worked around.
And it isn't because the public or some few companies are working against it.
It is software engineerings like myself and others that just don't want to go through the incredible expense required to understand and adopt a new network strategy when extending the life of IPv4 is so much simpler.

If the ask was just to support a longer address, that would have been an easy ask.

Gimli

Bwhaha. All operating systems have been supporting this for years, and preferring it over IPv4. Primary networks have been mostly upgraded, and the biggest content providers see strong growth. Browsers and lots of software products also support it. My gripe is that we are not following the lead of the western world in rolling out IPV6.
You will have to bite the bullet and learn something new I'm afraid, like you continually have to do if you are in IT. Yes it is taking longer than it should largely because of the invention of NAT but hey, it is happening. By the way, I also have a wall of fame on the same page.

If the shoe fits...

Gimli

Afternoon to everyone on the next generation internet, and those of you resisting change :)

I have updated https://ipv6wallofshame.co.za after nearly a month of progress and we have the following notable updates:

• According to Google and Akamai IPV6 statistics we in South Africa have nearly doubled our penetration rate to +- 0.6% of total internet traffic. That is significant albeit off of a low base. In my estimation this is largely as a result of WebAfrica and Afrihost's move to roll out IPV6. Well done.
  • New entrants on our list of ISP that will offer you a native IPV6 connection on your FTTH account are:

Also in the past month we had the 9th anniversary of the World IPV6 launch. Global IPV6 traffic breach 35% on a weekly basis now and are increasing steadily year on year.

blunt

Expert Member
@Gimli what is the latency/impact on the v6 stats reported by Google? Is it indicating the improved latency on v6 in those areas (where it's negative of course)

Gimli

All I know is that it is a simple calculation of %users connecting with them on IPV6.

If the IPV6 reply is not quick enough your browser will fall back to IPV4 (happy eyeballs). I think some browser implementations have bias towards IPV6 but I don't know how many ms it is.