• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • New Two-Day Giveaway - Enter Here

Is it still possible to get a prepaid meter from Tshwane?

Matthysdt

I want to install prepaid meters at units that I'm renting out, but I'm unable to determine if the city still provides this?

I've contacted three different sub-metering companies who tell me that the municipal-direct meters are no longer available and that sub-metering is my only option. I must take into account their bias though. I also don't like their business model since it means that my tenants will be paying 10% (sometimes even 14%) more for electricity, which is a massive margin and I'm pretty sure this is illegal.

stricken

Expert Member
They do smart meters. Expensive to install, but you can track usage in real-time on the web and they remotely connect/disconnect.

Billy

Expert Member
I want to install prepaid meters at units that I'm renting out, but I'm unable to determine if the city still provides this?

I've contacted three different sub-metering companies who tell me that the municipal-direct meters are no longer available and that sub-metering is my only option. I must take into account their bias though. I also don't like their business model since it means that my tenants will be paying 10% (sometimes even 14%) more for electricity, which is a massive margin and I'm pretty sure this is illegal.
The meter contract for Tshwane has been suspended subject to legal challenges.

It is illegal to charge more than the gazetted rate for electricity.