Iran slams US as huge crowds mark 40 years since revolution

Grant

Honorary Master
Iran’s president on Monday blasted a United States “conspiracy” against the country as vast crowds marked 40 years since the Islamic revolution at a time of heightened tensions with Washington.

“The presence of people today on the streets all over Islamic Iran… means that the enemy will never reach its evil objectives,” President Hassan Rouhani told those thronging Tehran’s Azadi (Freedom) square.

Chador-clad women, militia members in camouflage fatigues and ordinary citizens marched through the capital in freezing rain to mark the day in February 1979 that Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini ended millennia of royal rule.

Life-size replicas of Iranian-made cruise and ballistic missiles lined the route in a statement of defiance after Washington last year reimposed sanctions after pulling out of a deal on Tehran’s nuclear programme.

A pre-prepared resolution was read out that proclaimed “unquestioning obedience to the supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei” and called US President Donald Trump an “idiot”.

State television offered blanket coverage of the commemorations, showing marchers in cities ranging from Abadan in southwestern Iran to Mashad in the northeast.

Banners held by marchers or hung along the streets bore slogans including “Death to America”, “Death to Israel”, “we will trample on America”, “forty yeas of challenge, forty years of US defeats”.

An anchor on state television warned of hostile foreign media trying to downplay the participation of Iranians in the march but expressed confidence that “they would be confounded by the unprecedented level of attendance”.

Current supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei is set to publish “a detailed statement explaining the ‘second step’ of the progress of the Islamic revolution”, his official website said.
https://mg.co.za/article/2019-02-11-iran-slams-us-as-huge-crowds-mark-40-years-since-revolution

Grant

Honorary Master
Life-size replicas of Iranian-made cruise and ballistic missiles lined the route in a statement of defiance . .
A pre-prepared resolution was read out that proclaimed “unquestioning obedience to the supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei”
State television offered blanket coverage of the commemorations,
pyongyang v2.0

Daruk

Honorary Master
Oh the rhetoric from these places is sooo old. Just stop and look around you and ask yourself... can I be proud of this?
Am I really going to blame someone else for this mess?

Alan

Honorary Master
Oh the rhetoric from these places is sooo old. Just stop and look around you and ask yourself... can I be proud of this?
Am I really going to blame someone else for this mess?
So after 40 years Iran is not the "model of humane governance for a third‐world country" the Ayatollah's liberal western allies once envisioned.....

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
So they protesting against US conspiracy by reinforcing why there's a conspiracy in the first place?

And I thought Rouhani had more sense than the nutters who preceded him.

surface

Expert Member
Former public servant Saaghi insisted that it remained paramount for Iranians to stick by the revolution.

“We are here to support the revolution,” the 57-year-old pensioner, who refused to give his first name, told AFP at the event in Tehran.

“At the revolution’s 40 anniversary we are on top of scientific achievements like nanotechnology or accurate missiles,” he said.
That is impressive if true - I wonder when they will share this with rest of the world though.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
They sound like our backwards lot. Revolution happened 40-years ago and they still go on about keeping it alive.

The struggle in SA officially ended in 1994 and the potatoes here are fabricating bogeymen a quarter of a century later.

When do you stop resisting and fighting and start actually doing something constructive that leads to positive outcomes?