Irish aid worker murdered in Cape Town

schumi

Honorary Master
Cape Town police are working on possible leads following the murder of Irish charity worker John Curran at a high-security residential complex in the CBD this week.

John Curran, 60, had recently finished a two-year contract as a director of education for Mellon Educate in South Africa.

"I know our many volunteers and supporters will be very sad to hear this tragic news. John was much loved by everyone who met him and especially by the thousands of children he helped during his time with Mellon Educate," said the charity in a statement.

"We are assisting his family in every way we can and your warm wishes of empathy are sincerely appreciated."The charity said in its statement that Curran was killed during a robbery.

More at:
https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/irish-aid-worker-murdered-in-cape-town-20181109

Sollie

Executive Member
Reminds me of an incident. Black US family heavily involved in education programs across Africa hired a friend of ours as an organizer to kick start a program in South Africa. They would assist struggling students with potential, have coaches etc and assist them all the way until they graduated.

They purchased a house in Camps Bay, waiting for the bond to go through. Before their arrival, our friend had to have the place kitted out/refurbished. No costs spared. They even supplied her with a car.

The wife first came over with her assistant and daughter, and the three woman into the house. Things were going well, appointments set up, funding for the project obtained etc etc. A bit later they woke up in the night, burglars standing over them. Threats of rape etc. They were tied up with wire. Luckily it ended well.

Next day they got on a plane back home to the USA. They will never put their feet here again. Program gone - kapoof.

Court case ongoing about the bond as they are not going to pay it. They gave the car to our friend.

This is how we kill our own future.

schumi

Honorary Master
Congolese man filmed on CCTV held for murder of Irishman in Cape Town

A 24-year-old Congolese national appeared in the Cape Town Magistrate's Court on charges of murder and robbery on Monday in connection with the death of Irishman John Curran, 60.
Curran's body was found in his Buitengracht Street apartment in Cape Town on November 7 after he was stabbed to death.
Curran was in Cape Town as part of his work for the non-profit organisation Mellon Educate which helps governments to improve the quality of education at under-resourced schools.
After releasing images of CCTV footage - taken inside an elevator and dated November 6 - police arrested Mitspa Mzakomba Onyoka in Voortrekker Road on Friday, November 23.
He was wearing boxer shorts and sandals as he entered the dock on Monday and asked magistrate Greg Jacobs for a French interpreter as his English was not good enough to listen to the case against him.
It is understood he was arrested at his cleaning job in Voortrekker Road.
More at: https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/south-africa/2018-11-26-congolese-man-filmed-on-cctv-held-for-murder-of-irishman-in-cape-town/

Sollie

Executive Member
No idea why foreigners come to SA to "help" in charity.

They just get murdered...
You can help a country that wants to help themselves. That does not include another person's life /possessions or a doors open policy to all of Africa while our own people have no jobs.

schumi

Honorary Master
.No home affairs record of man accused of murdering Irish charity worker in Cape Town

. A 24-year-old man accused of murdering Irish charity worker John Curran wants to apply for bail, even though the Department of Home Affairs has had no record of him, the Cape Town Magistrate's Court heard on Monday.

Mitspa Onyoka, 24, from the Democratic Republic of Congo, appeared in court after a postponement for further bail information.

Prosecutor Leon Snyman said the investigating officer had gone to the address provided by Onyoka to verify it, but had found out that the people living there did not want him staying there anymore.
More at : https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/no-home-affairs-record-of-man-accused-of-murdering-irish-charity-worker-in-cape-town-20181203

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Mellon educate? Teaching locals how to slice up watermelons or what now?

PS, who gives a **** where this dead guy was from or what he was doing here, plenty of locals get offed the same way every day.

schumi

Honorary Master
Ghanaian and murdered Irish charity worker ‘were madly in love’

Cape Town - Irish charity worker John Curran was happy and madly in love in the weeks leading up to his brutal murder in November last year, claims his Ghanaian lover who was sharing his Cape Town flat.

“Those five weeks that we lived together were one of the best things that happened to us,” said the former primary school teacher who is now a customer relations consultant in Cape Town.
More at : https://www.iol.co.za/news/south-africa/western-cape/ghanaian-and-murdered-irish-charity-worker-were-madly-in-love-23544485

Knyro

PhD in Everything
On November 23 last year, the police arrested Congolese Mitspa Onyoka, 25, who worked at a Nigerian pub in Goodwood called Fantasy Lounge.

It later emerged that Curran met Onyoka on Grindr and told security at his flat on November 6 to allow him into his flat.
Well I'll be damned, y'all called it! :ROFL:

Still. RIP.

schumi

Honorary Master
'I was in panic': Murder accused says victim tried to rape him

Cape Town - Congolese national Mitspa Oyoka stabbed John Curran in self-defence to stop the Irish aid worker raping him.

This emerged from an affidavit the Congolese submitted during his failed 2018 bail hearing in which he graphically describes his attack which left Curran with 26 fatal stab wounds.

In that same affidavit, Oyoka, who was in court on Friday for a pre-trial hearing, indicated he would plead not guilty to murder and robbery with aggravating circumstances.

“I have been advised by my legal representative that my conduct lacks any form of unlawfulness and submit that I was acting in my own defence as it was evident Mr Curran intended to rape me.”

Oyoka’s pre-trial hearing was postponed to next month to allow for consultations with a recently hired advocate.

No evidence was led, but in his earlier affidavit, Oyoka, now 25, said he met Curran, 60, at Fantasy Lounge Bar in Goodwood where he worked as a cleaner.

“He would come in from time to time. He saw me and called me over to speak to me. He asked for my name and provided me with a business card and told me to call him the following day as he wanted to help me.”

The following day in a telephone conversation, Curran offered to improve Oyoka’s job prospects and illegal immigrant status.

Curran then contacted him again on November 5, 2018. They went to GrandWest, where Curran gave him a Samsung Galaxy S smartphone as a present, said Oyoka, contesting the State’s claim that he stole it after he allegedly murdered Curran.
More at:

surface

Executive Member
Sad but now at least the real stories involving real people of south africa will not come out - at least not on this thread.