Is the world flat or round?

The shape of the earth.

• Round - It's simple physics, the earth can't be any shape but round, like all the other planets.

Votes: 157 80.1%
  • Round - I just believe what the schools tell me, why would they lie?

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Flat - I've done my own research and come to my own conclusion about it.

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • Flat - I don't need anyone to tell me the shape because I can clearly see that it's flat, like duh.

Votes: 9 4.6%
  • Who cares - I just don't care, like what difference does that make to my life anyway?

Votes: 12 6.1%
  • A singularity - The true shape of the earth can never be known.

Votes: 10 5.1%

• Total voters

crocopede

back in the day people believed that earth was flat. This was common knowledge.

People starting sailing around and drinking rum and so forth then decided earth has to be round otherwise they would have fallen off. But that could also mean its just physics we dont fully understand.

Perhaps there are some advanced forces occurring near the edges of the flat earth that pushes you back. Truth is i don't know. And im pretty sure you dont know either.

Majority of people will argue the earth is round.
How do you know that earth is round? Because it just makes sense right?

Well it also just made sense that earth was flat didn't it? Before people were "educated"
But have you actually gone up into space and looked back at earth to see its shape?

Or do you just believe what books and pictures are telling you?
Seems ludicrous. Why would someone lie to us all?

The point is. I am slowly realizing that we the masses readily believe everything we are told to believe. Without question. The earth is round, that's how it is. But what evidence do you as an individual have that this is indeed true?

I don't know. Maybe you do have some evidence. So i will ask myself. What evidence do i have? Well i saw pictures. I read it in books. Everyone tells me its round. And im just too damn lazy to study the intricacies of building a craft capable of space travel in order to go look for myself.

I guess my issue isn't really so much if earth is flat or round. But more a sobering realization that everything i believe to be fact... is based on what others are telling me. And with the 8 - 5 grind, food, sleep repeat life... one simply loses curiosity. Caught up in a downward spiral where we have effectively become a zombie race that makes no advancement for our species. After all... how can we if we are hanging on to a thread... just trying to make it through this mundane existence. Not questing it... and even when we do question it... we realize that if you do happen to break away from this maze of despair... you will be 1. Singled out.

I wonder if we will ever wake up. Break away from the hate. Which is ultimately created by our system of money and survival.

wizardofid

Expert Member
Sigh, earth isn't round either it's an oblate spheroid because of the bulge around the equator....

How do you know that earth is round? Because it just makes sense right
No because it has been proven time and again that gravity the strongest force in the universe will not allow matter to settle like that.It's got F-all to do with sense, but all to do with gravity, the fact that gravity is the only reason that the universe exists.

You can apply the same stupid logic and say the sun is flat, which is also physically impossible as the sun would never be able to attract enough matter and heat to force a nuclear reaction with the hydrogen it has collected. Same applies to the moon, you would never have had water tides, simply wouldn't be enough matter to keep the moon in orbit.The fact that the moon was much closer to earth billions of years ago, the impact of water tides was much greater resulting in much needed minerals getting washed inland and inland primordial pools for life to take hold.

I don't know where you get this makes sense things, are you even aware water isn't flat, and if you were to pour it in glass right up to the rim, and drop water bit for bit till it can't hold any more, you will finding it's is bulging over the rim. Nothing in the natural universe is perfectly flat either, it is an atomically improbability, we get varying degrees of flatness, however neutron stars and black holes and pulsars is an abnormality to the equation.Gravitational forces is so strong, it's unlikely if you were to take a metal sheet on to a neutron star surface to measure flatness it wouldn't survive in that shape very long, it would actually be forced in to an object that is round in shape, and ironically the same applies to earth and any thing else in the universe the path of least resistance for matter to resist gravitational forces is an round object as gravity enacts it's forces around matter and not just in one direction.

In order for a flat earth theory you need a super duper, special special theory of relativity that completely ignores gravity as a force on enacted on the universe.Stupidly people apply the logic to earth but what about the rest of the universe.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Two simple answers to that.

1. WHY would anyone go through all that effort of faking every photo related to space travel? We live in a world where there is amateur photography even in space. People sending GoPros up in weather balloons and the like. It's impossible to fake it at this point.

2. Go skydiving and see it for yourself.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
back in the day people believed that earth was flat. This was common knowledge.

People starting sailing around and drinking rum and so forth then decided earth has to be round otherwise they would have fallen off. But that could also mean its just physics we dont fully understand.

Perhaps there are some advanced forces occurring near the edges of the flat earth that pushes you back. Truth is i don't know. And im pretty sure you dont know either.

How do you know that earth is round? Because it just makes sense right?

Well it also just made sense that earth was flat didn't it? Before people were "educated"
But have you actually gone up into space and looked back at earth to see its shape?

Or do you just believe what books and pictures are telling you?
Seems ludicrous. Why would someone lie to us all?

The point is. I am slowly realizing that we the masses readily believe everything we are told to believe. Without question. The earth is round, that's how it is. But what evidence do you as an individual have that this is indeed true?

I don't know. Maybe you do have some evidence. So i will ask myself. What evidence do i have? Well i saw pictures. I read it in books. Everyone tells me its round. And im just too damn lazy to study the intricacies of building a craft capable of space travel in order to go look for myself.

I guess my issue isn't really so much if earth is flat or round. But more a sobering realization that everything i believe to be fact... is based on what others are telling me. And with the 8 - 5 grind, food, sleep repeat life... one simply loses curiosity. Caught up in a downward spiral where we have effectively become a zombie race that makes no advancement for our species. After all... how can we if we are hanging on to a thread... just trying to make it through this mundane existence. Not questing it... and even when we do question it... we realize that if you do happen to break away from this maze of despair... you will be 1. Singled out.

I wonder if we will ever wake up. Break away from the hate. Which is ultimately created by our system of money and survival.
If it was flat one would see much more from a standard passenger jet airplane...

If it was flat why are there time zones? Why can you detect that the sun rises earlier in Kruger Park vs Cape Town? The sun would come up for everyone at the same time and set for everyone at the same time.

You should rather THINK a bit about your subject before typing such a long wasted post...

Sokum

You can do this for yourself and see.
[video=youtube;Mw30CgaXiQw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mw30CgaXiQw[/video]

So just sit and think about your question and re-evaluate your thought process, this guy did this more than 2000 year ago with a stick,you had Google!!

Last edited:

Strange

Sigh, earth isn't round either it's an oblate spheroid because of the bulge around the equator....

No because it has been proven time and again that gravity the strongest force in the universe will not allow matter to settle like that.It's got F-all to do with sense, but all to do with gravity, the fact that gravity is the only reason that the universe exists.

You can apply the same stupid logic and say the sun is flat, which is also physically impossible as the sun would never be able to attract enough matter and heat to force a nuclear reaction with the hydrogen it has collected. Same applies to the moon, you would never have had water tides, simply wouldn't be enough matter to keep the moon in orbit.The fact that the moon was much closer to earth billions of years ago, the impact of water tides was much greater resulting in much needed minerals getting washed inland and inland primordial pools for life to take hold.

I don't know where you get this makes sense things, are you even aware water isn't flat, and if you were to pour it in glass right up to the rim, and drop water bit for bit till it can't hold any more, you will finding it's is bulging over the rim. Nothing in the natural universe is perfectly flat either, it is an atomically improbability, we get varying degrees of flatness, however neutron stars and black holes and pulsars is an abnormality to the equation.Gravitational forces is so strong, it's unlikely if you were to take a metal sheet on to a neutron star surface to measure flatness it wouldn't survive in that shape very long, it would actually be forced in to an object that is round in shape, and ironically the same applies to earth and any thing else in the universe the path of least resistance for matter to resist gravitational forces is an round object as gravity enacts it's forces around matter and not just in one direction.

In order for a flat earth theory you need a super duper, special special theory of relativity that completely ignores gravity as a force on enacted on the universe.Stupidly people apply the logic to earth but what about the rest of the universe.
Just nitpicking, but gravity is orders of magnitudes weaker than the electromagnetic and the strong and weak nuclear forces. :)