Is Centurion D5 Smart motor any good?

Saba'a

Executive Member
Our new house has a Centurion motor, not D5 i think the one before it.
its so complicated lol i have no clue what its doing.

I need to install some motion sensors as it currently just closes on anything, but I'll probably find an installer before i break this thing.
Centurion has beams for their gate motors.

Steamy Tom

Executive Member
Looking to get a D5 Smart installed soon. Was looking around at prices and came across this:

Does this seem like a good deal or might I find this combo cheaper elsewhere?
Where are you based?

Steamy Tom

Executive Member
Our new house has a Centurion motor, not D5 i think the one before it.
its so complicated lol i have no clue what its doing.

I need to install some motion sensors as it currently just closes on anything, but I'll probably find an installer before i break this thing.
Where you based?

Saba'a

Executive Member
In Stanger (KZN). Security Hyperstore managed to give me the combo they currently have (which I linked to above), but with the photon beams instead, for R500 more.
You'll love the D5 Smart for
1. Speedy closure and opening due to 24V motor
2. Coding remotes via app
3. Setting changes
Only pity its via bluetooth and not wifi. But one barely uses these.

Also pity cannot close using phone via wifi. Can add remote opening (I think it uses gsm) but at quite a cost.

Archie1

You'll love the D5 Smart for
1. Speedy closure and opening due to 24V motor
2. Coding remotes via app
3. Setting changes
Only pity its via bluetooth and not wifi. But one barely uses these.

Also pity cannot close using phone via wifi. Can add remote opening (I think it uses gsm) but at quite a cost.
Cool, yeah looking forward to it :) The no wifi option is no train smash though. Seems like quite a good option overall.

neoprema

Executive Member
Do you want gate beams and install or just beams supplied? Personally I'm not a fan of gate beams and auto closing, but it is a safety factor I agree.
I'm looking for a configuration where the beam keep the gate open until the vehicle, or person passes them then immediately closes the gate and ignores any beam input until closed.

Supply, install and also maybe figure out why the remote control range on our gate is so bad -anything more than 15m away and it picks up nothing.

Steamy Tom

Executive Member
I'm looking for a configuration where the beam keep the gate open until the vehicle, or person passes them then immediately closes the gate and ignores any beam input until closed.

Supply, install and also maybe figure out why the remote control range on our gate is so bad -anything more than 15m away and it picks up nothing.

so a standard beam setup will stop the gate when the beams are triggered, what you almost want is a triggered closing, it is totaly possible but custom and there are some things to consider for sure to ensure there are no closing accidents, let me ponder a little.

the remote issue could be a few things, a higher range receiver could always be installed, or the existing ones aerial could be snaked out of the enclosure. You also only want the remote triggering at so much distance anyway, technically you shouldnt be triggering the gate when you cant see it.

Saba'a

Executive Member
so a standard beam setup will stop the gate when the beams are triggered, what you almost want is a triggered closing, it is totaly possible but custom and there are some things to consider for sure to ensure there are no closing accidents, let me ponder a little.

the remote issue could be a few things, a higher range receiver could always be installed, or the existing ones aerial could be snaked out of the enclosure. You also only want the remote triggering at so much distance anyway, technically you shouldnt be triggering the gate when you cant see it.
Yep
Sight of gate. I insist that gate only be closed or opened if seen. So rule is - check on cameras if not at the gate in person.

Closing after one person/car passed is risky as it will occur. People will assume beam will stop gate closing.

Steamy Tom

Executive Member
Yep
Sight of gate. I insist that gate only be closed or opened if seen. So rule is - check on cameras if not at the gate in person.

Closing after one person/car passed is risky as it will occur. People will assume beam will stop gate closing.

yeah i have seen just how easy even the most thoughtout setups have issues, guy lends his friends trailer for example, gate closes after he come in, driveway not long enough for car and trailer and bang nice ding in the trailer, gate needs to be reset yada yada

guy pulls in, remembers he forgot something at the shop, hits it stright into reverse, gate hits side of car

neoprema

Executive Member

Hmm ok so another case then is just beams to stop it closing on a car.

My only concern is that i've heard stories of the criminales putting their hands on the beam when you've driven in to allow their car to drive in behind you, hence why I asked.

At the complex I moved out of it was set that once one object triggered the beams and moved on- the gate closed immediately and would ignore all beam input until the next cycle.

Steamy Tom

Executive Member
Hmm ok so another case then is just beams to stop it closing on a car.

My only concern is that i've heard stories of the criminales putting their hands on the beam when you've driven in to allow their car to drive in behind you, hence why I asked.

At the complex I moved out of it was set that once one object triggered the beams and moved on- the gate closed immediately and would ignore all beam input until the next cycle.

ok so they had it on opening vs closing configuration. on the motor inputs you will see an open, common and closing terminal. in the one case interuption causes the gate to stop opening and close, and the other the gate to stop closing and open.

yeah the guys use their hand or tape etc to block it in order to keep the gate open

neoprema

Executive Member
So i'm settled in and need to finally make some changes to this gate. Anyone with experience - also with Digidoor could you possibly help me below:

1. Our Digidoor II responds to one of the buttons on the Centurion Nova remote. But I CANNOT PAIR any new Centurion remotes to our Digidoor, only Digidoor remotes. So how did they get one of the 4-button Centurion's to open the Digidoor?

2. Is there a receiver range setting? You basically have to sit on top of the gate for the remotes to open it.

3. For some reason, there's 3 receivers? 1 x built-in Centurion on the Smart Controller LCD thingy, 1 x Black receiver with Centurion Branding 1 x White receiver with no branding. I THINK the one black receiver might be for the wireless keypad for ADT. But other than that not sure why so many other receivers?

4. I want to fit 2 spotlights that cross-shine over the outside of the driveway when the Centurion opens. Is does the D5's ability to do this actually send 220V down the wire or is it just a "switch" that can switch 220V feeds on or off (from elsewhere) ?