Is Centurion D5 Smart motor any good?

Louis72

Expert Member
See this is what I'm thinking. Security company want to charge R7 900 + VAT for the motor plus batteries and while I don't begrudge them their profit we're talking R2 500/R3 500 difference in price.

That's crazy.
Exactly the same story with ADT years ago. With a DSC alarm system the Keypad from a security store/supplier was around R1100 or so per keypad. ADT wanted R2200 for the exact same excluding installation.

The Horseman

So I got the D5 smart installed yesterday and holy smoke is it awesome. The speed is incredible, I always hated how slow my D5 was. This thing literally shoots open and closed, it's so cool.

Setting the gate up via the app was fun. It kept showing a sensor error though, but after a call to Centurion they figured it out. Soon as they fixed it the app's health bar goes green. I thought that was pretty cool.

I just want to go outside and open and close my gate via the app :D :D

Shout out to @Smokey mcpot for the great advice and assistance! You da man.

Smokey mcpot

Expert Member
Glad I could help man. A little PM can do wonders at times.

On the topic of this thread, seems like everyone has been impressed with the d5 smart so far.
Personal opinion though, I wish their smart side had been more along the lines of a sonoff smart device, however fitting the little device is all you need for a proper smart motor.

The Horseman

Glad I could help man. A little PM can do wonders at times.

On the topic of this thread, seems like everyone has been impressed with the d5 smart so far.
Personal opinion though, I wish their smart side had been more along the lines of a sonoff smart device, however fitting the little device is all you need for a proper smart motor.

I wish the motor connected over wifi.

How would a sonoff switch be used in this scenario?

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
After visiting this thread, I keep getting adverts for the D5 on YT videos...

The big difference in speed is due to the 24V DC motor, previously only available on the D10 model. The price is accordingly higher.

Smokey mcpot

Expert Member
I wish the motor connected over wifi.

How would a sonoff switch be used in this scenario?
Just fit it the same way you fit a receiver. You get the 5-12v unit for the gate motors. Just make sure its within range of wifi connection and it works.

I haven't personally done it, but some guys fit reed switches which tells you if it's open or closed. Think theres a thread on that somewhere

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
So I got the D5 smart installed yesterday and holy smoke is it awesome. The speed is incredible, I always hated how slow my D5 was. This thing literally shoots open and closed, it's so cool.

Setting the gate up via the app was fun. It kept showing a sensor error though, but after a call to Centurion they figured it out. Soon as they fixed it the app's health bar goes green. I thought that was pretty cool.

I just want to go outside and open and close my gate via the app :D :D

Shout out to @Smokey mcpot for the great advice and assistance! You da man.
So did you fit it yourself?
And what was the app error?

Last edited:

The Horseman

Just fit it the same way you fit a receiver. You get the 5-12v unit for the gate motors. Just make sure its within range of wifi connection and it works.

I haven't personally done it, but some guys fit reed switches which tells you if it's open or closed. Think theres a thread on that somewhere
Cool, going to look into it. Although its just a nice to have, not crucial.

upup

Executive Member
Thank you sooooooo much Geoff.

The previous motor was installed on a slightly raised concrete piece of concrete so that's where the new one will go. I'll mention the surge protector and hope the installer understands :)
As @Geoff.D said, insist on a proper earth to mother earth, not the power earth, only then it might run problem free.

Smokey mcpot

Expert Member
Cool, going to look into it. Although its just a nice to have, not crucial.

True, it's not crucial.
Like I fitted a sonoff for one of my neighbors. He constantly forgot his remote somewhere. He's exact words were "I wish I could open it with my phone, I never go anywhere without my phone". So he got what he needed. Plus the bonus of being able to open for anyone from anywhere.

However if you've got everything else on a remote (alarm, garage door, pedestrian gate, panic button, electric fence etc) then might as well keep the sliding gate there as well... unless all of them get sonoffs too.

In fact, these are still functioning via remote while they've got sonoffs as well. So if you slowly want to convert to smart then doing it one by one isn't a problem. I'm currently doing this with another client of mine. Changed all his receivers and motors which got damaged. Fitted some sonoff lights around his house and now he is slowly adding the gates, doors, fence etc to sonoff as well.
This guy has 4 remotes (each car key) which hangs on the wall when they come inside. Then 2 remotes in each lounge mounted on the wall, 2 remotes in the upstairs bedrooms with balconies facing the front of the house also mounted and then one in the office where he can see who's at the entrance via the cameras and another remote which will be mounted in the new study which is currently being renovated. These were all mounted for the convenience of not having to look for keys and not having to walk around the house looking for a remote when you could see who is at the doors/gates.
After the convenience of the lights and not having to get out of bed to switch off, he now wants that same convenience for opening and closing lol. So not a major need, but more a nice to have that he will expand once renovations are done and spare cash is available

Stef100

Dont know how I missed that post @Stef100

You dont need the additional charger, but it would definitely charge quicker with the extra charger. Wires minimum of 1.5mm thick. You can go with an even bigger battery if you like... 40ah does the trick for a complex.

Centurion wont approve of it though, hence the lack of a response. Warranty issues as well.

@Rocket-Boy , didbthe d10 make any difference. It shouldn't last much longer than the d5 evo did. You need a bigger battery as the battery is still the weak point once loadshedding hits.
Thanks for the info. I have made contact with a local installer that has done similar conversion quite a few times. He advised to use Centurion's 33Ah battery and a 5Amp charger(with trickle charge capabilities). The guys from Centurion did actually replied and was quite helpful. They advised to install a 10Amp fuse and a flyback diode and on the PC board a small adjudgment to make it believe it gets 220V, otherwise the buzzer goes off continuedly because I would have removed the internal charger. Once again thanks for your input. Regards

Smokey mcpot

Expert Member
Glad they got back to you.

On my side I didn't have to do everything as per their email, in fact they told me as an installer they dont advise any changes to the motor.
I deal with ET more often and am also a certified installer with them. I pop in at their workshop very often and have discussed this with them as well. Their official answer is also that the motors should not be tampered with, but their technician and the aunty who solders the boards have had many "off the record" chats with me and have given the go ahead to do the mods on the motor.

Archie1

Looking to get a D5 Smart installed soon. Was looking around at prices and came across this:

Does this seem like a good deal or might I find this combo cheaper elsewhere?

Saba'a

Executive Member
Looking to get a D5 Smart installed soon. Was looking around at prices and came across this:

Does this seem like a good deal or might I find this combo cheaper elsewhere?
Dont know about best prices.

But def a great buy. Fast opening and closing and I appreciate ability to change settings on phone.

Apbeit after initial setup, not much use for it.

neoprema

Executive Member
Our new house has a Centurion motor, not D5 i think the one before it.
its so complicated lol i have no clue what its doing.

I need to install some motion sensors as it currently just closes on anything, but I'll probably find an installer before i break this thing.