Is Herotel's Fibre any good?

PrimeSteak

Any good? Against the competition? In the karoo?
The only internet options/competition I know of in my town at the moment are either small-town WISPs (that are basically Telkom middlemen, my fam and I are subscribed with one of these, it's not fun, service is horrible) or Telkom themselves or just biting the bullet and buying data. So anything would be better than my current options really and Herotel/Fibre in general caught my eye lol...

Sandman1

The performance is really good, there are occaional dips , but overall i am really happy. Its value for money as I was paying R700 for an unreliable 4meg wisp connection a month ago.

Vercogen

Expert Member
Please let us know how the performance are, I am considering the 50mbps package @ R499.00. Is the service completely uncapped, unshaped unthrottled with NO FUP. This is my concern is the FUP with some ISP's. Please streaming and downloading (normal FTP and P2P and if any shaping during the day). Thank you
They are throtling my torrents atm. Also the router they gave me is not as good with range as my previous little 3g router. My Plex keeps buffering, never had that problem with my previous router. Anyone have any ideas?

Streaming is excellent, streaming 1080 with no buffering thus far

MEG101

They are throtling my torrents atm. Also the router they gave me is not as good with range as my previous little 3g router. My Plex keeps buffering, never had that problem with my previous router. Anyone have any ideas?

Sounds like certain protocols is restricted (throttled) like p2p (torrents) Plex should also stream just like normal streaming services like Netflix. It can be that the router is not able to handle the bandwidth - as far as I know this should be a completely unshaped service with no shaping on any protocol, you should be able to download torrents, FTP downloads, streaming etc on full line speed no matter what time of the day. Can also be that the router is not correctly configured. I think give them a call as ask about this as the website states true uncapped with no FUP and that means unshaped in my book.

PrimeSteak

UPDATE: The installation of the infrastructure of the network in my town is almost complete (should be done by the end of the month) and my neighbourhood will be the first to be connected to the network. Things are looking up boys

MEG101

UPDATE: The installation of the infrastructure of the network in my town is almost complete (should be done by the end of the month) and my neighbourhood will be the first to be connected to the network. Things are looking up boys
My town is also being rolled out, hoping this will be done by month end and switched on. Vuma started with a bang and roads were trenched and cables installed...and of a sudden all got halted for over a month now, needless to say the network is still offline. Looks like Herotel will be online before Vuma.

Reactions: Yuu

PrimeSteak

My town is also being rolled out, hoping this will be done by month end and switched on. Vuma started with a bang and roads were trenched and cables installed...and of a sudden all got halted for over a month now, needless to say the network is still offline. Looks like Herotel will be online before Vuma.
For how long were they busy with the installation before they halted the process?

MEG101

For how long were they busy with the installation before they halted the process?
The started end of February and finished with the process end April - then we heard they are waiting for some parts that needs to be installed on the main node... since then it is at a standstill. Hopefully we are online soon.

PrimeSteak

The started end of February and finished with the process end April - then we heard they are waiting for some parts that needs to be installed on the main node... since then it is at a standstill. Hopefully we are online soon.
Well, it took about 6 -7 months to get to where my town is now so I hope it doesn't take as long on your side

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
They're also digging up in my small town. The guy says 2-3 months. So...

• Love

CataclysmZA

Executive Member

Did you get that Totolink router with the four antennae?

PrimeSteak

UPDATE: My neighbourhood is finally live! Now to get the fibre installed and finally play Star Wars Battlefront 2 (I waited until I get a better internet connection to download and play it). Will post my experience after getting the fibre and testing it for a while.

XTM

UPDATE: My neighbourhood is finally live! Now to get the fibre installed and finally play Star Wars Battlefront 2 (I waited until I get a better internet connection to download and play it). Will post my experience after getting the fibre and testing it for a while.
Area?

MEG101

They are busy building in my area, and the ETA for going live is August/September. The packages are good and they offer uncapped, unshaped, unthrottled internet with no FUP. Prices also very good starting @ R499 for 50/50, R699 for 75/75, R849 for 100/100 and R999 for 200/200

Last edited:

piranha786

Expert Member
Also waiting for fibre to come live. Pole is up, cable is on the poles, but it seems they taking forever. Started in Dec 2020

• Love

PrimeSteak

UPDATE: So the fibre is installed and up and running. We have the 50Mbps package. So far downloading games, browsing, watching vids at 1080p and uploading is absolutely outstanding! I will test online gaming after I replace my PSU and HDD today.

Grouter

Expert Member
UPDATE: So the fibre is installed and up and running. We have the 50Mbps package. So far downloading games, browsing, watching vids at 1080p and uploading is absolutely outstanding! I will test online gaming after I replace my PSU and HDD today.
The 50 / 50 @ R499 is also what I'm signing up for. I hope Herotel doesn't disappoint...

PrimeSteak

The 50 / 50 @ R499 is also what I'm signing up for. I hope Herotel doesn't disappoint...
Just tested the gaming. No packet loss across the board so far. Relatively low ping locally, it gets higher if you play overseas of course (I recommend European servers) but still no loss so it doesn't affect performance.

Rocket League (Local Servers): Ping is below 45
Rocket League (Europe): Ping is slightly above 210 but no packet loss (same experience as local basically)
CSGO (Local): Ping below 40

So far the connection is actually pretty good all-around (gaming, browsing, streaming, etc). I'm sure you won't be disappointed