Is it alright/legal for a company to request your 3 months bank statement when about to be employed by them?

JohnStarr

Executive Member
I've never heard of it and would avoid any company that would even think about it, it has nothing to do with them what my current financial position is.
If it was illegal, it would be law. Or you'd have heard of cases against it being won.
That said, getting fibre, a car loan, housing loan etc. will all require bank statements as proof of your financial status.

RandomGeek

Expert Member
Is this a company in Financial services, and is your position closely related to finance, with them checking to see if you are doing OK financially?

Financially desperate people are more likely to embezzle money out of pure desperation

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
If it was illegal, it would be law. Or you'd have heard of cases against it being won.
That said, getting fibre, a car loan, housing loan etc. will all require bank statements as proof of your financial status.
Those all require a credit history and need to know your financial status, not sure how you can compare that.

The only cases I can think of bank statement disclosure are things like bodyguard, probably politicians, or other cases where it's very important to know in regards to bribery etc.

For 95% of jobs I'd instantly go no, and since the OP said major company I can't think of any position of those where it would be fine, call center, software dev, cleaning person, all those your financial status has nothing to do with the company.

JohnStarr

Executive Member
Those all require a credit history and need to know your financial status, not sure how you can compare that.

The only cases I can think of bank statement disclosure are things like bodyguard, probably politicians, or other cases where it's very important to know in regards to bribery etc.

For 95% of jobs I'd instantly go no, and since the OP said major company I can't think of any position of those where it would be fine, call center, software dev, cleaning person, all those your financial status has nothing to do with the company.
Yeah, and you continue doing this when you lose jobs because you continually push back at potential employers. 30%+ unemployment and all.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Yeah, and you continue doing this when you lose jobs because you continually push back at potential employers. 30%+ unemployment and all.
What are you talking about? That's quite an whataboutism comment. It is super out of the norm to have that, and you shouldn't let it become a norm, and OP for example can afford to have a lawyer look at it, I think they'd be able to afford to try and find another company.

If you're in that super low end unemployment side, bank statements make even less sense as you are going for a job where you probably don't need many skills, so not a trusted job, why bank statement?

PaulMurkin

Is this a company in Financial services, and is your position closely related to finance, with them checking to see if you are doing OK financially?

Financially desperate people are more likely to embezzle money out of pure desperation
That is an assumption and profiling- you can't do that, that's the same as saying certain ethnic groups are more likely to not put effort in at work.

FYI, never been asked for a bank statement... I work in the financial services industry. However they have other tests, like polygraphs and investigations but never a bank statement. As far as I know, a bank statement is considered very confidential info at work, and if I am found to be in possession of a client's bank statement I am automatically in serious trouble, suspension, hearings etc..

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Just give them a statement of your new mostly blank bank account.

"Sir, we need your old bank statements"

"Well, FNB stopped e-mailing them out a while ago, and now that I have closed my bank account with them I cannot get them, and I never downloaded them from the website"

GhostSixFour

Mafia Addict
i've been asked for a bank statement as proof banking - but FNB allows you to download a letter that does this. 3 months bank statement? Nope. Never. I've worked for some big global brands as well in case that helps.

On a sidenote, never gotten the point of asking for proof of banking, like I'm gonna give them the wrong details to pay my salary into...

Jimmy Neutron

The company in question is SAB, the holding company being AB Inbev from Belgium Sir.

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
The company in question is SAB, the holding company being AB Inbev from Belgium Sir.

Send me your banking details and I'll deposit R50, with deposit reference Prostitution services.

Then wait to see if they ask you about any side employment that may interfere with your duties.

RonSwanson

Executive Member
Does the role in question require a high level of trust? What exactly are they hoping to see in your bank statements?
You need to ask them this question, it's very reasonable.

Crowley

Executive Member
Is the job they are offering in the financial departments?

I had a friend who is an accountant and she was basically fired from her job because she was married in community of property and her husband was under debt review. It seems these financial types are pretty strict on how you handle your own money before they entrust their money to you.