Is it illegal to share Windows 7 RC1?

Juggy

Executive Member
Specifically? No, not so much but, IIRC, your stand amongst the anti-infringement crowd. But hey, if the shoe (about rabid baying) fits... ;)

Lol, I'm not for or against piracy. I do believe that if the vendors made their software more affordable more people would be legal.

ponder

Honorary Master
It is free, but afaik its illegal to distribute. You need to download it from the MS site? (I could be wrong though)

You are correct. Only MS has the rights to distribute the product.

It's the same as downloading a uncracked XP iso image from a site other than MS and then using your own valid key. Not allowed to be done as MS has the sole distribution rights (and their partners) so you have to get it through official channels.

Arthur

Honorary Master
I do believe that if the vendors made their software more affordable more people would be legal.
Same with cars? TVs? Driving licences? Passports? Music?

Most software thieves are not making rational price-benefit judgments.

/offtopic

Juggy

Executive Member
I really would love to see you make a pirate copy of a car and that it works as well as the original.

Not really comparable but nice try.

Same with cars? TVs? Driving licences? Passports? Music?

Most software thieves are not making rational price-benefit judgments.

/offtopic

KamikazeHamster

I installed Windows 7 64-bit, RC1 last night. It does ask you for a CD key. but since I didn't have one, I left it blank. It went on without issue and I used it for a few hours without it asking for a CD-Key or nagging etc.

Apparently it will expire in June/July 2010 (as said in previous posts) and will do automatic shut downs every 2 hours. I noticed in the install that it gives you the option of doing a new install or upgrading over an existing copy. Hopefully when the final release is out, it shouldn't be a hassle to upgrade over RC1 without needing to format.

Arthur

Honorary Master
I really would love to see you make a pirate copy of a car and that it works as well as the original.

Not really comparable but nice try.
I beg your pardon, but it is you that is not staying on key. The comparison is entirely apt -- it's you that's avoiding the issue by refusing to look at piracy squarely in the face and see it for what it is: theft.

The ethical and legal issue is not the ease of copying (that's just a technological detail) but rather the reasons suggested above as to why people make unauthorised use of other people's property. The argument "if it was cheaper people would pirate less" does not refer to the ease of copying per se but rather to the pricing; the entire argument says that if the price were lower people would be more honest and pirate less.

That of course is a facile argument. So the comparison to other unauthorised uses of expensive items is entirely ad rem.

Time to straighten out your thinking in order to straighten out your ethics.

Last edited:

Juggy

Executive Member
I beg your pardon, but it is you that is not staying on key. The comparison is entirely apt -- it's you that's avoiding the issue by refusing to look at piracy squarely in the face and see it for what it is: theft.

The ethical and legal issue is not the ease of copying (that's just a technological detail) but rather the reasons suggested above as to why people make unauthorised use of other people's property. The argument "if it was cheaper people would pirate less" does not refer to the ease of copying per se but rather to the pricing; the entire argument says that if the price were lower people would be more honest and pirate less.

That of course is a facile argument. So the comparison to other unauthorised uses of expensive items is entirely ad rem.

Time to straighten out your thinking in order to straighten out your ethics.

Not even going to bother answering this as you have no idea who I am or what I stand for.

Last edited:

Arthur

Honorary Master
Not even going to bother answering this as you have no idea who I am or what I stand for.
Of course not. But I can only go on the arguments you presented above. That is all I'm responding to.

/offtopic

Schwartz

Expert Member
Any Capetonians here that can arrange a copy of a Win7 RC disk for me please. I have the code, just not the bandwidth to download it.

I have a copy .. PM me for one :)
I am gonna leave them OS free!
Thanks guys