Is it really racism if it is true

Urist

Expert Member
If you make assumptions about individuals based on a group they didn't choose to be in. Whatever the group is, racism, sexism, all just bigotry.

Prawnapple

Like @pinball wizard pointed out. Like with the Stellenbosch ordeal. The investigation is not racist and like @AlmightyBender mentioned, it's not racist unless used in a derogatory sense.

"Purple people are thieves 90% of the time" - not racist
"Purple people are thieves 90% of the time and thus they are inferior to my race and their lives are inherently worth less than mine and they deserve any oppression we inflict on them" - racist

Like @pinball wizard pointed out. Like with the Stellenbosch ordeal. The investigation is not racist and like @AlmightyBender mentioned, it's not racist unless used in a derogatory sense.
My point is more subtle. Lets take that study. My judgement and opinion is that it came from a place of an assumption that coloured people are inferior and tried to show evidence of that. That is just full on racism. Like, what would the practical application of that study be? Discrimination of coloured woman at face value is the only conclusion.

t_girl

You really think that they thought it over ?
Yes I do. The things you deem a priority are probably not a priority to them, and vice versa. The party they voted for represents what they feel is important. Everyone I've talked to has had a reason for voting for the party they did.

Prawnapple

My judgement and opinion is that it came from a place of an assumption that coloured people are inferior and tried to show evidence of that. That is just full on racism. Like, what would the practical application of that study be? Discrimination of coloured woman at face value is the only conclusion.
You don't know that. Nobody can know the true intent of the scientists doing the study. For all we know, it was just coloured people doing the study? Regardless. This same test can and most likely will be done for every nomination and denominations of people. Coloured, white, black, indian, asian, men, woman etc etc. It's science. It's not trying to discriminate based on race. In my opinion, it's about finding identifiers. All of this is useful info that will be collected, whether now or eventually.

PS: When our robot overlords eventually take over, I'm sure that they will assimilate this info.

Bobbin

Executive Member
Majority of men can't live without their sports on TV - Reasonable statement, possibly supported by stats but definitely supported by perception.

Men can't live without their sports on TV - Completely false and unsupported if even one man doesn't care for sports on TV.
I guess I'm a real minority then :D Honestly couldn't give AF about sports. /awaits generalization

garp

Executive Member
You have to consider motive/intention, IMHO. Regardless of whether the statistic is true or not, if your motive for repeating a statistic is only to demonstrate your perceived superiority then it is probably racist. On the other hand, if your motive stems from a genuine desire to discuss concepts and find solutions, then it's not racist.

For example, I might say that certain ethnic groups have measurably different average IQ's - if my motive is only to demonstrate my group's relative superiority and use that as an argument to discriminate against the other group, then that is racist. Or I could genuinely desire to have an open discussion around this because I can see that it is causing social issues and I would like to explore ways that the situation can be improved. The problem is that intention is not obvious and motive is hard to prove so it is very easy to accuse me of having the wrong motive and shut me down.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
You really think that they thought it over ?
Yes. We've had this very discussion many times before. You voted for VF+ based on a set of criteria that may may not have been influenced by contact with them. It's the same same for people who who vote ANC/DA.

rietrot

Honorary Master
Stereotypes/generalisation are useful defence mechanism even if just 20% of purple people are really thieves it won't be racist to say that as 20%. Two in every ten is extremely high. High enough not to trust any purple person, because you just don't know which two of the ten are the thieves.

Any half intelligent purple person will understand that crime is a real issue and his fellow purple people are creating this stereotype, whilst at the same time realising the he/she is the exception to the rule.

gamer16

Executive Member
For as long as we have one color or group of people that is more shitt than the other, there will always be racism.

kolaval

Expert Member
Is racism not more "culture-ism"?
Whereby we attribute the tendencies of a culture to an individual that is part of that culture?
E.g Afrikaners like rugby.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
I see MyBroadband deleted the original thread that gave rise to this one: a failed "Friday Thread". Anyway, you guys are welcome to carry on discussing this but the thread was created to show somebody how to create a Friday thread.

WHY MyBroadband chose to delete the other one is a mystery... but expected :rolleyes:

If it matters, my answer to my question:

1. The truth ****ing hurts
2. What's your motive for making a racist but truthful statement like this though? Are you doing it as part of a movement/campaign to try solve the problem or are you just posting it because sowing discord amongst people is a favourite pastime of yours?

Lee blikke maak die meeste geraas...

Last edited: