Is it alright/legal for a company to request your 3 months bank statement when about to be employed by them?

Jimmy Neutron

It just seems a bit odd. Mind you I've not dealt with employment contracts in a while as I was busy with something else.

This being especially how you are entering a contract where you'll be getting paid and not vice-versa like getting a loan.

I have the job offer, but I'm also thinking of having a lawyer look over it just to be on the safe side.

Leno

Expert Member
Only reason would be to prove your old salary, but normally you give payslips - maybe those are being forged lol

If it is to prove salary maybe offer your last irp5 or tax return

AdrianH

Expert Member
It could be that are actually after proof of bank account and/or proof of address. That can be done without statements though as you can download this letter from internet banking or banking apps normally.

I would ask them why? You could also blank out the transactions entirely as well, and just leave name, address and account details behind.

Jimmy Neutron

Thank you everyone for the responses. I'll be getting in touch with lawyers before I put pen on paper for anything.

Bank statements are extremely confidential as we witnessed with the CR17 campaign bank statements.

joker08

Expert Member
Many edit the salary slips to make their initial package higher, so the tradition of asking for bank statements now.

Jimmy Neutron

Many edit the salary slips to make their initial package higher, so the tradition of asking for bank statements now.
I get keeping what you earn from said company a secret, but WHY ask for the bank statement which is in most instances asked from you when you're borrowing money instead of getting it when you're being hired, money from the said company would definitely be most confidential.

RonSwanson

Executive Member
I get keeping what you earn from said company a secret, but WHY ask for the bank statement which is in most instances asked from you when you're borrowing money instead of getting it when you're being hired, money from the said company would definitely be most confidential.
You should ask the prospective employer (very politely of course) what exactly they want to see in the bank statements. If it's proof of salary paid in, then ask them if they would mind if you redact personal information and transactions. It's a perfectly reasonable request, since they are basically asking you to dox yourself / spill your guts on the front lawn for all to see.
If their request is reasonable, then they should agree to it.
The only time that it may be an issue is if for example you are being employed in a financial capacity. They may want to verify whether or not you are living beyond your means, and whether you have alternate sources of income / side hustle other than your normal employer. If this is so then the job-spec needs to make it clear upfront.
Regardless, it's a pretty silly way of verifying it, very 80s.

RonSwanson

Executive Member
This. exactly this.

Like what if I decide to blackout/edit the not so(but inherently live for) lifestyle I might choose to live?

What then?
If you've been around, you would have realised by now that HR is 99% filled with 30 percenters that couldn't get a jop in guffmint. They typically have a very poor understanding of their function, and even less of the controls which they are required to implement.

B-1

Expert Member
I would ask to see the companies bank statements as well so we both know where we stand. It would be a huge red flag for me unless you agreed to getting security vetted for one or other reason.

Arthur

Honorary Master
Of course there's no legal requirement to provide bank statements or past payslips. It's entirely up to you whether you wish to provide them. They might insist, and you might decline, in which case you go your separate ways.

I would firmly and politely (with a smile) brush off any such request as none of their business.

PaulMurkin

Someone is being lowballed... that's what the request is for... to see how far they can lowball on salary.

Jimmy Neutron

I would ask to see the companies bank statements as well so we both know where we stand. It would be a huge red flag for me unless you agreed to getting security vetted for one or other reason.
This is a major company not just in this country, but worldide as well.

I'm talking Toyota, McDs, Apple and big similar levels for example.

Thugscub

Expert Member
No company or any one else will get my bank statements.
Fkm.
Ask the twat employing you if they will give you their personal bank statements.