Is 2012 going to be the year of true broadband?

schumi

Honorary Master
Looks like its going to be the year of the battle of the internet vs censorship

nfbs

Expert Member
No. If you look at the number of internet users in Africa then South Africa has less than half the number of internet users of African countries like Egypt, Nigeria or Morocco. If you look at our internet penetration (percentage of population) then we are so much worse off. In 1994 SA had the most internet users on the continent.

Why? For the simple fact that the majority of internet users don't vote ANC so the penetration staying low ensures the current regime stays in power.

inferno

Cant really blame Telkom anymore. More companies need to start building their own local loops.

Bern

Expert Member
SA Gov is so far behind on this stuff they think broadband is a bunch of musical ladies.

da da dum
tish!

Mr.CookieMonster

Expert Member
Looks like its going to be the year of the battle of the internet vs censorship
+1

We aint getting better Broadband, As long as Telkom IPConnect price is very high, Voda, MTN, Cell C with expensive broadband (8ta seems to be the only hope for cheap broadband).

killadoob

Honorary Master
Well apart from price i got amazing internet. 550 for adsl, 700 for openweb gold and i believe it is proper interwebs :D. No shaping and runs full ball 24/7. No torrents though but i don't use them, if i did i could just select another backbone.

whatwhat

Executive Member
Looks like people just post stuff without actually reading what is going on in the rest of South Africa. With the high IPC prices and lack of anything more than 4Mb in most places, there wont be no true broadband.

BGE

Expert Member
As long as Telkom have anything to do with it, 2012 will not be the year of true broadband! They still class anything faster than 56k dial-up as broadband!

bekdik

Honorary Master

YES!!!!

But not in South Africa.

Last edited:

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Cant really blame Telkom anymore. More companies need to start building their own local loops.
Sure we can! Telkom's Monopoly has not decreased at all in the last 16 years, and they still enjoy maximum government protection.

Mouse

Expert Member
Sure we can! Telkom's Monopoly has not decreased at all in the last 16 years, and they still enjoy maximum government protection.
And that's who we should be blaming. Not that it would change anything :(
This article seems to imply that internet prices will drop due to wireless spectrum being allocated, and everyone then started the usual complaining about the high cost of adsl.
ADSL charges won't change much, except if Telkom needs to prevent people from leaving them to use wireless internet instead, and even in that case it has to be wireless internet that does not use Telkom backhaul so that they don't get any of our money.

siraman

Expert Member
It ultimately comes down to the reality that broadband in South Africa is defined as 256 kbps.
And the goverment goes and pick the lowest definition of broadband and once more the country swims in a sea of mediocrity.Bah!!

ponder

Honorary Master
2012 will also be the year of the Linux desktop, again!

Mouse

Expert Member
2012 will also be the year of the Linux desktop, again!
The year of the Linux desktop will probably never happen. Instead, Linux has already taken over in mobile devices. And I think mobile devices will make the desktop pointless for the majority of use cases - yes I know that the exception is that you need to do work on a desktop.

Ideally I would want all PCs (Windows, Linux, Mac, whatever else) to be tablet screens that you plug in to a desktop docking station when you need to work. Unplug the screen and take it with you when you need mobile computing, and plug in a keyboard dock to the same screen when you need to do work on the go (think Asus Transformer + keyboard dock + desktop dock)