Is the world flat or round?

The shape of the earth.

• Round - It's simple physics, the earth can't be any shape but round, like all the other planets.

Votes: 268 78.1%
  • Round - I just believe what the schools tell me, why would they lie?

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Flat - I've done my own research and come to my own conclusion about it.

Votes: 9 2.6%
  • Flat - I don't need anyone to tell me the shape because I can clearly see that it's flat, like duh.

Votes: 16 4.7%
  • Who cares - I just don't care, like what difference does that make to my life anyway?

Votes: 24 7.0%
  • A singularity - The true shape of the earth can never be known.

Votes: 24 7.0%

• Total voters

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Someone technical will be along in a minute to explain nicely. But in the meantime, if you look at the inflight graphics on some airlines, you’ll see pilots use the horizon to stay level.

Thinking about it, if the earth was flat and you were using the horizon to stay level, you’d be on a downward trajectory. Like flying along the hypotenuse side of a triangle.

That makes sense in my head.
What is the hypotenuse side of a triangle?

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
The long side opposite the right angle. But I’m sure you know this, where are you going with it?
Correct, only a right angle triangle has a hypotenuse not all traingles.
So what has that got to with a triangle and what has it to do with the horizon indicator on a plane?

Temujin

Executive Member
Maybe you should read the book of enoch before posting a video in the 'flat earth thread' of someone selectively picking and choosing content from it about spirits and giants... the book of enoch destroys your current flat earth model... so which is it, book of enoch is the true and you need to rework your flat earth model, or book of enoch false and you stand by your current flat earth model?:ROFL:

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Yes, downward trajectory is correct. Otherwise, you'd never land. Flat earth confirmed!
Correct an aeroplane is always falling towards the earth following the curvature of the earth. All that keeps it aloft is the lift on the wings and the speed and thrust of the engines!

Last edited:

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Correct, only a right angle triangle has a hypotenuse not all traingles.
So what has that got to with a triangle and what has it to do with the horizon indicator on a plane?
Plane cruising at 35000 ft.

Horizon square in the sights on the in flight graphics so the plane is flying parallel to the ground and maintaining the same altitude.

Otherwise

If the earth was flat and horizon was square in the sights, the plane would be flying towards the earth at an angle and altitude would BE constantly going down. Like the plane was flying along the hypotenuse of a triangle.

I told you it sound right in my head. Am I going to have to do a sketch? :whistling:

Last edited:

Spizz

Goat Botherer
There is a reason why the cockpit is locked. Have you seen the altimeter for yourself?
Only on the in flight entertainment. But thankfully maintaining a certain level stops you from crashing into other planes heading in different directions, so I’ll go with that explanation thanks.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Plane cruising at 35000 ft.

Horizon square in the sights on the in flight graphics so the plane is flying parallel to the ground and maintaining the same altitude.

Otherwise

If the earth was flat and horizon was square in the sights, the plane would be flying towards the earth at an angle and altitude would BE constantly going down. Like the plane was flying along the hypotenuse of a triangle.

I told you it sound right in my head. Am I going to have to do a sketch? :whistling:
Edited typos.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
The two shorter sides of a right angle are called legs. They are usually labeled with the letters “a” and “b.” The third side, which is opposite the 90-degree angle, is called the hypotenuse and is usually labeled “c.”

Wrong use of geometry to try and "prove" that level flight means parallel to the surface of the earth.
e7e55727dbed4effa9d2e635a19256a1.jpg

Last edited:

Spizz

Goat Botherer
The two shorter sides of a right angle are called legs. They are usually labeled with the letters “a” and “b.” The third side, which is opposite the 90-degree angle, is called the hypotenuse and is usually labeled “c.”
View attachment 638588
Yep, I hope I know that because I’m a civil engineer :p

Anyway, I knew I’d have to do a sketch...

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Yep, I hope I know that because I’m a civil engineer :p

Anyway, I knew I’d have to do a sketch...

Still wrong. If the earth was flat, the triangle would move with you if you maintained "level" flight ......
If the earth was round, the triangle would still move with you if you maintained "level" flight.
Assume of course the earth is a completely smooth ball.
A level in a plane is determined by barometric pressure not by measuring one of the legs of the triangle. ( AGL).

neoprema

Expert Member
Wait, i thought we shipped all the flat-earthers off world already? The weather is nice on Mars this time of year and the air has a cool, fresh acid to it. Let's go... flat-earthers get in the ship first.

Anti-vaccers you're next to board.