Is the new parental leave paid leave?

KingAuthor

Good day.

As some may be aware, the new parental leave law kicked in on 01 January 2019. I have read some articles on the new law, some say it is 10 consecutive unpaid leave days while some say it is 10 consecutive paid leave days.

Which one is it? Paid or unpaid?

Apologies I can't post my sources as I am on mobile and I was just reading the articles on the go.

Smokey888

As per comment above, most companies are going for 66% full pay and you need to claim the balance from UIF, but it also differs from company to company and depending on their policies.

The LAW is actually just to say you have the option of taking up to 10 days without using your annual leave.

Also remember that you are still entitled to 3 days family responsibility leave, so if you actually want to get the most, you can get up to 13 days without using Annual leave.

KingAuthor

As per comment above, most companies are going for 66% full pay and you need to claim the balance from UIF, but it also differs from company to company and depending on their policies.

The LAW is actually just to say you have the option of taking up to 10 days without using your annual leave.

Also remember that you are still entitled to 3 days family responsibility leave, so if you actually want to get the most, you can get up to 13 days without using Annual leave.
Hmmm. I think our interpretations may differ :unsure:.

• "most companies are going for 66% full pay" - I thought the 66% is meant to come from the UIF, the employer is not obligated to pay anything.
  • "The LAW is actually just to say you have the option of taking up to 10 days without using your annual leave" - I also thought it's 10 consecutive days, not just 10 working days, which amounts to 8 working days when we include weekends.
  • "Also remember that you are still entitled to 3 days family responsibility leave, so if you actually want to get the most, you can get up to 13 days without using Annual leave." - from what I have interpreted, you can only take family responsibility leave when the child is sick or death of a family member, you can no longer take family responsibility leave upon the birth or adoption of a child.
  • And the birth mother cannot take parental leave, only maternity leave.
That is my interpretation, so I may be wrong.

Last edited:

Smokey888

Hmmm. I think our interpretations may differ :unsure:.

• "most companies are going for 66% full pay" - I thought the 66% is meant to come from the UIF, the employer is not obligated to pay anything.
  • "The LAW is actually just to say you have the option of taking up to 10 days without using your annual leave" - I also thought it's 10 consecutive days, not just 10 working days, which amounts to 8 working days when we include weekends.
  • "Also remember that you are still entitled to 3 days family responsibility leave, so if you actually want to get the most, you can get up to 13 days without using Annual leave." - from what I have interpreted, you can only take family responsibility leave when the child is sick or death of a family member, you can no longer take family responsibility leave upon the birth or adoption of a child.
  • And the birth mother cannot take parental leave, only maternity leave.
That is my interpretation, so I may be wrong.
I did refer to company policies may differ. I was referring to the company I work for is exactly as per above.

KingAuthor

I did refer to company policies may differ. I was referring to the company I work for is exactly as per above.
Yes I understand, but what exactly differs? Because I saw you talking about the law and being entitled to some things.

Smokey888

what differs is the company paying 66% and I claim the balance from UIF vs you are saying UIF pays 66% and you get the balance from the company... if you are lucky.

Again, the law states up to 10 days, you don't have to take it, previously there was no parental leave. IE the company cannot dis-allow you from taking 10 days as the law protects you...

KingAuthor

what differs is the company paying 66% and I claim the balance from UIF vs you are saying UIF pays 66% and you get the balance from the company... if you are lucky.

Again, the law states up to 10 days, you don't have to take it, previously there was no parental leave. IE the company cannot dis-allow you from taking 10 days as the law protects you...
Oh, so your company pays 66%?

But the law does not say you can take 10 days parental leave, by interpretation its probably 8 days.

geezer

Expert Member
A very good explanation of the rules pertaining to parental leave can be read here:

Chuckmyster

Honorary Master
it is unpaid leave

EDIT: i see if you earn under R205k a year you can ask UIF for 66% salary

Smokey888

I guess I must be thankful for an awesome employer willing to still pay me 66% full salary for the 10 days.

KingAuthor

A very good explanation of the rules pertaining to parental leave can be read here:
Thank you for this article, I think it clarifies a lot of things. Well written article :thumbsup:.