Is the lockdown being enforced in your area

noxibox

Honorary Master
Tell me about it. We have a two year old here. He's been off nursery for about 10 days now.
Up and bouncing at 6am and collapses into a heap of teary tiredness at around 5:30pm.

Nice and considerate of him to have also ditched his two hour midday nap about a month ago too.

Luckily we have a decent size garden.

What makes me sad the most is his latest phrase when we go for a walk in our local wood half a mile from the house (still afforded this 'luxury' in the UK).

'No one'.

It's all well and good telling people to binge watch TV shows etc, but no one seems to have given any thought to enforced, protracted isolation for young children and their mental wellbeing.
I don't think its a big deal for a child that age. They're not even isolated because they're with their parents. It's the older children who face isolation from friends.

As for "No one" that's just stating a fact. Adults may read something more into the statement.

I have a question, how will you react if you need to make your property available for those in need?
Not a chance.

noxibox

Honorary Master
Quite perturbing how easily neighbours turn on each other and claim they are 'enemies of the state'. Fortunately our FB neighborhood group has banned pictures of people breaking the rules.
It doesn't really surprise me. Throughout history humans have done this. Our natural inclination is to harm those who don't follow the tribal rules.

wizardofid

Executive Member
Wow first time I have been out in public in 6 weeks.Was seriously short on supplies before the lock, but ran out coffee yesterday, that was pretty much it and decided to brave the stores finally.

It was a bit of a mix bag in zastron.Checkers had lines outside, was pretty quick, they only allowed 10 people at a time. It is a pretty small checkers so I understand. The Pakistani shops were open, but no control on the amount of people or any distancing what so ever.Wasnt going to risk it so walked out.

While waiting outside checkers to get in, a police van stopped, and asked one lady standing around chatting with other people what she was doing, and politely asked her to get in the back of the van.Every one just wide eyed and carried on with their business as usual.

Found that the Asian store owners just decided not to open at all.They are pretty paranoid it seems.No road blocks or any thing.Only issue really while spar had protective screen and masks and gloves for their tellers, checkers had zero protection at all, they are only getting screens next week. Pretty pointless.

Generally found the older folks that were out and about were a lot more paranoid, with masks, gloves, eye cover ect and were following social distancing to the letter.Only get paid on the 12th had to make do with what cash we had left over from last most.So mostly got stuff to make soup and curries and pasta.

So I am good for another two weeks at least.

BTW spar sold smokes but you had to buy other stuff and arranged with the local Pakistani before hand to get two cartons and two cartons next week.These are imports from Lesotho, that gets smuggled across the border, big brand stuff for a 3rd of the price.

I have coffee and smokes, so I am sorted for the zombie apocalypse, for two weeks.

semiautomatix

Honorary Master
Quite perturbing how easily neighbours turn on each other and claim they are 'enemies of the state'. Fortunately our FB neighborhood group has banned pictures of people breaking the rules.
Look if some guy breaking the law is going to increase lockdown by several weeks then I say rat him out to the authorities. The rules are there for a reason, just because some entitled prick thinks they don't apply doesn't suddenly make the neighbours narcs - they're the ones doing the right thing.

semiautomatix

Honorary Master
This would be quite disturbing if this were an authoritarian state, without good reason (1984 or Handmaids Tale) but this is actually a state of disaster and the current laws are for everyone's protection, not just the upper echelons.

Steamy Tom

Executive Member
so - R5000 fine per person breaking lockdown rules, and R1000 reward for a successful tip off - may the odds be in your favour :p

MirageF1

Executive Member
Not in the slightest.

Haven't seen a SAPS, SANDF or CoCT traffic officer in weeks...

No doubt it will remain so ( thankfully).

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Our gated community has finally dug its heels in and effectively banned all visitors. Great stuff! Seen an immediate drop in vehicle traffic past my gate.

hjst45

Not at all in PE, people getting more relaxed and streets are much busier than last week

hashbrown99

Expert Member
I stay in Benoni very close the the CBD.
Only seen the Police so far patrolling. Every so often you see somebody running after the Police didn't buy their story and told them to 'Fokof Huistoe!'.
Haven't seen anything in Benoni. The only thing I have seen is the Ekhuruleni Metro Police helping to police the lock down in Alberton as I drive to work by manning speed cameras:rolleyes: