Is it safe to keep large amounts of money in your savings account?

InternetSwag

Expert Member
Or do you store it elsewhere?

I pulled out a lot of my crypto recently which is basically all my life savings and it's just been chilling in my savings account and I'm a bit worried about back and forth in and out of altcoin/luno with large amounts of money.

Granted I do have daily limits etc. But how safe is it to just keep it in your account?

Or do ya'll have separate accounts for that?

zerocool2009

Executive Member

I pulled out a lot of my crypto recently which is basically all my life savings and it's just been chilling in my savings account and I'm a bit worried about back and forth in and out of altcoin/luno with large amounts of money.

Granted I do have daily limits etc. But how safe is it to just keep it in your account?

Savings are savings! Just remember the tax caps on “free interest”. But you aint to worry as you made millions with crypto right!

LetsDance

He is thinking of Cyprus where the state fails. I also worry about that and EMP bombs.

Snyper564

Executive Member

its fine, been moving decent amounts through my accounts related to crypto for years... Just pay your tax due and you fine. Bank might query SOF just tell them crypto etc

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Store it elsewhere of course, your limits won't help you if your account is somehow compromised, notice accounts are very helpful in this regard because there is no way to just take the money out.

Snyper564

Executive Member
Store it elsewhere of course, your limits won't help you if your account is somehow compromised, notice accounts are very helpful in this regard because there is no way to just take the money out.
Alternatively if you have a flexi bond dump it in there, another thing I do to eliminate as much interest as possible.

Flexi bond is actually the best spot pull out as and when you need the funds.

Last edited:

Ghost64

Expert Member
Is it a savings account with a debit card and directly transactional?
Depends on the amount. More than R200k would be too much, move the bulk of it.

das Toktokken

Honorary Master
Alternatively if you have a flexi bond dump it in there, another thing I do to eliminate as much interest as possible.

Flexi bond is actually the best spot pull out as and when you need the funds.
I've been doing this. Definitely a good option to save interest.

itareanlnotani

Expert Member
Extremely unsafe to leave it in a bank account here. Stick it oversea's, and convert to another currency.

Aghori

Honorary Master

I bought physical gold/silver/platinum. I managed to get these for R100k each, after negotiations because of the large quantity that I ordered.

You can get these for around R18k per kilogram if you negotiate:

richjdavies

Expert Member
Just leave it in your VBS Mutual savings account... Hang on!

Yes its crazy, any where else with a well developed financial system has DEPOSIT gaurantees... No such thing in SA!
Put it in the US or UK or EU and you'd have the first R2m or so guaranteed (by other banks/state) if the bank failed.