• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Two-Day Giveaway - Win a Google Chromecast, Branded Gear, and a Mystery Gadget. Enter Here.
  • Giveaway - Win a DiskStation DS918+ and Active Backup Suite from Synology. Enter Here.

IS/CellC is shaping fixed LTE traffic but keeping Speedtests fast so you don't notice

Ipwn 4

Expert Member
Right now I cannot stream DSTV or a home movie from openload without buffering yet my 10Mbps speedtest suggests I shouldn't have issues, seems strange right?

To test my hunch I setup my own speedtest server using this using this code from Github on a dev server at Hetzner with a 100Mbps breakout.

I first tested my speedtest server from my office which has a 300Mbps connection, it managed to do 90Mbps down which is close to the bandwidth limit on Hetzner's side for their truserv packages. The only purpose of this test is to prove that my makeshift speedtest server has enough bandwidth for the tests below

Next I tested CellC against speedtest.net, results were pretty much in line with what I was getting off my phone on wifi, 15Mbps down, 17Mbps up. That should be a enough for DSTV Now or a random video off the internet yet none of them are working right now...

Next I tested CellC against my speedtest server and I think the results speak for themselves, < 1Mbps seems a whole lot less than the speedtest.net results.

A pretty reasonable explanation for my speedtest server showing such poor speeds when testing from CellC fixed LTE is that IS might have a peering issue with Heztner right now so to be safe I tested my speedtest server from IS's Randview DC, results confirm that IS can definitely connect to Hetzner just fine.

Pretty frustrating that major speedtest services like mybroand and speedtest always show high speeds yet when trying to stream video from DSTV now or download random data from my hetzner server the throughput never comes close to this.

If you are a CellC fixed LTE subscriber please share your feedback?

PS Would love to see MyBB do some actual journalism and investigate ISPs unshapping speedtest.net and speedtest.mybroadband.co.za to skew the regular results posted on here but I am not holding my breath...

biometrics

Honorary Master
Cell C fixed LTE seems stuffed. I can barely maintain a 1 Mbps connection with 4/5 bars.

Also, DSTV streaming has always been crappy, hasn't it?

Double whammy.

Ipwn 4

Expert Member
Cell C fixed LTE seems stuffed. I can barely maintain a 1 Mbps connection with 4/5 bars.

Also, DSTV streaming has always been crappy, hasn't it?

Double whammy.
Full signal here, doing 50Mbps on a prepaid cellC Sim without issues, fixed LTE on the other hand is a different story.

My DSTV now is usable 99% of the time, with the release of the Samsung TV apps I can get a 720p stream pretty much any time other than peak times.

lilggg

Expert Member
Exactly what i was thinking. Downloading from anywhere between 6 - 10 i barely get 30kbps, but speed test is always way higher. If they are they doing a terrible job of it, because its far from stable, connection resets, dropping etc.

awvince

Too be fair, the speed test is pathetic even though slightly higher than actual download, well in my case.

epah

Everyday after 7/8pm I cannot stream anything yet my speed test will show 10Mbps download. However I can still watch YouTube but only at 480p max. During the day everything works perfectly and speed tests are also around 10Mbps .

Sumen

Expert Member
I think the towers are too congested, unfortunately.

I'm lucky as people around my area are not "tech-savvy" and the Mount Edgecombe area that's across the road has fibre so they have no need for LTE - Yes I have noticed that speeds are not as great as they were when the service first launched but I'm still able to watch 1080p YouTube videos.

Ipwn 4

Expert Member
I think the towers are too congested, unfortunately.

I'm lucky as people around my area are not "tech-savvy" and the Mount Edgecombe area that's across the road has fibre so they have no need for LTE - Yes I have noticed that speeds are not as great as they were when the service first launched but I'm still able to watch 1080p YouTube videos.
If it was congestion on the tower everything would be slow, this is them shaping a capped service as if it was a cheap uncapped DSL account

lilggg

Expert Member
Certainly seems like shaping but could be congestion. Either way u getting shafted. R840 (in my case) for something you cant use, its ridiculous.

THIS!

is exactly what is happening. Speedtest last night and every other night showed above 30 Mbps but the Internet speed was crawling.

DStv Now / Netflix would not even load.

Where is Cell C to comment?

Swa

Honorary Master
Anybody thinking they wouldn't prioritise a speedtest is naive. Just like grfx card makers optimise their drivers to run better with benchmarks. The shaping policies are also a state secret unlike with adsl where most ISPs are willing to state what shaping they employ. Vodacom claims no shaping but that's from the early days. I'm sure by now they've introduced shaping since people are using it as an adsl replacement.

Ipwn 4

Expert Member
Anybody thinking they wouldn't prioritise a speedtest is naive. Just like grfx card makers optimise their drivers to run better with benchmarks. The shaping policies are also a state secret unlike with adsl where most ISPs are willing to state what shaping they employ. Vodacom claims no shaping but that's from the early days. I'm sure by now they've introduced shaping since people are using it as an adsl replacement.
Missing the point mate, no ISP provides a customer with a 1:1 connection unless stated and backed by an SLA.

These clowns however are taking things to a new level by selling a product on a network with next to no capacity while reserving the little capacity there is to fool customers into thinking something is wrong with the site they are trying to access.

There is a huge difference between slightly reduced performance (like most ISPs) during peak time and not being able to provide a service at all

Swa

Honorary Master
Missing the point mate, no ISP provides a customer with a 1:1 connection unless stated and backed by an SLA.

These clowns however are taking things to a new level by selling a product on a network with next to no capacity while reserving the little capacity there is to fool customers into thinking something is wrong with the site they are trying to access.

There is a huge difference between slightly reduced performance (like most ISPs) during peak time and not being able to provide a service at all
No I get the point completely. I never said anything about contention or anything. Shaping (what we are talking about) is something different and not related to contention.

gamer16

Expert Member
I suspect Telkom of doing this, with the 450Gb night bundle. Both normal downloads and peer to peer slow down but speed test results are good, the issue goes away if I use a VPN.