Is the kodi add on - exodus legal in South Africa?

Julz_a

As far as I understand kodi itself is legal in South Africa. However when using an add on such as exodus does it become illegal? If anyone has specific laws regarding streaming please post.

Dan C

Honorary Master
As far as I understand kodi itself is legal in South Africa. However when using an add on such as exodus does it become illegal? If anyone has specific laws regarding streaming please post.
Yes it's illegal in a sense, as long as you use it for personal consumption it should be fine.

However sharing content with others (uploading for example) , it's a criminal offence.

vinnyza

Some ISP's have issued notices to people using add-ons for "illegal" reasons on Kodi. However this is in the UK as far i know, for now.

Baxteen

Honorary Master
you are talking about a form of modern technology that allows people to watch TV without using DSTV. in a country that still thinks DSTV is the be all and end all?

how will anyone find out about exodus in order to make the call on if it is legal or not.

strictly speaking it is not illegal, provided you only watch from YouTube as a source.
However the other streaming sources are illegal.

Drifter

Honorary Master
And how would the ISP's know which add-ons you loaded on Kodi?

rietrot

Honorary Master
I use it. And I still haven't seen any reasonable argument as to why it is illegal.
As far as I know there weren't any successful case were the police prosecuted a private person for streaming content that might be copy right protected.

Ho3n3r

Honorary Master
No idea whether or not it's legal, but thanks for the info, will try it. ;)

Nick333

Honorary Master
And how would the ISP's know which add-ons you loaded on Kodi?
They can't obviously, but they might be able to hazard a guess based on the sources of the traffic being streamed to your ip which is the real issue rather than what add-ons or apps you might be using to view said streams.

KOPITE

Executive Member
It's illegal when distributing it or any form of financial gain. For personal use it's fine. Overseas laws does not have any jurisdiction about what we do here unless this kuntry decides to change the laws to prosecute the user.

Stan87

I actually just read an article on this from the UK and yes, technically it's not "legal" but it would be nearly impossible for anyone to prosecute you. When you are streaming content, you are not sharing and distributing it which is an offence, the data is just stored temporarily in your cache. If you are making money out of it, for instance by selling fully loaded boxes then you are taking a fat chance but for the end user, I think its pretty safe. It's much safer than torrenting anyway. Here's that article http://www.mirror.co.uk/tech/kodi-boxes-legal-uk-how-9787919

mercury12

Expert Member
I am not sure how plausible or true this is but Ive read that some addons turn you media box into a media server, that serves data in a peer-to-peer network, resulting in high cpu load and use of upstream bandwidth.

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master
It's illegal when distributing it or any form of financial gain. For personal use it's fine. Overseas laws does not have any jurisdiction about what we do here unless this kuntry decides to change the laws to prosecute the user.
Yes but this country has a crook as a president, who has other people controlling him, who has another bloke using violence in parliament. Then we have rapists and murderers who are in jail for a few months before they are released, and people want to know about illegal streaming.

The innocent man who just wants to sit down with his family, and watch a lekker movie, and there are fools like DSTV spies on here trying to get these things banned.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
What is exodus?