Is it possible to force 5G CPE to connect to a different tower?

Ziwa83

Good morning, I would like to know if it is possible to force the 5G CPE to a different tower?
I recently have moved houses, and at my current place, I can see 2 towers from my balcony, one to the west and the other to the north, but for some reason the CPE is latching on to the tower at the blue dot.

Screen-Shot-2020-06-01-at-09.03.21.jpg

Tower to the west below
Tower-to-the-west.jpg

North tower

Tower-to-the-north.jpg

I have locked it to 5G n78 and antenna to 6 which gives me around 55Mbps down. 5G disappears when I move the tower router around the house, however my main question is it possible to force the router to connect to a different tower?

Screen Shot 2020-06-01 at 09.20.38.png

ghostim

Expert Member
What is that link again rain optimiser again ? I keep on forgetting

ghostim

Expert Member
Ok, the point I want to make not all towers you can see is RAIN 5G. The white circles are the wind directions and not always 5G towers. Here is my 5G tower(RAIN) and I do connect to a different tower for 4G(VODACOM). Your best best bet is to get on the roof and test there if you pick up other RAIN 5G towers.

1591003345496.png

Ziwa83

Ok, the point I want to make not all towers you can see is RAIN 5G. The white circles are the wind directions and not always 5G towers. Here is my 5G tower(RAIN) and I do connect to a different tower for 4G(VODACOM). Your best best bet is to get on the roof and test there if you pick up other RAIN 5G towers.

View attachment 849301

Hi. Thank you, makes a lot of sense actually. Blue is where 5G is located, I have never thought of it like that. I moved the router to the side closer to my blue dot, the signal stats were very good but speeds didn't even reach 60Mbps. I guess I need to make time and climb up the roof

ghostim

Expert Member
Hi. Thank you, makes a lot of sense actually. Blue is where 5G is located, I have never thought of it like that. I moved the router to the side closer to my blue dot, the signal stats were very good but speeds didn't even reach 60Mbps. I guess I need to make time and climb up the roof
Pleasure, and reset the CPE to defaults before you get onto the roof.

PAYBACK

Expert Member
Have same issues. My coverage was borderline and I was getting around 350-450 with router latching to different towers around area. New tower popped up about 800m away from me and speed dropped to around 150Mbps. Trying to de-latch from this bloody tower somehow.

ghostim

Expert Member
Just remember the speed is not constant. This my up and downspeed for the past 2 days tested every 15 minutes to the JHB RAIN speedtest server:
1591074841568.png

namzsteve

Expert Member
No it's not possible to force it to latch to a different tower. Best bet is to use the rain debug thingy, and move the cpe in the general direction of the tower its latching to. I'm the few lucky ones that has direct line of sight to the tower on the blue dot.

Another thing is how are you connecting to the router?
Via ethernet, make sure your ethernet port is not limited to 100Mbps (10/100 I believe)
Via WiFi, make sure your connected to the 5Ghz broadcast and you are not too far from the router, that way you'll actually get a good representation of the speed. I didn't know this until I read it here somewhere, 2.4Ghz WiFi wouldn't even reach 100Mbps with a really low latency, averaging 10ms. I switched to 5Ghz and easily hit over 400Mbps but latency is well over 25ms at most times. Also I believe all the lights don't have to be green to get good speeds, my 5G light is not even a solid green haha, 4G is a solid green. Just do as best as you can do to get a lower signal intensity, at -83 dBm, OP should be getting good down speeds.