Is sick leave a right?

Acid0

Expert Member
How do people get exposure if they don't do the actual job :rolleyes:? Just reading books is not enough.
No but you will need to sit with a professional to learn what they know and how to use the knowledge what they have.

If I can suggest rather give this over to the HR department and ask them that you want to shadow and let them teach you how to handle the next case.

KingAuthor

No but you will need to sit with a professional to learn what they know and how to use the knowledge what they have.

If I can suggest rather give this over to the HR department and ask them that you want to shadow and let them teach you how to handle the next case.
That's what I am doing, learning while actually doing it then take it to the senior HR to review.

Acid0

Expert Member
That's what I am doing, learning while actually doing it then take it to the senior HR to review.
That is good, but for this instance I would turn the roles around.
Let the senior take this on and show you exactly what to do and what to look for so in other words shadow the senior until you are comfortable to take these cases on.

It is good to ask questions but I would rather take this to the HR dep and not on a tech forum where no one is privvy to what your company procedures and policies are to start with.

Why are you not asking these questions to the senior HR or do you not have that kind relationship with HR.

clickingbuttons

The employee you're trying to get rid of or nail in some way.

Here is a link to your post indicating as such in case you forgot about it:

KingAuthor

The employee you're trying to get rid of or nail in some way.

Here is a link to your post indicating as such in case you forgot about it:

It may seem related, but it's actually not.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
How do people get exposure if they don't do the actual job :rolleyes:? Just reading books is not enough.
They shadow professionals and learn from them.... especially when the stuff they are doing has the potential to cost the company a fair chunk of change, and time.

KingAuthor

They shadow professionals and learn from them.... especially when the stuff they are doing has the potential to cost the company a fair chunk of change, and time.
That's what I am doing.

Its funny how people in this thread just guess what I do at work.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
That's what I am doing.

Its funny how people in this thread just guess what I do at work.
You said you were doing it and then taking it to a senior HR person... as evidenced here in your post

That does not equate to shadowing a professional and learning from them.

The assumption is that you are in HR or a junior in the HR function due to the questions you're asking. If you aren't and you are fscking around in the HR space but your company has an HR division, then I pity your company and the money they are going to shell out to cover the mistakes you make.

yebocan

Honorary Master
You said you were doing it and then taking it to a senior HR person... as evidenced here in your post

That does not equate to shadowing a professional and learning from them.

The assumption is that you are in HR or a junior in the HR function due to the questions you're asking. If you aren't and you are fscking around in the HR space but your company has an HR division, then I pity your company and the money they are going to shell out to cover the mistakes you make.
guess a case of asked and answered ...

The_Mowgs

Honorary Master
Is sick leave a right? Or is it just an entitlement? How do you differentiate between the two?

I once came across someone who told me that sick leave is not a right, so that confused me as I thought employees have a right to sick leave.
Are you a power hungry type of person?

Colin62

Executive Member
Can we all reflect for a moment on the plight of the senior HR person who has to deal with this crap all day, who can’t just put him on ignore and still has to behave professionally?

Hephaestus

Forging
I'm permanent. Was just wondering since a friend is working as a contractor, not sure which type.
If he is on an independent contractor contract, it's no work no pay, but still needs to present a letter.
The other I am aware of is where the contact does allow for sick days and leave days but R/h is less to compensate

signates

Executive Member
Extract from my wife's uk employment contract.

Upto 40 days paid sick leave in any 12 month period and no medical certificates required for being sick for less than 7 consecutive days.

Not sure if this is standard in the UK or just the company she works for. Its not also abused as you might think it would. She's been working there 8 months and only took 1 sick day on that period.

SICKNESS OR INJURY

14.1 We will continue to pay your salary during any unavoidable absence through sickness or
injury up to a maximum of eight weeks in any period of twelve months, less such amounts
as are paid by any state authority pursuant to any social security system.

14.2 If you are absent from work due to sickness or injury for a period which continues for more
than seven days, you must provide us with a medical certificate on the seventh day of
sickness or injury. Thereafter medical certificates must be provided to us on a weekly
basis. You must complete a self-certification form on return to work after any period of
sickness or injury.