Is it worth moving from XP to Windows 7? (performance and responsiveness).

unrealchris

HAve been running Win 7 64 bit for about 2 years and have had no problems with any of my programs not working on 7. Even stuff made for 95 still runs. Speed is beter than XP, but it takes a bit of getting use to.
Other suggestion is Win 8 and I would stay away from it at this stage. The Metro style interface is not that great, and I hear my developer friend from his desk cursing everyday because of Win 8. Just 2C worth

robertwj

I was also hesitant to move to Windows 7 from XP but when i finally made the move i was happy with the performance. If you have a decent computer system with good specs then go for it. You won't be disappointed. Win 7 is a really great Operating System.

Reaper1242

HAve been running Win 7 64 bit for about 2 years and have had no problems with any of my programs not working on 7. Even stuff made for 95 still runs. Speed is beter than XP, but it takes a bit of getting use to.
Other suggestion is Win 8 and I would stay away from it at this stage. The Metro style interface is not that great, and I hear my developer friend from his desk cursing everyday because of Win 8. Just 2C worth

I couldn't agree more about windows 8. It's too touch-centric. Really not very mouse friendly. Although I don't think I'd like it even if I had a touch display.
Again, I'll give it a couple of years to let everyone else work the bugs and kinks out then consider it.

I was also hesitant to move to Windows 7 from XP but when i finally made the move i was happy with the performance. If you have a decent computer system with good specs then go for it. You won't be disappointed. Win 7 is a really great Operating System.

I've been running it now for 9 days and I agree. Very happy with it.

Mr.CookieMonster

Expert Member
Skip windows 7, install Win 8... its the fastest yet.

Isnt Windows 8 in its beta stage still? I installed Windows 8 the other day, played around with it for a week, my hardware drivers (Intel HD 3000), Wi-Fi software, touchpad driver did not install on Windows 8 despite this being fully Windows 7 Compatible.

Reaper1242

Yea, it's still a consumer preview. last I heard the release dates are mid-late 2012. Although I might be wrong on that.

killadoob

Honorary Master
Ignore windows 8 for now, pirate windows 7 and see if you like it and then decide but honestly dude i cannot believe people still use that dog of an OS. Move into the future because xp sucks so bad it's scary. When i see a computer with xp i lose my mind haha.

Reaper1242

For me I stuck with it out of comfort and not wanting to reinstall everything. Although, once I got down to it the reinstall wasn't near as bad as I feared. Especially after I backed up settings for the main programs. That and it gave me a great chance to clear out obsolete programs.
XP had it's issues but use it long enough and you get pretty good at limiting them. But now working with Windows 7 I see huge differences.

But yea, like I said. Comfort and laziness kept me there haha.

And regarding Win8.
Here's my thinking on OS upgrades. It's about the biggest change you can make besides hardware. Wait it out. Let the early adopters work all the crap out and then start considering it.
And I'll be ignoring Win8 for a while. There's still something about the interface I really don't like.