Is suicide SUCH a bad thing

Bobbin

Executive Member
I believe that thoughts of suicide is just a survival mechanism gone awry. You view suicide as an escape or favorable action and therefore it becomes a logical choice. You just have to allow your intellect to deal with this rather than your emotions. Use that part of your brain that reasons before action. I'm not trying to imply it is that simple or easy, it is just what I believe and what gets me through the same. This would work for most circumstances. But there may indeed be circumstances where even reason itself clearly favors the out. For those I can only suggest to look at every conceivable option, even try create more options and seize as much control as possible (be aggressive about it) - but I'd hate to be in that position myself :(

KT-B

Honorary Master
A friend told me that in her township, two teens were discovered hanging together this morning. Seems it was a pact suicide. The mother had told her daughter yesterday that she didn't like the boyfriend and didn't want her seeing him. The girl was 18 so it was more a discussion than an instruction. I do feel so sorry for the mother. It seems the boyfriend was making drugs and involved in that side of crime and the mother was just worried about her daughter. Oh the emotional torment she must be going through.

maumau

Honorary Master
A friend told me that in her township, two teens were discovered hanging together this morning. Seems it was a pact suicide. The mother had told her daughter yesterday that she didn't like the boyfriend and didn't want her seeing him. The girl was 18 so it was more a discussion than an instruction. I do feel so sorry for the mother. It seems the boyfriend was making drugs and involved in that side of crime and the mother was just worried about her daughter. Oh the emotional torment she must be going through.
Sad.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Suicide is a great option - especially in South Africa where we have so many people that are struggling to make a living. Instead of resorting to crime just kill yourself. If you are unhappy about the quality of your live then hey, maybe it's not worth living. So stop with the protests and riots and just commit suicide.

I honestly believe it is a wonderful solution.
I have over the last while thought about this often. I think it is just a case of a perfect storm forming. Not going anywhere in my job really, debt laden due to life throwing lemons, love life is nowhere, situation in the country is dismal and I dont really see a future etc. Guess it can just start to feel like life is just one hurdle after the other and the there is no joy in living anymore sometimes. I suppose very many people feel like this at some stage. Others might just have this feeling a lot more or constantly.

So I have often thought if SA for example had a law that enables you to legally and with medical assistance (such as booking yourself in and you get sent off with a morphine drip peacefully for example) end your own life .... would that be something I would do? It is one of those strange thoughts that I guess everyone (not necessarily about suicide) get from time to time where you know you should not be thinking about it .... but you cant help it either.

CT_Biker

I used to think about this just after my parents split, we have all been better of since then, but as people all of were affected by my dads abusive tendencies and alcohol abuse.

Nothing actually feels as it should to be honest. I cannot recall a moment where I was in utter elation or utter depression. I just feel flat and "normal"

I guess I can say that the road to recovery is very long, and some people do choose to try their best and get help or help themselves, other aren't as lucky I guess. I would not say that people who choose to off themselves are weak willed, it is not an easy choice to make or an act to undertake....I always wonder about the series of events that leads up to that choice being made.

@Ockie, would you like a hug?

gamer16

Expert Member
There used to be a time that I though about this option somewhat as life was very appalling, not much has changed since but I seem to have gotten a bit more used to the way things are and the idea that were I am now is up to me too change, no one else will.

I do however not want my relatives to know that I did such a thing or come across me so I always thought I'd go out for a drive and hit either one of those support columns or a big truck at 180, leave a few brake marks so people think it was a accident.

In the meantime learning to shut your mind off from the things that bother you or just flat ignoring them seems to work. I know the issues this will cause later on I don't need a lecture. Also finding things that make you happy, small things in your control, be it a new activity, a person or a hobby helps a lot.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
@Ockie, would you like a hug?
That is very sweet. Nah....I am OK. Just thoughts that has been going through my mind. And as I said .... I think many people have them. Unless that is just a way I am rationalising it in my head to make it seem OK that my mind goes to those places.

CT_Biker

That is very sweet. Nah....I am OK. Just thoughts that has been going through my mind. And as I said .... I think many people have them. Unless that is just a way I am rationalising it in my head to make it seem OK that my mind goes to those places.
It lonely out here man, just wanted to take the edge off

thestaggy

Honorary Master
I'm for legal suicide in the event of loss of quality of life. Old age, disease, injury, why hang around if you can't do the things you love and enjoy? Make other people happy while sitting like a vegetable in your chair asking for help? Nope, not for me.

KT-B

Honorary Master
I'm for legal suicide in the event of loss of quality of life. Old age, disease, injury, why hang around if you can't do the things you love and enjoy? Make other people happy while sitting like a vegetable in your chair asking for help? Nope, not for me.
I agree - I would never want to live like that.

Mimen

o it is a bad idea, it is preventable by going for professional help. I prefer the double barrel approach, a psychologist and psychiatrist. A very good friend of mine stopped taking his medication claing he couldn't afford it. We offered to pay for it and he declined.
His partner found home when home from work, dead on the bed after he popped thirty Dormicum sleeping tablets.

When you commit suicide you're not doing it to yourself, you are doing it to the people you leave behind.

Last edited:

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Why do you assume it is someone that can even afford to see a psychologist or psychiatrist?

My argument remains that people living on the streets, or those that need to resort to crime just to stay alive and the countless people that are unemployed... they should consider suicide. Makes things better for themselves as well as the rest of us.

Mimen

Why do you assume it is someone that can even afford to see a psychologist or psychiatrist?

My argument remains that people living on the streets, or those that need to resort to crime just to stay alive and the countless people that are unemployed... they should consider suicide. Makes things better for themselves as well as the rest of us.
Didn't think of that now did I. You are right, seeing a psychologist and psychiatric is ridiculously expensive. Friend in Johannesburg got some state help and it worked for him. My worry is the platteland. Too many people there needing help. Still. I wish people could go for help as suicide is a very ugly thing. I could afford help. If it wasn't for that I won't be typing this.

maumau

Honorary Master
Didn't think of that now did I. You are right, seeing a psychologist and psychiatric is ridiculously expensive. Friend in Johannesburg got some state help and it worked for him. My worry is the platteland. Too many people there needing help. Still. I wish people could go for help as suicide is a very ugly thing. I could afford help. If it wasn't for that I won't be typing this.
In theory psychologist and psychiatrist are a good idea. Still you're living through misery, taking pills etc.

Agree though, for a young person it's worth a bash.

RedViking

Honorary Master

In theory psychologist and psychiatrist are a good idea. Still you're living through misery, taking pills etc.

Agree though, for a young person it's worth a bash.

The reason why people are on the street and resort to crime is not because they are poor or because they don't have a family. It is usually because they are after some sort of addiction. Most of them have families, they just choose their addiction over their family. Some of them need anything from R400 to R2000 or more A DAY to feed their addiction, therefor crime is the way to get quick money with devastating consequences. Stop with this, suicide is a way out to end a poor life. That is utter rubbish. I know because I had to pick my own drunk father up from the pavement. Thank God he didn't met some of you. To promote suicide as a way out of a difficult time shows nothing but selfishness and complete ignorance.

maumau

Honorary Master
Not promoting it at all. I've lost family members to suicide and agree it causes chaos for those left behind.

On the other hand I've also been close to depressed people and see them suffering. Agree 100% if you can cure the misery that would be first prize.

Awful to hear about your Dad :crying:

Moto Guzzi

Is the balance of your life (negatives, positives, prospects, family, work, enjoyment, worries, health, love and all else) worth it? Is it that great?

I mean none of us asked to be here
I always wondered:
1-How many people committing suicide is on treatment/drugs-?
Drugs has a way of buildup in system and if sequence of intake if forgotton as a result that leads to an increase of intake, it will cause havoc in your head. So how are the practioner sure the patient takes the drugs at prescribed times every 24Hr period/cycle if practioner not physically with the patient 24/7-?
2-How many people committing suicide has no treatment/drugs received-?

I think the difference bewteen the two will be interesting to know.