Is Muhammad the false prophet referenced in the bible ?

Grant

Honorary Master
while having lunch today a group of people sat at the table next to me - transpires they were some flavour of christians.
their conversation was pretty pedestrian and humdrum until one stated mohammed is the false prophet.

as far as christians are concerned, god & jesus are a package deal.
as far as muslims are concerned, allah & muhammad are a package deal.

the bible makes warning of the arrival of a false prophet.
muhammad later comes along claiming he is the last prophet.

in terms of christianity, jesus is the son on god
islam rejects this notion, in that jesus is another prophet.

i'm curious as to the perspective of christians here on this matter.
as a christian, do you reject islam's claim that jesus is not the son of god ?

Dave

Honorary Master
while having lunch today a group of people sat at the table next to me - transpires they were some flavour of christians.
their conversation was pretty pedestrian and humdrum until one stated mohammed is the false prophet.

How could he be false if he can ride a big flying donkey? Normal people can’t do that...

RedViking

Nord of the South

in terms of christianity, jesus is the son on god
islam rejects this notion, in that jesus is another prophet.

i'm curious as to the perspective of christians here on this matter.
as a christian, do you reject islam's claim that jesus is not the son of god ?
"as far as christians are concerned, god & jesus are a package deal."

"as a christian, do you reject islam's claim that jesus is not the son of god"

3WA

Expert Member
I've always wondered about this.

Modern day Jews and Christians make judgments about which ancient prophets were legit and which were fake. How? All of them did dodgy things so how do you differentiate?

Muslims are on more rational ground since they have direct instruction that they're to reject anyone after Mohammed. No ambiguity.

Grant

Honorary Master
The new testament talks about many false prophets not just one. Yes.
ok
my next question would be
"who to believe" ?

we have one with lofty claims of being to son of god - with zero evidence
(correct me if i'm wrong here, but of the 3 abrahamic religions, 2 reject the "son of god" notion)
and we have another claiming to be the last prophet.

islam came after christianity and recognizes jesus as a prophet & claims the quran to be the final word of allah / god
christianity however, seems to make little allowance for anyone after jesus and has the "fall-back" option of brandishing anyone after jesus a false prophet.

Last edited:

Nick333

Honorary Master
I've always wondered about this.

Modern day Jews and Christians make judgments about which ancient prophets were legit and which were fake. How? All of them did dodgy things so how do you differentiate?

Muslims are on more rational ground since they have direct instruction that they're to reject anyone after Mohammed. No ambiguity.
Direct instruction by a prophet. :rolleyes:

3WA

Expert Member
Direct instruction by a prophet. :rolleyes:
Yeah, sure.

I never said they were on rational ground, I said they were on *more rational ground*, relative to Christians and Jews. Since these religions rely on direct instructions over human judgement, they can make the case that they have direct instructions.

Christians (and maybe Jews; I don't know their beliefs well) are left to themselves to identify prophets and false prophets, and one false negative or positive could get their eternal souls damned.

Nick333

Honorary Master
Yeah, sure.

I never said they were on rational ground, I said they were on *more rational ground*, relative to Christians and Jews. Since these religions rely on direct instructions over human judgement, they can make the case that they have direct instructions.

Christians (and maybe Jews; I don't know their beliefs well) are left to themselves to identify prophets and false prophets, and one false negative or positive could get their eternal souls damned.
Not really. Prophets don't feature in mainstream Christianity post Christ.

RedViking

Nord of the South
shall i make it a little simpler for you ?
Yes, make it a little simpler for me and drop the sarcasm.

With a bit of paraphrasing you say that Christians believe in God and that the prophet Jesus is the Son of God.

Then you ask if Christians reject the view of Islam that Jesus is not the son of God.

Why would Christians who believe that Jesus is the Son of God accept that Jesus is not the Son of God.

Maybe I don't understand your question.