Is it illegal to share Windows 7 RC1?

Schwartz

Expert Member
Hi guys,
I am setting up a few PC's for a friend of mine... I have to put some OS on as I need to install appropriate drivers n what not. But he is very "legal" so does not like any pirated goods. So I told him I would give him Windows 7 RC1 which AFAIK is Free and completely legal to share?
I told him this but he refuses to believe this so do you guys know if it is legal or not? And could you maybe provide a link to any source that backs it up he is very paranoid.

bdt

Executive Member
Can't help you with verification but it *IS* a public beta, the very essence of which is to have people grab-and-test it. Which you can't very well do if it's not being shared. :cool: But don't forget the gotcha that is the sometime-in-March bi-hourly shutdown and June stop-working which are in place to *ahem* 'encourage' you to stump up for the OS to which you (will have) become accustomed that will, apparently by the end of this year, have been released. HTH

Or you could look at this way: there's a very low (public at least) :rolleyes: tolerance/advocacy for software 'piracy' (actually copyright/licence infringement, but we're not going into that now) on this forum but the same voices that bay for blood at the mere mention of 'pirating' something are the same ones who'll cheerfully burn AND, often enough, SEND you a DVD ..at their cost. :cool:

Last edited:

Drake2007

Expert Member
A few PC's, so somewhere down the line you're going to have a major hassle on your hands when it comes to licensing them.

GeeWhiZ

Not sure but if it's made availble for everyone Im sure there would not be a problem.

Juggy

Executive Member
Or you could look at this way: there's a very low (public at least) :rolleyes: tolerance/advocacy for software 'piracy' (actually copyright/licence infringement, but we're not going into that now) on this forum but the same voices that bay for blood at the mere mention of 'pirating' something are the same ones who'll cheerfully burn AND, often enough, SEND you a DVD ..at their cost. :cool:

You referring to me by any chance?

Big Kriss

How can the Beta be illegal ? and thanks Juggy, without you Id still be ignorant about Win 7..

Schwartz

Expert Member
That is what I was thinking. It **IS FREE** to the WHOLE public and there are unlimited product keys available from Microsoft so I do not see the problem!
Maybe a link with proof would be nice
Thanks

SirFooK'nG

Executive Member
Anyone can download it from Microsoft, so It is fine to install it on as many PC's as you want.

walterl

Expert Member
It's free and Microsoft said that it will remain so until June/July 2010

walterl

Expert Member
Some info from the site:

You don't need to rush to get the RC. The RC will be available at least through July 2009 and we're not limiting the number of product keys, so you have plenty of time.

Watch the calendar. The RC will expire on June 1, 2010. Starting on March 1, 2010, your PC will begin shutting down every two hours. Windows will notify you two weeks before the bi-hourly shutdowns start. To avoid interruption, you’ll need to install a non-expired version of Windows before March 1, 2010. You’ll also need to install the programs and data that you want to use. (Learn more about installing Windows.)

cfvh600

Expert Member
wish I could get a copy. :) I got the key from the ms website but my cap is too small for the download. Anyone want to help me out? I will pay for a disc and shipping or collect in Pta or the East Rand

gregmcc

Honorary Master
It is free, but afaik its illegal to distribute. You need to download it from the MS site? (I could be wrong though)

Arthur

Honorary Master
The code is of course copyrighted, so it should be used in accordance with the EULA.

The cleanest is to register your friend on the MSFT website for an RC download, get the product key(s) for him, and then use your already-downloaded code to install using the keys obtained for him.

bdt

Executive Member
You referring to me by any chance?
Specifically? No, not so much but, IIRC, your stand amongst the anti-infringement crowd. But hey, if the shoe (about rabid baying) fits... ;)

Drake2007

Expert Member
I don't see what the problem is, Your friend has high morals and wants legal software on his PC's. I wouldn't call it paranoia at all. Just do the right thing intead of creating a problem for him later on down the road.

DjStyles

Expert Member
Any Capetonians here that can arrange a copy of a Win7 RC disk for me please. I have the code, just not the bandwidth to download it.

proximiti99

Expert Member
Hi guys,
I am setting up a few PC's for a friend of mine... I have to put some OS on as I need to install appropriate drivers n what not. But he is very "legal" so does not like any pirated goods. So I told him I would give him Windows 7 RC1 which AFAIK is Free and completely legal to share?
I told him this but he refuses to believe this so do you guys know if it is legal or not? And could you maybe provide a link to any source that backs it up he is very paranoid.

Lol at this :eek: Strange dude...