''Iraq war has cost US $350bn''

K

kingrob

http://www.news24.com/News24/World/Iraq/0,,2-10-1460_2039271,00.html

Iraq war has cost US $350bn
03/12/2006 09:04 - (SA)

Washington - The war in Iraq has cost the United States more than $350bn since the March 2003 invasion, according to an AFP review of US congress figures.

About $290bn, including $254bn for military operations, were allocated for the war in fiscal year 2006, which closed on September 30, according to a September 22 report by the Congressional Budget Office (CBO).

The Congressional Research Service estimated the cost at $319bn, representing 73% of US spending for the "war on terror" launched after the September 11, 2001 attacks on the United States.

Congress has approved $70bn for the "war on terror" in the 2007 defence budget that includes about $50bn for the Iraq conflict, bringing the three-and-a-half-year spending over $350bn.

A Democratic senator said last month that the defence department will request an additional $127bn for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, an amount that would bring the cost of the "war on terror" over $500bn.

The new funding request would make the "war on terror" more expensive for the United States than Washington's spending during the Vietnam War that ended in 1975.

The Congressional Research Service said in a September report that the cost of the war in Iraq rose this year to $8bn a month, compared to $6.4bn a month last year.

HaNsA

Expert Member
and you wonder y they spent so much money on this war....surely it was to bring peace to the land :cool:

Debbie

Banned
...or maybe haliburton just wanted to expand their product range

Syndyre

Honorary Master
...or maybe haliburton just wanted to expand their product range

Amazing what lobbying can buy you. :D Doubt the projected cost was that high anyway. Whatever they budgeted originally was probably seen as a small price to pay for future energy security and a military base in the heart of the Middle East within easy striking distance of Iran.

Debbie

Banned
Here's a question for the US Congress- how much of the $350 billion never really left the country? How much of it went to US companies?

Alan

Honorary Master
Hmmm

No "where's Dubya's buddy Alanf" :(

I'm :confused:

Is Dubya in Iraq for the oil or christianity?

Maybe it's both.

Could you conspiracy theorists please enlighten me.

:rolleyes:

BTTB

Here's a question for the US Congress- how much of the $350 billion never really left the country? How much of it went to US companies?

:p So true.

This topic has come up often in conversations. How dependent is the US Economy on the Military for Arms and Ammunition supply.
Like restocking all the $1 to $2,5Million Dollar Cruise Missiles(Cost) used with the Shock and Awe Display over Baghdad. :rolleyes:

Debbie

Banned
I wonder what the US's unemployment figures would look like were it not for the war.

vespax

Expert Member

kingmonty

Expert Member
Hmmm

Maybe it's both.

The closest dubya has been to Iraq is in the comfort of a US military base or on a battleship. One of these "visits" was to declare the end of the war, g*d knows how many years and lives ago. Anyway, if you think dubya went there on a crusade mission to install christianity, then I will order you a deer blow up doll for christmas.

Alan

Honorary Master
The closest dubya has been to Iraq is in the comfort of a US military base or on a battleship. One of these "visits" was to declare the end of the war, g*d knows how many years and lives ago. Anyway, if you think dubya went there on a crusade mission to install christianity, then I will order you a deer blow up doll for christmas.

hmm

Okay so I take it you think it was for oil and not christianity.

Any one here think he did it for christianity?

Oh don't worry. You don't have to order it and embarrass yourself again.

Nokkie

Executive Member
and the tax payers keeps the total up by 7trillion dollars since 1993 till 2004..

Syndyre

Honorary Master

The real question is how much of it was actually funded by the US themselves and how much was funded by Chinese loans that'll eventually have to be repaid.

Syndyre

Honorary Master
Hmmm

Maybe it's both.

Why do you think the US/Bush went into Iraq?