Is Centurion D5 Smart motor any good?

soload00

The Centurion Evo D5 motor has some really nice features.

One of them is the Chronoguard timer.

I programmed ours to open the gate during business hours and close it at night.

One timer setting for Mon to Fri, another setting for weekends.

Works perfectly:)

Stef100

Hi All
Can I do the following conversion to my Centurion D5 Evo?
I explain:
Our small complex have a relatively new Centurion D5Evo. We do however have bat problems fairly often as the small 7Ah battery just can't keep up with the demand during load shedding and most likely gets well below the 50% capacity you should use deep cycle batteries. The result is that the battery does not last. The small 1Amp charger also seems to battle to charge it fully during the short time it has power.

My intention is to purchase a 18Ah battery and a 3 Amp charger and put it in a exciting power box close by and run a 12V cable(2meters long thick copper wire) with a 10Amp fuse to the Gate Motor. This way I have ample capacity and a stronger charger which hopefully should solve my problems.

Is there anybody that has done something similar that can give advice? This is slightly beyond my scope of DIY but I am a keep learner of all things and have ample respect for electricity(when we have it). I have send Centurion(CT branch) an email, but no respond as yet.

Many thanks in advance.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Hi All
I explain:
Our small complex have a relatively new Centurion D5Evo. We do however have bat problems fairly often as the small 7Ah battery just can't keep up with the demand during load shedding and most likely gets well below the 50% capacity you should use deep cycle batteries. The result is that the battery does not last. The small 1Amp charger also seems to battle to charge it fully during the short time it has power.

My intention is to purchase a 18Ah battery and a 3 Amp charger and put it in a exciting power box close by and run a 12V cable(2meters long thick copper wire) with a 10Amp fuse to the Gate Motor. This way I have ample capacity and a stronger charger which hopefully should solve my problems.

Is there anybody that has done something similar that can give advice? This is slightly beyond my scope of DIY but I am a keep learner of all things and have ample respect for electricity(when we have it). I have send Centurion(CT branch) an email, but no respond as yet.

Many thanks in advance.
Just go to Centurion and ask them for their already existing external power box and charger they have. Musch easier and already approved. Not as exciting as your project but just as effective.

spiff

Executive Member
does the D5 smart fit on the same foot print of the D3?

Smokey mcpot

Expert Member
great so it just bolts onto the existing setup.
Ya, then your wires run to a different corner on the d5 smart.

Personally I would replace the base as well. I've looked at someone's where I'm going to be changing the motor. In his case I noticed what usually happens, the base sags and the motor sits at an angle. So I would chip out the old base, the d5 smart base has "feet" which you pull downwards to keep it standing up. Then add concrete and let it set.
Another tip, use anchor fix and it sets much quicker.bfor extra strength even add some mesh in the mixture.

spiff

Executive Member
Ya, then your wires run to a different corner on the d5 smart.

Personally I would replace the base as well. I've looked at someone's where I'm going to be changing the motor. In his case I noticed what usually happens, the base sags and the motor sits at an angle. So I would chip out the old base, the d5 smart base has "feet" which you pull downwards to keep it standing up. Then add concrete and let it set.
Another tip, use anchor fix and it sets much quicker.bfor extra strength even add some mesh in the mixture.
thanks. my old D3 base is concrete been there since 1996. not much room to work in.

I'm also concerned about using the original track and the track height for the new D5?

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Frankly, if I was to ever replace my motor, it would be off the ground, half way up the gate on a proper pedestal, away from a flooding danger on a new rail

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
Hi All
I explain:

Many thanks in advance.
I had to change the motor in our complex from a D5evo to a D10 a while ago due to this exact issue.
The D5 runs from the battery which gets charged from mains, the D10 runs from mains with battery backup.

We always had issues at certain times of the day with excessive use causing the batteries to fail prematurely.

Smokey mcpot

Expert Member
Dont know how I missed that post @Stef100

You dont need the additional charger, but it would definitely charge quicker with the extra charger. Wires minimum of 1.5mm thick. You can go with an even bigger battery if you like... 40ah does the trick for a complex.

Centurion wont approve of it though, hence the lack of a response. Warranty issues as well.

@Rocket-Boy , didbthe d10 make any difference. It shouldn't last much longer than the d5 evo did. You need a bigger battery as the battery is still the weak point once loadshedding hits.

Smokey mcpot

Expert Member
thanks. my old D3 base is concrete been there since 1996. not much room to work in.

I'm also concerned about using the original track and the track height for the new D5?
Remove your motor and base plate. Put down the d5 smart base and trace out the area where the feet will be place. I think they have the holes for threaded studs as well, trace those on the concrete as well. Hammer drill and make the holes slightly bigger than the markings you traced. Fit studs and feet, fill with a decent anchor fix and then mount plate ensuring that its level (can use the anchor fix as a mortar bed as well for levelling). Within a few hours you'll be ready to mount your motor back on the plate.

Also dont forget tobroute your cables along the correct path for your motor.

EDIT: for the track are you referring to the track where the wheels run or the toothed track which gets moved by the motor.
For the wheels, these normally are quite tough, but if it has been there since 96 it might have had some wear and replacing isn't such a bad idea.
For the toothed one, if you're changing the base and the height changed you'll have to adjust the height. New motor comes with a new rail so you might as well change it and have a fresher looking one as well.

spiff

Executive Member
Remove your motor and base plate. Put down the d5 smart base and trace out the area where the feet will be place. I think they have the holes for threaded studs as well, trace those on the concrete as well. Hammer drill and make the holes slightly bigger than the markings you traced. Fit studs and feet, fill with a decent anchor fix and then mount plate ensuring that its level (can use the anchor fix as a mortar bed as well for levelling). Within a few hours you'll be ready to mount your motor back on the plate.

Also dont forget tobroute your cables along the correct path for your motor.
great thanks for the advice.

will my existing D3 anti theft bracket fit the new D5?

rh1

Expert Member
The motor is inside, there's even a passive covering the driveway.

Unfortunately we have so many beggars, trolley guys and random pedestrians casually sauntering by (and this is a "quiet suburb") you never know who's casing the joint. Recently a couple of young guys have been collecting garden refuse in an old bakkie. They'll accept R50 or R100 or whatever you give them in payment.

Whoever vandalised our motor came from amateur city but they did know about the driveway passive because they worked through the gate from outside and bigger pieces that didn't fit through the openings in the gate were left lying inside.

Thieves took the batteries, controller and power thingy.

Sorry, I can't rotate this pic:
View attachment 1055569

P.S. Security company quoted R4k to fix this motor and I'll end up with a 10 year old motor :(
This happened to me, bank insurance paid out and installed a security bracket. I know I have D5, not sure if it is a smart model.

The Horseman

Glad I found this thread. . My D5 is giving me issues, it's at least 10 years old, possibly more. I know I can get this fixed by calling someone out which I only do if I can't fix it myself. Or I was toying with the idea of just upgrading to the D5 smart.

Would you say it is a good investment to upgrade or rather fix? I don't have money to burn but I do care for reliability. I also like the idea of the gate opening quicker. Mine is not the fastest.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Glad I found this thread. . My D5 is giving me issues, it's at least 10 years old, possibly more. I know I can get this fixed by calling someone out which I only do if I can't fix it myself. Or I was toying with the idea of just upgrading to the D5 smart.

Would you say it is a good investment to upgrade or rather fix? I don't have money to burn but I do care for reliability. I also like the idea of the gate opening quicker. Mine is not the fastest.
If you are able, remove motor take to centurion for an evaluation and then decide to fix or upgrade.