IS/CellC is shaping fixed LTE traffic but keeping Speedtests fast so you don't notice

hjst45

Hi @Cell_C , lots of complaints on this thread, but very little response from you.

When can we expect video streaming on Netflix and Youtube to improve?

Video streaming is an integral part of the service and we are paying for capped products.

I understand that there is congestion, etc, but I should be able to watch a You Tube clip at 05:30 am on a weekday at a higher quality than 360p. Somehow I don't think many others are overloading the network at the same time with video streaming.

I have both a CellC package at work and at home, and it seems that they are capping speeds to around 1mbps. Can you do a test with fast.com and the Youtube stats for nerds to see if you get the same?

The Telkom LTE tests with fast.com is similar to the usual speedtests.

Yarik11

I have both a CellC package at work and at home, and it seems that they are capping speeds to around 1mbps. Can you do a test with fast.com and the Youtube stats for nerds to see if you get the same?

The Telkom LTE tests with fast.com is similar to the usual speedtests.
Both Fast.com and stats for nerds show about 1MB.

Speedtest by Ookla shows 15-20MB.

Still complete silence from @Cell_C

@Cell_C please engage with us - this is a serious problem

airborne

Executive Member
Maybe it's not throttling per say but their peering or whatever the correct term is that provides the youtube access is completely congested, hence always slow?

cavedog

Honorary Master
I see the same on my side. Youtube and Netflix is speed capped at 1Mbps. Other streaming services like twitch ect is not capped at all.

Last edited:

BradleyKZN

I have been getting the same, I need to finish troubleshooting with Afrihost over the phone tonight, and i'll let you guys know what transpires.

hjst45

I have been getting the same, I need to finish troubleshooting with Afrihost over the phone tonight, and i'll let you guys know what transpires.
Good luck with that. I have an open support ticket for a week now with no feedback. Took quite a few phone calls (since live support is non-existent) before they realised it won't take a simple reset or changing of the APN to fix the issue.

Yarik11

Good luck with that. I have an open support ticket for a week now with no feedback. Took quite a few phone calls (since live support is non-existent) before they realised it won't take a simple reset or changing of the APN to fix the issue.
That's exactly what @MWEBHelp told me to do. Change the APN. Which obviously didn't do anything.

@Cell_C
@MWEBHelp

Please respond. Video streaming is currently unusable. When will the shaping stop or at least be improved?

charlvheyn

I am experiencing the exact same thing with @Cell_C through Afrihost fixed wireless (@AfriFella). Can barely use Netflix, Youtube, Showmax and such, but my download speeds for any other service such as Steam or Google Drive is fine.

Super annoying and Afrihost's client service doens't know how to respond to the issue.

jammio

Hi @Cell_C please note that you've lost me as a customer as of this month because of this ****. Thanks

hjst45

I've reported Arihost to the consumer protection ombudsman, hopefully we'll get some sort of a response since these companies couldn't care less about Hellopeter.

I suggest the rest of you do the same with Cell C. The more complaints, the better I rate.

airborne

Executive Member
I've reported Arihost to the consumer protection ombudsman, hopefully we'll get some sort of a response since these companies couldn't care less about Hellopeter.

I suggest the rest of you do the same with Cell C. The more complaints, the better I rate.
Do you have link to where they can be reported to the ombudsman?

BradleyKZN

So looks like Cell C will be switching off Fixed LTE from other providers from end October. I now only have Telkom LTE as as an option.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Yeah probably why they started limiting the speeds on these deals. I just got a sim from Afrihost so hope they don't rip me the R999 when they cancel it. :unsure:

Also the article mention IS but Afrihost does not go through IS so they probably getting it directly from Cellc like IS.

BradleyKZN

Yeah probably why they started limiting the speeds on these deals. I just got a sim from Afrihost so hope they don't rip me the R999 when they cancel it. :unsure:

Also the article mention IS but Afrihost does not go through IS so they probably getting it directly from Cellc like IS.
It says this in the article.

The network’s fixed-LTE product was offered to ISPs through Internet Solutions (IS), and was sold by the likes of Axxess, RSAWEB, and Afrihost
They might give you the option of either returning the router or keeping the R999 when they cancel the service. Thankfully I get to keep my router as I have been on the package for a year now.
I have cancelled my Cell C package, which ends at the end of September and will get the Telkom one for October.

hjst45

Afrihost is now offering both CellC and Telkom as options. Yet, no one at Afrihost knows how to switch to Telkom without cancelling and paying the penalty :rolleyes:

cavedog

Honorary Master
It says this in the article.

They might give you the option of either returning the router or keeping the R999 when they cancel the service. Thankfully I get to keep my router as I have been on the package for a year now.
I have cancelled my Cell C package, which ends at the end of September and will get the Telkom one for October.
The article is wrong. Show me on this trace route where the traffic touches IS network and the APN is afrihost too. In the very beginning they just resold the IS product but they moved it over to their own network AIR Mobile. Still Cellc though so obviously not sure what agreement they have but I bet it would be the same as IS.

Friday13th

This may sound like a stupid question, but I must ask. What does this mean to Cell C's own LTE customers? Will our service continue as signed in our contracts?

I got the day/night LTE package and YouTube buffers like mad. Used to watch 1080p YouTube videos and now can only do 480p. After a moment, video will pause and will continue again. This happens at any time of the day: morning, afternoon, evening, 5am or 3pm or 11 at night or 2 in the morning. *Edit this is for 480p videos. HD is unwatchable at the moment.

Funny enough my torrents fly as always. All normal downloads are fine.
Not only YouTube but it seems any video streaming/playing is not smooth.

My experience started from July or so. It used to be perfect before that.