Is secure parking seen as a "perk" when working at a company?

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
Parking? Perk

Coffee? Well.... I can see where the some companies come from.
We used to get free coffee, milk, sugar.

Now, we have a set budget we are provided and if we are over it, too bad so sad.

Why? People are cnuts and always find a way to abuse something. Making coffee every hour. 5 tea spoons of sugar. More milk than water. That type of thing. It gets expensive.

It's why we as a species cannot have nice things.
Nonsense. Don't blame the species for the immorality of the few.

Also, tsek.

Beyond.Celsus

Expert Member
Thanks guys.

Its a reasonable expectation from the company that you arrive at work at a specific time. So in my mind, if one can afford a car, they should provide a reasonable secure parking spot.

But I get what you guys are saying. Its just the first time in 20 years of work that I have been confronted by this being a perk and not something basic like safe working conditions/coffee.

I guess companies can just do whatever they want and you will have to be happy paying out-of-pocket for any damage and or theft occurring to your personal property while youre at work.
Time management is not your employers responsibility, it's yours.
If you know it takes time to get parking, leave earlier.

That's on you, not the people who pay you to be on time.

garp

Executive Member
Cape Town developers seem to like building offices with 1 bay for every 5 workers they can accommodate. I'm not sure what the ratio is supposed to be but it is consistently way below actual requirements. We actually had to relocate offices recently because the cost of the parking bays started exceeding the office rent...

Steamy Tom

Expert Member
it is probably a perk, as is coffee and whatever else, but imo it is illogical not to provide these if you want happier staff.

zizo911

Executive Member
It's a perk...

Although, not supplying coffee or tea to your staff is just down right cnut IMO! For me personally it would just cement the fact that I'm seen as a robot and I would struggle to find motivation to WANT to go the extra mile for my bosses if this was the case... Maybe it's just a Capetonian thing... That need for coffee throughout the day, lol.
Become a teacher, then you have to buy your own supplies and for the kids as well...

ambroseg1

Honorary Master
I am charged R220 for parking per month and have to bring coffee/tea from home. They do however provide the electricity for my kettle which is also brought from home.

As1974a

Basement and outside parking paid by the company. No charge to us. Here in Sandton landlords charge separately for parking over and above rent, even though the parking is on the property. Seems like the norm now in most areas in the country.

We have the basics and maybe more (rooibos, green tea etc) and a Nescafe machine. These won't go away, especially the strong brewed coffee as the bosses (Foreign)live on it.

envo

Expert Member
Basement and outside parking paid by the company. No charge to us. Here in Sandton landlords charge separately for parking over and above rent, even though the parking is on the property. Seems like the norm now in most areas in the country.

We have the basics and maybe more (rooibos, green tea etc) and a Nescafe machine. These won't go away, especially the strong brewed coffee as the bosses (Foreign)live on it.
Yea, also in the Rosebank/Sandton area. We're moving offices and things like parking seems to be an afterthought for them. And it's not like I can hold them liable for damages to my personal property either.

I had to get used to not having coffee/tea anymore.

I see it like this; A company has you buy your own laptop and peripherals so that you can do your job in an efficient way (because what they have is from the early 2000's and couldn't be bothered to upgrade). But then at the same time, can't assure you that the space you working in is secure enough to have said equipment not damaged or stolen, nor be liable for that when it does occur.

I'm not worried about the time management aspect someone mentioned, that's not my concern (at all), so I can't see why they thought this was the reason I made the post. My concern is mostly surrounding safety/security of a very expensive purchase. Something I'd like to take care of as much as possible.

Otherwise I might as well have just saved myself the money and bought a bicycle as I only stay 12km from work.

Insurance should cover it, but knowing the attitude of the company I work for now, I'm sure time off to handle police/repairing of damages and all the related stress coming from that (not to mention the constant worry about if I'll walk back and not find my car and being screwed for months on end without transport) will have to come out of my annual leave.

Like I said, first time in 20 years I've experienced this.

If companies want competent developers to stay or even be attracted to work there, forget the "google like chill room and events like braais" bullcrap, maybe start with tea/coffee/secure parking "perks" and see how many devs flock to you.... because seriously, if that is the minimal we have to consider for work these days, then I don't see why the industry has a problem finding good devs. All they need is the very most basic "perks"

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
I guess companies can just do whatever they want and you will have to be happy paying out-of-pocket for any damage and or theft occurring to your personal property while youre at work.
Who is supposed to pay for this parking?

If , as you seemingly claim, the company must, where is that money supposed to come from?

Why is it the business' responsibility to protect your car while you are working? You are being absolutely ridiculous. What's next? The company provides you with your free parking, but it is in the sun, so you moan about that too?

As a business owner, I find it fascinating to quite often read on these forums, that the boss/business owner is perceived as a millionaire that treats his/her staff like slaves etc etc.

Contrary to popular belief, this economy has had the same impacts on businesses and their owners as on the "man in the street".

Biscuit1018

Expert Member
I'm just wondering. Someone today said they don't think that "secure parking" is something a company has to provide, and that it is more of a perk. same with basic tea/coffee.

Wondering if anyone can confirm this, and if there was a reasonable expectation of secure parking (and/or coffee/tea) created by the company in an interview, but obviously not stated in the employment contract, if it would be seen as a perk and they can make you park outside in the street if they change their mind about parking instead?
It's most definitely a non-compulsory extra (generally speaking)

I would
1. Politely remind them of the promise made.
2. In your case, it would be a policy that drives it...If other staff get free parking then so be it. If other staff above a certain level get free then so be it.

In CT parking is scarce and often there are limited bays and the non-exec staff get the bays according to length of service.

envo

Expert Member

If , as you seemingly claim, the company must, where is that money supposed to come from?

Why is it the business' responsibility to protect your car while you are working? You are being absolutely ridiculous. What's next? The company provides you with your free parking, but it is in the sun, so you moan about that too?

As a business owner, I find it fascinating to quite often read on these forums, that the boss/business owner is perceived as a millionaire that treats his/her staff like slaves etc etc.

Contrary to popular belief, this economy has had the same impacts on businesses and their owners as on the "man in the street".
At this stage, no payment has been discussed. I'm more than happy to pay if it means I have secure parking. But currently it's "maybe just park at the mall" with no provision made for employees at all.

As a business owner, I would imagine you want happy workers. Not disgruntled workers who would leave you at a drop of the hat. I don't see them or you as millionaires and complaining about it. But not providing something you've been providing for years all of a sudden (with no complaint from management) and as an afterthought of "oh well, I guess you can park over there maybe?" isn't what I would call "management" or "leadership".

You want to turn a profit? Have capable people running your business and not taint it? Provide for them as they provide you with the means of making a living.

If it's an additional cost to me, with the current economic climate, then tell me, so I can make a decision and move on to better prospects, but don't keep me on a line with vague bullshit.

Understand that Mr. Business owner? Or are you too high and mighty for the "people on the ground" and "they should be thankful for a salary/job".

Yes boss. Thank you boss. How would you like to **** me today boss?

Venomous

Honorary Master

Breathe!

People who do not own or manage at the most senior levels find it easy to expect demands to be met without understanding why

envo

Expert Member
It's most definitely a non-compulsory extra (generally speaking)

I would
1. Politely remind them of the promise made.
2. In your case, it would be a policy that drives it...If other staff get free parking then so be it. If other staff above a certain level get free then so be it.

In CT parking is scarce and often there are limited bays and the non-exec staff get the bays according to length of service.
Yep, I've asked for clarity and/or solid policy changes to be communicated. Currently I was the only one in the company of 60 to ask "What about parking?" and management was "Maybe park at the mall across the street? If they have a problem with that, we will approach them". I don't like a passive attitude from management, I like pro-active.

MightyQuinn over there disagrees though. And then he wonders why employees sees business owners as millionaires... because they act high and mighty with no concern to their employees.... much like how millionaires would act. If you quack like a duck, and act like a duck, I will assume you're a duck.

Biscuit1018

Expert Member

Agreed.
I have been in a startup and now my own business.

In the startup there was limited non-reserved parking that was shared by other companies. 1st come 1st serve.
In those days the founders often didnt draw a salary... if there wasn't enough.
Now we (a different we) own the office space with limited bays. Again, if we employed another 5 or 6 people we would run out.

There are companies (bigger ones) trying to nickel and dime employees, but for the most, they are trying to do enough to not lose valuable tech staff. From experience, it is a tough game fighting for budget.
They fight hardest for salary budget and then others. The foreign influence is there. In some countries, parking is the norm. In others not. Trying to make an overseas holding company understand local customs is not easy.

Most owners try very hard to look after staff. Managers of big companies try as well.

What they spend on one thing usually requires sacrifice elsewhere.

Biscuit1018

Expert Member
Yep, I've asked for clarity and/or solid policy changes to be communicated. Currently I was the only one in the company of 60 to ask "What about parking?" and management was "Maybe park at the mall across the street? If they have a problem with that, we will approach them". I don't like a passive attitude from management, I like pro-active.

MightyQuinn over there disagrees though. And then he wonders why employees sees business owners as millionaires... because they act high and mighty with no concern to their employees.... much like how millionaires would act. If you quack like a duck, and act like a duck, I will assume you're a duck.
Its possible you dont always see what the owner goes through to keep things running.
Years ago, in a startup, with over 150 people, we often didn't take a salary for a month or 2.
We always paid salaries. Now, we didnt tell staff that but we did tell them our business progress.

It is possible that owners and managers fail to communicate clearly. Staff are not owed parking and perks but they are owed clear answers.

geezer

Expert Member
My "secure" parking at my place of work, just outside my office, barely 10 meters away . Not visible in the photo, but just below from where this was taken is a CCTV camera watching over my Cannondale.
Fiets.jpg

Reactions: 3WA

doubletrouble

Expert Member
It's a perk...

Although, not supplying coffee or tea to your staff is just down right cnut IMO! For me personally it would just cement the fact that I'm seen as a robot and I would struggle to find motivation to WANT to go the extra mile for my bosses if this was the case... Maybe it's just a Capetonian thing... That need for coffee throughout the day, lol.
what would your opinion be if a government institution gives it employees free coffee?

envo

Expert Member
Its possible you dont always see what the owner goes through to keep things running.
Years ago, in a startup, with over 150 people, we often didn't take a salary for a month or 2.
We always paid salaries. Now, we didnt tell staff that but we did tell them our business progress.

It is possible that owners and managers fail to communicate clearly. Staff are not owed parking and perks but they are owed clear answers.
That's fine, and I've been struggling re: this communication issue for a while now. It's not hard for them to send out an email to say "Hey guys, this is whats happening", but it is becoming more and more of an issue where it seems they can't even make a decision or stick to one, never mind communicating it. I have also suffered the "We can't pay you on this date, your salary will only be in the first week of the new month" thing, but you know what, I was able to plan around it and make sure it didn't affect me being able to provide for my family because they communicated it in advance and thought of how it may impact their employees.