Is it too late for BlackBerry smartphones?

Kevin Lancaster

MyBroadband Editor
BlackBerry has signed a deal with TCL Communication for it to produce its smartphones in the future.

TCL is the company which built the DTEK50 and DTEK60 for BlackBerry.

The question is: is it too late for BlackBerry smartphones? Would you ever consider buying one in the future?

dugbo1

I don't know what else can be done to smartphones, but they all seem to look almost identical and offer very marginal differences. Another new player, which is what BB would be considering their market share, is a huge risk unless they can bring next level innovation. The phone market is saturated with smartphones all trying to fight for a tiny bit of market share.
So if they can bring something different, then yes. If not, it's too late to win back customers

jax_maxit

I don't know what else can be done to smartphones, but they all seem to look almost identical and offer very marginal differences. Another new player, which is what BB would be considering their market share, is a huge risk unless they can bring next level innovation. The phone market is saturated with smartphones all trying to fight for a tiny bit of market share.
So if they can bring something different, then yes. If not, it's too late to win back customers
Agreed. I would definitely purchase a BB...but one running BB OS (not Android). The biggest reason I don't buy them is the cost. To me personally, a BB is NOT worth the same as an iPhone. Apple can charge a premium fee because they have a fanbase that are willing to spend that much money. Also a year old iPhone keeps its value way better than any modern-day BB (that spend months in the classifieds/For Sale sections).

So pricing is crucial. I will buy a BB if it runs BB OS, costs significantly less than a Galaxy S (pricing shouldn't even be anywhere close to the iPhone) and all the apps I use on a daily basis must be available (I don't mind sideloading them, so long as they work).

Edit: I have owned a Curve, Bold and Z10. Currently am invested in the Android eco system. Only iDevices I've had was an iPod Touch

Last edited:

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Yeah no TLTL, they should've moved on to Android about 6 years ago. Cheap and cheerful Chinese manufacturers are taking over now.