Is a 10yr old brand new sealed laser toner cartridge safe to use?

airborne

Executive Member
A collegue was given a 10yr old brand new sealed laser toner cartridge and wants to know if using it is safe, will the cartridge still be usable/functional and what are the chances of it damaging the printer if they give it a try?

eg2505

Honorary Master
is it the type in bubble wrap/air-bag ect?

probably safe to use, never seen a expiry date on those things.

airborne

Executive Member
And is the 10 year old printer safe to use?
The printer is apparently 6yrs old and in perfect working order, needs more toner though. They normally refill, I think R200 a refill, which is not insanely expensive and it's a nice printer so they are hesitant to risk it.
I say go for it!
But it would be easier to advise them to give it a try if I heard other people saying its not a huge risk/they've done it before with no ill effects.

A new/fresh Canon original toner cartridge is R1600, which is identical to the one they were gifted albeit not 10yrs old.

lsheed_cn

Expert Member
Will be fine, as long as the toner hasn't been exposed to wet conditions. If still in a sealed packaging, no issues.

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
Yes just be sure to shake well before opening and installing as the toner might have settled

sajunky

Honorary Master
Yes just be sure to shake well before opening and installing as the toner might have settled
^This, but keep it horizontal during shaking, perhaps all time.

Using LaserJet 4050N with 15 years old cartridge. It will take me another 10 years to empty this cartridge. :) I wouldn't replace it with a new cheap laser printer even if offered free, seriously.