Is a university degree needed in today’s tech world?

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
I think that question has to be phrased better.

Do we need a degree if we have an idea that could go big? Then no, else yes (though there are always rare cases).

Bar0n

Executive Member
Didn't read the article. Yes, a degree is necessary.

DA-LION-619

Honorary Master
I think the whole idea is wrong, people think you get a degree and you're done which is not the case. You got to keep improving and a degree does add to your thought process but you've got to keep up skilling yourself.

Cicero

Expert Member
A degree gives you a good foundation, but a foundation is worth nothing if you don't build on it...

cguy

Executive Member
I think that question has to be phrased better.

Do we need a degree if we have an idea that could go big? Then no, else yes (though there are always rare cases).
Nobody ever needs a degree. I would say the question should be: does it improve ones probability of success? I would say, without a doubt, yes.

Bar0n

Executive Member
I think the whole idea is wrong, people think you get a degree and you're done which is not the case. You got to keep improving and a degree does add to your thought process but you've got to keep up skilling yourself.
I have seen firsthand how talented people are stuck in companies where they've worked themselves up to positions that they would not have been able to apply for directly. Interviews/shortlisting at other companies go well, but as soon as they reveal they don't have a degree, the response is along the lines of, "Oh. Don't call us, we'll call you".

A degree teaches you good skills in critical thinking and lays a good foundation for further research and self-study/self-enrichment too.

Bottom-line: get a degree or at least an NDip.

DA-LION-619

Honorary Master
I have seen firsthand how talented people are stuck in companies where they've worked themselves up to positions that they would not have been able to apply for directly. Interviews at other companies go well, but as soon as they reveal they don't have a degree, the response is along the lines of, "Oh. Don't call us, we'll call you".

A degree teaches you good skills in critical thinking and lays a good foundation for further research and self-study/self-enrichment too.

Bottom-line: get a degree or at least an NDip.

Getting that NDip atm and will probably go further, with what yet I'm not sure...

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Nobody ever needs a degree. I would say the question should be: does it improve ones probability of success? I would say, without a doubt, yes.
Most of the time you will be blocked from higher positions due to lack of qualifications. The only way to make up for it would be experience, but this doesn't happen too often.

AthenianOwl

Executive Member
Well said :)

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
“If Branson had finished his schooling, or Gates, Jobs, and Zuckerberg had completed their college degrees, we would probably never have witnessed Virgin, Microsoft, Apple, or Facebook,” said Jordaan.
If countless unnamed graduates did not join these drop out we also would not have those companies.

Bar0n

Executive Member
If countless unnamed graduates did not join these drop out we also would not have those companies.
Also worthwhile to note that these people never dropped out due to stupidity or that they couldn't handle the workload. Very important to emphasise that. Bill Gates's academic record was excellent.

DA-LION-619

Honorary Master

People love to bring up Bill Gates etc. But they forget to look at what universities/colleges these guys dropped out off.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
I got my diploma after three years of full-time study and my degree after 2 years of part time study. That shows commitment which might actually count more than the degree itself.

Swa

Honorary Master
The question isn't how many entrepreneurs have degrees but how many needed them or wouldn't be where they are without them. I also think our whole education system is wrong. Instead of teaching children to work for someone else they should be teaching them to work for themselves and doing aptitude tests that determines who can make it on their own.

This here. It depends on the field but all too often a rookie comes out of university full of confidence but when they have to do the work it's like a deer caught in headlights. Rather get the qualification that would let you perform in the relevant field.

creeper

Executive Member
My take on degrees are that your are taught to think and provided with tools to solve problems. You can learn it as well, by means of self education, natural talent and failure, which takes longer. So, it is your choice. Those people I've met without tertiary qualifications that exile also have some kind of passion for what they do.

So. Do you need a degree in the tech world? It depends who you are and what you want to achieve. Corporate world. Get a degree. Going at it yourself. Degree will be useful, but grit helps. If you are that 0.1% super talented and passionate persons. Who cares. You will find a way

Elite Override

Yeah sure, why not show us the list of people who tried to start a business and failed.

silently regret their dangerous addiction to a monthly salary
If it wasn't for that terrible addiction, he wouldn't have any money - does he tell the same stuff to his employees?

MyBB is turning into buzzfeed.