Is it illegal to for me cut the grass on the street side (outside the boundary fence) of a neighbor?

rgasparotto

Hi everybody.

Does anyone know if it’s illegal to cut the grass on the street (outside the boundary fence) of a neighbor? I have a neighbor that refuses to cut it and it looks terrible. He has historically shouted at people who have tried to cut the river side area that is also outside his property.

thanks in advance
Robert

killerbyte

Expert Member
Hi everybody.

Does anyone know if it’s illegal to cut the grass on the street (outside the boundary fence) of a neighbor? I have a neighbor that refuses to cut it and it looks terrible. He has historically shouted at people who have tried to cut the river side area that is also outside his property.

thanks in advance
Robert
Go out in the middle of the night and spray it all with weed killer... If he won't cut his grass then nuke it from orbit.

rgasparotto

Thanks all. The only reason I ask is that my neighbor is a crotchety old (possibly psychopathic) lawyer ;)

Lupus

Honorary Master
Well the council won't do it, so you or him would need to do it.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Municipalities are the ones who have the legal obligation to cut grass on pavements. But we all know what that means these days.
Most people try and keep their pavements neat. I would just stick to the pavement in front of your property.
My one neighbour and I have an unwritten informal deal going. If I cut the pavement and his in need of a cut I do it and vice versa. Works great when either of us is away from home.

Smokey mcpot

Expert Member
I have a similar problem and end up cleaning in front of both houses on either side of my place. Luckily my neighbors are more than happy when I have my guys clean up.

Kodi

Hi everybody.

thanks in advance
Robert
Who is demanding that he must cut it?

Secondly, strictly speaking, you asking if you have the right to perform maintenance on infrastructure that doesn't belong to you. Answer is no.

Be a good neighbour and just learn to live with it. In all probability the neighbour is making a statement to the council out of principle. If you cut that piece of overgrown lawn, then you aiding a lazy/corrupt council who are paid to, and should be, doing that work.

my 2 cents....

supersunbird

Honorary Master

Secondly, strictly speaking, you asking if you have the right to perform maintenance on infrastructure that doesn't belong to you. Answer is no.

Be a good neighbour and just learn to live with it. In all probability the neighbour is making a statement to the council out of principle. If you cut that piece of overgrown lawn, then you aiding a lazy/corrupt council who are paid to, and should be, doing that work.

my 2 cents....

So you do not mow or have someone mow your own sidewalk lawn? Else you are doing just what you stated.

Everyones-a-Wally

Honorary Master
Have you tried asking him if he minds you cutting the lawn on the pavement outside his house? He might say cool - do it!
Don't let his attitude stop you being a nice neighbour. He might soften up too.

Kodi

So you do not mow or have someone mow your own sidewalk lawn? Else you are doing just what you stated.
Strictly speaking yes. He's asking if it's illegal. Therefore, If it's legal, then there must exist a right. That right don't exist.

I know it's only grass. Next we will be asking if it's ok to repaint stop signs or clean electricity boxes and and and..... You understand what I mean.

rgasparotto

my 2 cents....
I’m trying to sell my house, and his jungle next door is going to have a negative impact on potential buyers. I can’t wait for the council to eventually fix this. Also, the entire neighborhood barring him makes sure their sidewalks look respectable

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Strictly speaking yes. He's asking if it's illegal. Therefore, If it's legal, then there must exist a right. That right don't exist.

I know it's only grass. Next we will be asking if it's ok to repaint stop signs or clean electricity boxes and and and..... You understand what I mean.

Wrong, if there is no law against something, it is legal. Or else you will need to point me to the right to eat food off a plate with a fork and knife, if you can't, then it means it's illegal. See, that's not logical.

upup

Executive Member
Grass at the river. is there a reason he don't want you to cut it. You may always read your bylaws. I was spraying bugs on the trees in our street, some people thank me for it, but one phone the security, Maybe if I talked to her, things would have been fine.

Kodi

Wrong, if there is no law against something, it is legal. Or else you will need to point me to the right to eat food off a plate with a fork and knife, if you can't, then it means it's illegal. See, that's not logical.
Lol. Pray tell, upon which principle of law do you rely on that gives you the right to undertake maintenance on property that does not belong to you?

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Lol. Pray tell, upon which principle of law do you rely on that gives you the right to undertake maintenance on property that does not belong to you?

The same one you use to have your own sidewalk mowed.

Quote the law making it illegal to mow a sidewalk lawn?