Is cached content charged for

qDot

Expert Member
Does iBurst use transparent proxy ?

If so, then surely cached content should not count towards the CAP ?

Surely they should not ? I imagine this goes for ADSL as well ?

Vio

Expert Member
Everything counts toward your cap most likely, even pings to peers. :D

jmn

Vio said:
I suspect the same. The closer to you they measure, the easier it should be. That's probably why they haven't bothered (yet) to measure only international traffic.

slimothy

Banned
yeah think about it, they'd still have to move the data around and it would just be local so they could make a cache server but all data would still count toward the cap

qDot

Expert Member
slimothy said:
yeah think about it, they'd still have to move the data around and it would just be local so they could make a cache server but all data would still count toward the cap

I understand, all the more reason local should not be capped.

DFantom

Expert Member
Vio said:
Whats nasty about this, someone could get hold of say 30 machines. Have them all send syn requests to you for a day (no actual data) and start eating yuor cap up. You did nothing as a user, downloaded nothing etc... but still your cap is used

slimothy

Banned
I find it worrying at no point did someone at WBS sit down and think why to make 3GB the magic cap number or what would and wouldn't coutn toward it. It seems like at the time of making the plans they said "well Telkom offers 3GB so we offer 3GB, everything coutns toward it' and some idiot who probably goes on a PC twice a week said that 3GB would be enough.

No one even thought about a cache server I bet

nocilah

Banned
slimothy said:
I find it worrying at no point did someone at WBS sit down and think why to make 3GB the magic cap number or what would and wouldn't coutn toward it. It seems like at the time of making the plans they said "well Telkom offers 3GB so we offer 3GB, everything coutns toward it' and some idiot who probably goes on a PC twice a week said that 3GB would be enough.

No one even thought about a cache server I bet

They offered it cuz they could get away with it... Telkom does why cant they?
BUT they do have a 6GB and 9Gb which makes them flexible...

I agree with you though... They did not think about it... if they had thought a little deeper they would have probably made it 6Gb cosidering the service 'in theory' is twice as fast as ADSL currently.

qDot

Expert Member
DFantom said:
Whats nasty about this, someone could get hold of say 30 machines. Have them all send syn requests to you for a day (no actual data) and start eating yuor cap up. You did nothing as a user, downloaded nothing etc... but still your cap is used

I wonder what it costs in Mbytes just to keep a patched and firewalled Windoze/nix/mac machine online for a month.

In other words you leave your machine on day one and go for a business trip and come back after a month. I wonder how much of the 3gb allocation can one loose just by keeping the computer up.

Assuming no power disconnections and the network behaved.

slimothy

Banned
i dont care about the poll and that sasan parvin reference was what I was talking about

DFantom

Expert Member
qDot said:
I wonder what it costs in Mbytes just to keep a patched and firewalled Windoze/nix/mac machine online for a month.
I get about an avg 8Mb of bandwidth wasted a day in that same situation :/
Some times higher and some times lower, depends on who is port scanning me, virus activity etc...

What I would like is only bandwidth that goes out the iBurst gateway is added to the cap. Thus all internal iBurst bandwidth (which costs them nothing) is not added to the cap

gigtech

every piece of data sent and recieved by your connections, is accounted for.

gigtech

not sure if the iburst site is now being added monitored for surfing as it loads very quickly even if the internet is slow.

slimothy

Banned
not every piece of dat ais accounted for, you send data to the basestation to establish connectiosn and more data to determine if the station is best for you or to switch, only if it goes further than the basestation is it accounted for

ic

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
slimothy said:
not every piece of dat ais accounted for, you send data to the basestation to establish connectiosn and more data to determine if the station is best for you or to switch, only if it goes further than the basestation is it accounted for
I hope that's how WBS have implemented it, i.e. we only get zapped for the traffic we solicit, but still doesn't help with port scans & attempted penetrations that we don't solicit - I think I mentioned that a few times back in November...

slimothy

Banned
well an effective port scan would be a syn scan that attempts to start a connection but doesn't actually make a connection, also called a stealth scan and that would chew up about kB a day if you had 4 hosts doing it non stop throughout the day

ic

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
slimothy said:
well an effective port scan would be a syn scan that attempts to start a connection but doesn't actually make a connection, also called a stealth scan and that would chew up about kB a day if you had 4 hosts doing it non stop throughout the day
It's not just one port scan - it's loads of them, and other stuff as well, also coming from other iBursters, it's my bandwidth I'm trying to conserve it, but all this stuff is depleting my bandwidth - thanks to the cap, I now disconnect when I'm not using the connection :(.