Is Herotel's Fibre any good?

PrimeSteak

Hey guys, so it seems like Herotel is going to do the Fibre installations for my town (Oudtshoorn, in the middle of the Klein Karoo)

Apparently, they are offering to double your speed if you sign up with them and let them install a pole in your backyard. And I'm trying to convince my parents to get fibre for our household... But anyway, enough backstory. Is Herotel any good? How's their connection quality(why I'm specifically asking for this is because I want to be able to game without 250+ ping and 9 years worth of packet loss and watch Netflix without the quality jumping to 144p and buffering every 5 mins), customer service, etc. I want all the facts before trying to convince my parents.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Kind Regards
Ya Boi PrimeSteak
Capture.JPG

Shadow07

Hey man,

I was also on the fence with them cause they were part of Breedenet and we had their wireless service (breedenet, not Herotel) at work and it was not good at all. I did however make the jump to their 100mb/100mb for R999 FTTH here in Worcester and it has been so dam amazing.

Ping of 3 and streaming in 4K with no issues whatsoever. They really impressed me. Ping in game 15 - 38 in the new COD.

CataclysmZA

Executive Member
I'm on Herotel wireless currently and already it's fair compared to what I was getting on DSL in terms of latencies. Fibre is being brought into my suburb in Jeffreys Bay, so I'll be able to test it in December.

Herotel has their own network, and if memory serves they are still connected via Openserve's back-end (which means SAT3 internationally). International latencies are decent even on wireless, and fibre would see that drop down quite a bit more (think 260ms to 160-ish, thumbsucking).

The only speedtest I know of on Herotel's fibre is this one posted in my thread:

Fibre in Jeffreys Bay coming, built by Igen | Page 3 | MyBroadband Forum

I'm sure @avk could run a speedtest or two to show you international pings.

Shadow07

Just shout if you want me to do any tests.

Yeah I also thought it was an amazing price. Was on promotion when they were launching fibre in the area.

Regarding your post in another thread, their fibre package does not have any FUP whatsoever. Already on 1TB for the month and have done 400gb in a week.

PrimeSteak

Just shout if you want me to do any tests.

Yeah I also thought it was an amazing price. Was on promotion when they were launching fibre in the area.

Regarding your post in another thread, their fibre package does not have any FUP whatsoever. Already on 1TB for the month and have done 400gb in a week.
What kind of tests? Lol (Talking about tests.. All of these leaked exam papers which could possibly lead to a rewrite is TESTING me. XDDDDDDD)

avk

Current speedtest on my 10MB fibre line in JBay (local of course for this test):

1606154596002.png

I don't do any online gaming, so I tried this site https://gameserverping.com/ and it seems to average out at about 240-250 for US based servers and 180-190 for EU based servers for e.g. testing ping for CS:GO servers.

CataclysmZA

Executive Member
I don't do any online gaming, so I tried this site https://gameserverping.com/ and it seems to average out at about 240-250 for US based servers and 180-190 for EU based servers for e.g. testing ping for CS:GO servers.
Sounds about right for any ISP that doesn't make use of SACS to bring down ping times to the US.

Add 30-40ms to those latencies and that's about what I see too.

Sandman1

My folks town Groblersdal is also getting fibre through this company. Herotel mentioned it should be live by end of March 2021.

Hoping they provide a decent service. The local wireless internet service really sucks.

Sandman1

My folks fibre connection went live. Getting 20/20 speed with a ping of 9ms. I am impressed with their aggressive roll out. From the first week of November 2020 with handing out flyers to getting a working connection today.

Sandman1

FYI,

They have increased speeds as mentioned on thier website. Now paying R499 for a 50mbps line. Just call them to increase your speed depending on the amount you paying otherwise they won't automatically upgrade it.

IMG_1741.jpg

PrimeSteak

FYI,
They have increased speeds as mentioned on thier website. Now paying R499 for a 50mbps line. Just call them to increase your speed depending on the amount you paying otherwise they won't automatically upgrade it.
View attachment 1066643
We haven't got the fibre yet, cause the infrastructure rollout isn't finished. But as soon as the rollout is done and the network is online, we'll be getting the R499 package.

• Love
Reactions: Yuu

PrimeSteak

How long does it even take to get the network going anyway? Cause they started installing the infrastructure in Nov 2020, it's May 2021 and they're not even done.

Last edited:

MEG101

Herotel is busy rolling out aerial fiber infrastructure in my town (Naboomspruit Limpopo) and I am glad to see that small towns are being rolled out as well, not just the big town and cities like the big fiber companies are doing. When the network is live, I will be talking the 50mbps package for R499.00 - which offers good value for money, lots of people are waiting for them to go live - and experience lekker uncapped unshaped internet. If the 50mbps package perform to my expectations, I might be upgrading to 75mbps for R699.00 and later 100mbps for R849.00. Even the 200mbps package costs R999.00, prices are great if considering other FNO like Vuma, that happens to be also doing roll outs in my area, charges +- R900.00 cheapest package for 20mbps and well over R1000.00 for 100mbps.

MEG101

75mb installed yesterday, so far so good View attachment 1066655
Please let us know how the performance are, I am considering the 50mbps package @ R499.00. Is the service completely uncapped, unshaped unthrottled with NO FUP. This is my concern is the FUP with some ISP's. Please streaming and downloading (normal FTP and P2P and if any shaping during the day). Thank you

PrimeSteak

Herotel is busy rolling out aerial fiber infrastructure in my town (Naboomspruit Limpopo) and I am glad to see that small towns are being rolled out as well, not just the big town and cities like the big fiber companies are doing. When the network is live, I will be talking the 50mbps package for R499.00 - which offers good value for money, lots of people are waiting for them to go live - and experience lekker uncapped unshaped internet. If the 50mbps package perform to my expectations, I might be upgrading to 75mbps for R699.00 and later 100mbps for R849.00. Even the 200mbps package costs R999.00, prices are great if considering other FNO like Vuma, that happens to be also doing roll outs in my area, charges +- R900.00 cheapest package for 20mbps and well over R1000.00 for 100mbps.
Tbf I can't wait to get fibre so that I can play CSGO and siege or any online multiplayer again (haven't played in 6 -7 months cause of connection problems). But I agree, R499 for 50mbps is pretty ****ing cool.