Is it possible for a non-South African completing a computer science degree at a South African University to apply for internships?

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Depends on the internships fine print. If they don't explicitly exclude foreign born students then yes.

I've had friends from neighbouring countries who completed their in service training in South Africa. They had a little more trouble finding the ist than us locals however they did complete their studies. Perhaps i could ask them how they did it you'd like me to ask..

cguy

Expert Member
I did a little digging. I expect that internships are considered normal work, so you should be allowed, but only to a max of 20 hours a week.

Student visas in South Africa allow students to work while pursuing their studies. However, international students may only work up to a maximum 20 hours per week. The student can work part time till the expiry of the student visa and not after.
From: https://www.educations.com/study-guides/africa/study-in-south-africa/student-visa-6856

krycor

Honorary Master
I think you need to apply for a work visa which is often granted as studying in SA counts in favor? Not sure on short skills list vs cos degree tho