Is taking science in high school important when wanting to pursue a career in IT?

MAK_950

Hi there. I'm currently in grade 11. My current chosen subjects are: IT, Physical Science and Geography.I had been forced to take Science by my parents as they felt it was an "essential subject" for to do in the future. So over the past year of doing science as a subject I have struggled academically and I have found that I have very little interest in the subject.

Nevertheless I have always been interested in IT and Technology and anything to do with that field (I also tend to do very well in IT). I have been considering pursuing a career in Computer Science either at Wits or a University abroad as a post graduate. I have done some research as to the entry requirements for the course and most Universities require maths and English. Could science be helpful to me then and it would I be making the right choice to drop it for Business studies?

regards,

MAK_950

saor

Honorary Master
A bit off-topic I guess but if you want to explore some of those interests, Khan Academy have some really good (all free) online courses including programming.
Code Academy will let you take the programming a bit further (also free).

MAK_950

Thank you, I usually go on Code Academy during the holidays when I'm trying to practice a new programming language(currently learning Python). But I'll definitely try the Khan Academy courses...

waylander

Expert Member
Is taking science in high school important when wanting to pursue a career in IT?
That depends on which field of IT you want to pursue. It's a very broad subject. Generally, no.

But it's something I would recommend everyone do, because it teaches some fundamentals I feel every matriculant should know.

battletoad

Expert Member
You pretty much only need a good mathematics background (read: great matric final marks for maths).

Your business studies would be useful if you'd want to pursue an IT degree in commerce, example being BCom infosys/comp sc.

That being said, what you do at school is vastly different to what you do at varsity. Just make sure your maths marks are spectacular, and you'll increase your chances to get into any course you prefer.

cguy

Executive Member
On the subject of entrance requirements, I would make sure of the entrance requirements (UCT for example doesn't need it for a BSc, but only if your course is a CS stream, and if you've done IT in high school).

In general, I don't think that it will hurt your academic or professional career. Obviously it means that things like computer game physics, graphics, kinematics, physical simulations, etc., may be harder to learn, but this covers only a small fraction of computing professions out there. I didn't do physics myself (I did biology in high school), and the only case where I think I had difficulty because of it, was in my Applied Maths 2 course on Applied Modelling and Partial Differential Equations - most work here is based on physics, so beware of this if you want to pursue applied maths.

Probably the most important subject to focus on in high school to prepare for CS is maths.

vic777

Expert Member
Probably the most important subject to focus on in high school to prepare for CS is maths.
+1

Maths is very important. The pace is hectic at varsity, your high school maths skills needs to be solid as you won't be able to keep up otherwise. Not only that, its a requirement for computer science major degrees

Grant

Honorary Master
take science

you mat choose to change careers / tertiary education.

maths and science are the important subjects that will get you in to most courses

**you may battle academically due to a crap teacher.
science is interesting and fun - if you have the right teacher.
the wrong teacher will just stand there like a parrot spewing out boring & "useless" information.

Last edited:

Batista

Executive Member
Stick with Science if possible.You have already learnt the majority of science already, so its not like you know nothing.Otherwise drop it and focus on IT.I think I was 13 when I knew I was going to be a programmer.