is 5000 extra worth leaving a job you love...

cn@

Expert Member
R5 000 ... No.

If the R5 000 means much more in the future then ... Yes.

daveza

Honorary Master
I just cannot imagine having lots of money but spending your life doing something you don't enjoy to have it.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
How often do you see your overdraft saying -5000? That right there should easily answer the question.

Also is the R5000 real? Do you need to travel further to get there? Use a different route that takes more time? Work longer hours etc? Then it isn't just R5000 any more.

Excalibur

Expert Member
How often do you see your overdraft saying -5000? That right there should easily answer the question.

Also is the R5000 real? Do you need to travel further to get there? Use a different route that takes more time? Work longer hours etc? Then it isn't just R5000 any more.
Agree with you, if the R5k gets swallowed by what you describe here what do you do when you have an offer? Reject it or negotiate and higher increase? If negotiating what grounds do you use for justification?

Zophos

Kind of a silly question really.

But it is an interesting topic that we all have to face at some point in our careers.

Personally, I weigh an opportunity as follows: Time spent away from family vs Money vs Job Satisfaction

So, in other words,

If the job is fantastic, money is average, and time away from family is acceptable (9 to 5 with the odd weekend work) it gets a YES
If the job is average, money is FANTASTIC, but time away from family is more than 60 hours per week, then NO

It is a personal decision for everyone (in my humble opinion)

Nopt!c

I would not say yes to such an opportunity just because I can. That yes needs to be motivated because you want to.

As Matthew McConaughey once said, “Just because you CAN?… Nah… It’s not a good enough reason to do something. Even when it means having more, be discerning, choose it, because you WANT it, DO IT because you WANT to.”

ReeceDBN031

Shoh.. if i could get R5k extra now.. would change my life.. like seriously..
do you have a family...?
wife.. child...? i'd do it for them.. not myself. they are what is important in the end..
Unless its more time away from them...? not worth it.. i wish i had a 8-4 or a 9-5 now

eg2505

Honorary Master
Im with @Zophos on this,
its all about how you spend that time,

is the money worth it? maybe, but is spending time away from family worth it?

MavChat

The grass is always greener on the other side, due to there being more manure there...

If you are happy stay. Happiness is worth more than money.

GhostSixFour

Mafia Addict
It sounds like you already know or decided you won't enjoy the new job as much. If that's the case, probably there is some red flags already - so are you willing to ignore the red flags in exchange for some more take aways?

Kosmik

Honorary Master
I'm pretty sure anyone with half a brain won't have their resume reflect this fact, directly or indirectly.
Seriously folks, of course people move for money, people are not slaves/automatons.

cguy

Expert Member
Seriously folks, of course people move for money, people are not slaves/automatons.
Also, more money is correlated with more challenging work, more enjoyable work, better working conditions and obviously less financial stress. It is very seldom that people get paid more to do shittier work.

crawler

Move for minimum 25 - 30% extra on salary

Let them do a dummy payslip to confirm and manage expectations

Extra benefits ie medical, pension, total leave days, benefits overall also play a role

People leave bad bosses most of time as well...

Thanks for all your input everyone. Basically the increase would be around 20% increase for me. It would be a remote position where I would work from home and therefore save even more money on petrol and time for travelling. I am still deciding as I genuinely do like my current company as they treat us well, but the financial gain is substantial.

Its pretty much the same job/responsibilites as I currently have so nothing to major on the job change.