Is it standard procedure that brake-pads are excluded from an extended service plan?

Cray

Honorary Master
Audi has a maintenance plan or service plan option!

Maintenance plan: everything except fuel and tyres covered.

Service plan: only items related to services are covered - brake pads would be excluded from this.
Didn't know that, assumed the maintenance plan was standard.

Cr4ig

Honorary Master
That is precisely why extended service plans are just a scam!

My wife paid R10k for a bolt on service plan when she bought her car in 2016, that service plan paid for a 8 services, the last one costing R9800 odd. I would guess we got way more than our moneys worth.

vigras rojara

Expert Member
covered by BMW's motorplan, I should know, I drove mine like I stole it all the time, went through brake-pads like toiletpaper ... luckily the thing had sensors to detect early wear and I had multiple additional sets of brake-pads replaced under motorplan in between normal service intervals

also, to whoever bought the thing after I traded it in: my condolences and apologies

Agreed, had a similar experience with BMW.

Also had a different brand that was also under a full maintenance plan, but they got upset with me as new brake pads were required every 20k kms....

Wear is obviously a lot to do with driving style, but also weight and power of car. Softer compound for more powerful cars so quicker wear - much the same as tyres.

6spdmanual

Expert Member
covered by BMW's motorplan, I should know, I drove mine like I stole it all the time, went through brake-pads like toiletpaper ... luckily the thing had sensors to detect early wear and I had multiple additional sets of brake-pads replaced under motorplan in between normal service intervals

also, to whoever bought the thing after I traded it in: my condolences and apologies
What BMW was this?

InternetLuddite

Expert Member
So would OP void his service plan or warranty if he chooses to replace his brake pads privately?
Not anymore according to the new legislation. In any case, I would tell those guys to F off with those prices.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
I commute about 60 km's return, and spend about 50 minutes in my car each day – at least, that was how it used to be, prior to the whole WFH thing.
Bought my Corolla D4D in July 2018 – and have only now put 35k on the clock.

Took out an extended service plan at time of purchase, which extends cover from 90k to 150,000 km.
At last service, was told rear brake pads need replacing in the next 10,000 km's or so.
Was told this would be +/- R5k – I queried on whether or not this was covered by the ESP – was informed it was not.

Checked the T&Cs, and sure enough – brake pads aren't listed under covered items. Consumables, all the various filters, cambelt(?) adjustment and maintenance is in.

I was surprised to hear brake pads were not included – pretty much took out the ESP under the impression that I wouldn't need to pay for anything in terms of "standard" maintenance until 150k on the clock.
Obviously my fault for not checking what was included (as opposed to relying on a discussion around it) – but still curious: Is it "normal" to exclude brake-pads from an ESP?
What do other manufacturers do? Brake pads are then not a "standard" consumable, when it comes to Service Plans, presumably?

The rear brakes most likely don't even need to be touched, they are just fleecing you, go ask at a tyre and brake place, even if they say it needs to be done it will be much cheaper.

Leo_

It seems that some drivers are exceptionally hard on brakes, literally and figuratively. I always get in excess of 100 000km on a set, while some of my colleagues are averaging at less than 50 000km on a set. My previous car was a Hyundai Elantra 1.8 and at the last service (105 000km) before I traded it in I was told it should be done at the next service in 15 000km. Needing brake pads replaced at only 35 000km is something I have never needed to do.

Brake wear on 50,000km city driving will be vastly different than 50,000km on the highway.

Splinter

Honorary Master
I have never seen a service plan that includes wear and tear items such as brake pads.

Reminds me that I need to take another look at my brake pads, the wear indicator has been going off for nearly 18 months now.

BMW Motorplan.

nazmo

Expert Member
i had an A1, full 5 year maintenance plan. everything covered except fuel and tires. polo gti. paid R8k for 5 yr maintenance plan, same as audi. currently have a tiguan. R8k at purchase for full 5 yr maintainence plan.
I also have a renault RS Trophy 220. service plan. brakes. pads. disks. wipers... anything that can wear. NOT covered. plugs, oil etc... are covered. I asked renault to quote on a full plan and they gave me a laughable figure. Hasnt been that bad. my only service i actually coughed up cash was 4yr/60 000kms front disks/pads (R5k. not bad for an RS) and accesories belt (3k).

Tsepz_GP

Expert Member
Yeah, my renault maintenance plan included all consumables except fuel and tyres.

That's flippen great from Renault.
This is pretty typical on a Maintenance Plan, nothing special by Renault.

I moved my Clio 4 TCe to an Extended Service Plan after the Maintenance Plan ran out and yes, in the service plan wear and tear are not covered (such as brakes), but I found a place that does brakes at great prices and I always try have cash saved up for anything else like wiper blades or battery, haven't had to replace either yet though, car still only at 46000km so I just take it in for the usual oils and filters and then I get the brakes done myself separately.

wireddreams

I commute about 60 km's return, and spend about 50 minutes in my car each day – at least, that was how it used to be, prior to the whole WFH thing.
Bought my Corolla D4D in July 2018 – and have only now put 35k on the clock.

Took out an extended service plan at time of purchase, which extends cover from 90k to 150,000 km.
At last service, was told rear brake pads need replacing in the next 10,000 km's or so.
Was told this would be +/- R5k – I queried on whether or not this was covered by the ESP – was informed it was not.

Checked the T&Cs, and sure enough – brake pads aren't listed under covered items. Consumables, all the various filters, cambelt(?) adjustment and maintenance is in.

I was surprised to hear brake pads were not included – pretty much took out the ESP under the impression that I wouldn't need to pay for anything in terms of "standard" maintenance until 150k on the clock.
Obviously my fault for not checking what was included (as opposed to relying on a discussion around it) – but still curious: Is it "normal" to exclude brake-pads from an ESP?
What do other manufacturers do? Brake pads are then not a "standard" consumable, when it comes to Service Plans, presumably?
Perhaps you should have taken the car to a proper brake service garage... You were swindled...

Cassady

Expert Member
Thanks all – to be clear, this was an indication from Toyota what the replacement costs would be were I to replace them after the 10,000 km – which is what they were suggesting was necessary.

A few points, given how much knowledge is here (sincerely thankful for all who responded, I knew very little of any of this):

A.) IIRC, I was not told about the difference between a "service-plan" and a "maintenance plan" – which I presume Toyota also has? I do recall explaining I don't want to have to fork out each time I am taking the car in – so they probably just added the service plan upfront (maybe I baulked at the added cost of a maintenance plan, I honestly cannot remember).

B.) I vaguely remember reading a year or 2 back about new CPA provisions(?) that confirmed servicing a car "in-plan" at non-Toyota dealership would not void anything – anyone know anything about this? I could call Toyota, but I expect I know what their version of events would be... Good to know that I at least was right about R5k for brake-pads being excessive.

C.) I will be sure to have them checked somewhere else before just agreeing to have Toyota replace them. I too suspect that they are all to prepared to up the price of parts/labour on non-covered items, to offset some of their perceived costs etc.

Thanks again!