Is 2012 going to be the year of true broadband?

Bern

Expert Member
Ideally I would want all PCs (Windows, Linux, Mac, whatever else) to be tablet screens that you plug in to a desktop docking station when you need to work. Unplug the screen and take it with you when you need mobile computing, and plug in a keyboard dock to the same screen when you need to do work on the go (think Asus Transformer + keyboard dock + desktop dock)

That would be nice, but maybe a little further would be to link to your big desk screen (multiscreen config) and link up with other devices to combine horsepower. Fujitsu have a nice concept:
http://www.slashgear.com/fujitsu-lifebook2013-concept-docks-tablet-phone-camera-in-laptop-25210621/

Mouse

Expert Member
That would be nice, but maybe a little further would be to link to your big desk screen (multiscreen config) and link up with other devices to combine horsepower. Fujitsu have a nice concept:
http://www.slashgear.com/fujitsu-lifebook2013-concept-docks-tablet-phone-camera-in-laptop-25210621/

Agreed, I would want the desktop dock to basically be the upgradable 'PC' part of the device, with extra expansion ports such as USB, HDMI, etc. In Apple terms it would be like a Mac Mini, or for PC's it would look more like an HTPC that has just enough height and length to accommodate full sized graphics cards.

twhitehead

But is 10 Mbps fast enough to watch movies in real time? Not really. In many countries speeds up to ten times or more are routinely offered.
Actually 10 Mbs is more than fast enough to watch movies in real time. Obviously it must actually be 10 Mbs and not have bottlenecks bringing it way down. In fact 1Mbs is enough for the sort of resolution we get on terrestrial tv. HD would need a bit more.
The fact that other countries 'routinely offer' faster speeds is irrelevant.

rrh

Expert Member
As long as Telkom have anything to do with it, 2012 will not be the year of true broadband! They still class anything faster than 56k dial-up as broadband!

+1

Especially since Telkom have taken to dropping line speeds.

Two years ago I had a perfect 10MB line.

Last year Telkom downgraded it to 4MB: after much screaming they upped it to 6MB.

Now they are attempting to reduce the line speed again ...

Oh course that's when the ADSL line is working ... last year I received two credits for ADSL downtime.

And I am currently down ... :mad:

killadoob

Honorary Master
how did you have a 10 meg line when telkom had not enabled 10 meg two years ago?