Is it worth buying a "Hi Speed" 24MBDown/3MBUp ADSL Modem?

KevvyGP

I have just installed (well tomorrow to be honest) a 4MB Telkom line for 100% dedicated online FPS gaming (no phone, plug into PS3 and nothing else needed or wanted!). I do not want to compromise with anything when it comes to speeds or ping/latency, so my next search was for the "current best" ISP(because they always fluctuate - almost there, recommendations for best pings are welcome but this is not what the post is for :) )

Anyway, as part of this no-compromise approach, should I be only looking at modem/routers with 24MB/1.5MB+ Down/Upload speed capabilities? Seeing as latency is the issue, I am hesitant to buy one that can only handle 1MB upload. Granted achieving this limit would be a feat, but if Telkom upgrade me to 10MB or whatever happens in the coming years, I want to know I am getting the best speed and pings possible with zero bottlenecks - especially not from my router?

I've seen 24MB/3MB Modem/Routers but they are pricey - is it worth it as a future-proof investment that will ensure my speeds are maxed out (Yes, relative to my Telkom line and ISP of course) from day 1, or is this not really worth worrying about - and if it is, what model would you recommend?

DUDE!@##$%%

Dude, I think you may be going slightly overboard on this...

I had a 4mb/s Telkom line with a Do 4096 Account and believe me, it soared.
The Highest amount of ping i ever recieved on a CoD4 Local server was 50ms Which is extremely low seeing as I practically always got 20- 25ms of ping.

Correct me if im wrong, but dont you HAVE to have a telkom phone line to be able to get ADSL?
If you really want some nice hectic speed i would look into Neotels new fibre optic offers. They have some really fast connections with extremely fast uploads such as 15mbs download and 15mbs upload all on dedicated fibre...

KevvyGP

overboard/thorough=semantics? :p

I have already ordered the Telkom line so that's who I'll be using, and yes, phone line (But no actual handset or pots will be used, if i could plug the RJ11 into the back of the ps3 i would!) + ADSL activation at same time 4MB line. I am plugging into my PS3 not a PC - difference = no local servers :mad: so I will be going international.

If I can get sub 50 pings that would be awesome but my question remains - should I be worried about the modem/router hardware I buy, or should any decent (R600-ish) Billion/Netgear/DLink suitable?

Last edited:

dj_jyno

Expert Member
D-Link DSL-2500U. Cheap, cheerful and ADSL2+ Annex M ready. Won't be much more than R350. Or you can get the DSL-2540U if you don't have a network switch already.

Last edited:

Yuu

Executive Member
I think right now you shouldn't be worried as the fastest adsl upload is upto 1MB on telkom's upto 10MB service should you support it (which i hope :) ).

So for now just get one that supports ADSL2+ and all will be good.

Just to add, i have a non-wireless adsl modem running more than 3 years now and its still working well, it supports any speed upgrades coming our way all the way upto 24MB (Netgear DG834 v1.0)

Last edited:

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
our last router was a netgear. Very nice :)

Had 3 or 4 D-Links before that and they have all died (get to the point where whenever they lose power they reset to default).

Guantanamo

Expert Member
Sorry, but i dont game on a PS3, can someone explain to me how he does not get local servers?

I dont think there is a ps3 network server in SA, Although often its more brand based ie EA have their own server but you automatically registar to use it by using PSN

KevvyGP

Hi all.
Thanks for teh input guys! Appreciated, did some more research and yes I am overthinking. Got me a DGN1000 (24/1MB) with Wireless N which is cool for future devices too. Will rig it all up soon, and 4MB line was installed this morning :D:D:D

PS3 have no ZA servers/hosts :mad: or at least that I know of, they are all hosted o'seas. XBox uses P2P hosting, and PC's, well, you know... That;s why issues like latencies are an issue for me!

PS. I got from openweb a test account for me to guage their service, no strings attached! Excellent service from them. I'll post some tests for the heck of it as well soon.

Blackhand

Common mistake, bandwidth doesn't improve latency and buying a 24mbs router is kind of wasting money unless you want to be ready for when 25mbs arrives in SA 15 years from now (make that 30 years) =)

Once your on DSL and using wired connections, quality of the copper, congestion at the exchange, choice of ISP, choice of game and choice of game server are what will be having the greatest impact on your latency.

who.is.michael

Expert Member
...wait, until the Telkom / ISP network necessitates it. There could be more advanced technology that might be available at that time.

Obelix

Most modems nowadays are ADSL 2+ already. the 2+ standard reached all the way to 24Mb/s. Telkom doesnt yet....If you want to make use of the telkom upgrade to 8Mb/s or better, you will need a 2+ capable modem though.....

who.is.michael

Expert Member
Most modems nowadays are ADSL 2+ already. the 2+ standard reached all the way to 24Mb/s. Telkom doesnt yet....If you want to make use of the telkom upgrade to 8Mb/s or better, you will need a 2+ capable modem though.....

...with a trend chipset!

drukkie

Expert Member
I've never seen sub 200 pings on international servers so good luck getting 50 :)

KevvyGP

Yep that's all understood I am just one of those guys - rather invest now upfront and know that when I get fragged, it's cos I suck and not because I haven't done whatever I can to get my line as fast as humanly (or Telkom-ly) possible!

BTW I installed the ADSL myself. Techie from Telkom wanted to take all day and run cables back and forth up down the complex to some arb point in my kitchen. I asked him to just show me the 2 silly wires in the manhole, activate them, give me my number and sent him on his way. then trenched, drilled and painted a direct line to my AV command post (i.e. the seperate big-@ss box in my garage which runs my home control centre heh heh) and bobs now my uncle, except it was 2am and I wasn't gonna fiddle more to get the DGN1000 and FNBConnect tested. Maybe tonight *yawn*. Strange looks from people driving by... :)

KevvyGP

well can you believe that less than 1 week from originally placing my order with Telkom, my old default account has been written off by them to the tune of R900 (not my fault but worth mentioning), my 4MB line is up, installed, serviced and singing along. Tested FNBC last night (after some login issues and a great service consultant who helped), got consistently 3MB down and 500k up, 22 local pings and around 300 to US. Axxess Lite was a bit worse than this, about 10-20% worse in all areas.

Will test other Axxess Pro options as well as OpenWeb. Uncapped prices are really tumbling - I hope Telkom line rentals are decresed soon though - R550/m is a bit hectic still. :sick:

Thanks everyone for your help with this 1 week trek, the info is much appreciated, MyBB is a beacon to other forums out there. :) :)

See you online - CoD:MW2 - KevvyGP (PS3)